BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i posted earlier this week about an overheating issue i was having. from my diagnosis the issue seems to be with the electric cooling fan not starting...when i took a closer look at the fan i noticed the leads look burnt, then i remembered that there was an aux. fan recall in 2001, so i got nervous and yanked the fan out in case mine was one that had the problem but never got replaced....anyways, here's a pic of the fan...you can see the wires are all burnt, and even some of the plastic has burnt...i'm not sure how this happened, and the scary part is that it didn't even trip a fuse! anyone else out there seen this with their fans?

also, since i was able to pull the fan out i figured i would just pick up a new one...it's $600CDN for the whole assembly and you can't just buy a new motor!! why is this so expensive? :dunno:

also i talked to bmwna to find out about the recall...they assured me that my car was not one of the ones that was affected by this recall, and that it was highly unlikely that mine would have been missed...but according to the serial numbers for the recall my car was only 600 behind...i don't know...what do you all think?

Attachments

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Well, it's a Siemens fan. And IIRC the first recall replacement batch had Siemens in them that were also still bad. All the 2nd and 3rd round replacements were all Bosch, so IMO it's likely that you got one that was 'fixed' but still marginal, thus lasting 3+ years, not 3 weeks.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Ace said:
also, since i was able to pull the fan out i figured i would just pick up a new one...it's $600CDN for the whole assembly and you can't just buy a new motor!! why is this so expensive? :dunno:

also i talked to bmwna to find out about the recall...they assured me that my car was not one of the ones that was affected by this recall, and that it was highly unlikely that mine would have been missed...but according to the serial numbers for the recall my car was only 600 behind...i don't know...what do you all think?
What's the whole part number for that fan (it is off the left edge in the picture). You could just post all the numbers on the sticker if you can't tell which is the part number.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terry Kennedy said:
What's the whole part number for that fan (it is off the left edge in the picture). You could just post all the numbers on the sticker if you can't tell which is the part number.
i cropped the sticker from the photo...hope this helps...are you able to tell something from the part number?

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kaz said:
Well, it's a Siemens fan. And IIRC the first recall replacement batch had Siemens in them that were also still bad. All the 2nd and 3rd round replacements were all Bosch, so IMO it's likely that you got one that was 'fixed' but still marginal, thus lasting 3+ years, not 3 weeks.
so do you think that this may be something that bmwna would still cover? or most probably not...i would guess no, but it still seems unsafe that the fan housing burnt, and still didn't blow a fuse :dunno:

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Ace said:
i cropped the sticker from the photo...hope this helps...are you able to tell something from the part number?
Well, I wanted to look it up to see if it had been superseded, but I'm not getting anything from those numbers, sorry.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Huh, Terry's right. It's not in the ETK. Interesting that it's locally sourced (Canada). I know it's next to impossible these days, but I'd try to get it covered under the fan recall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts