BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Buttonwillow: June 28 Driving Concepts High Performance Driving School

Of course I will! :D Thanks for reminding me. No one really asked me about the ALPINA buttons. Not even the AutoX instructor. :( Maybe he thought the buttons were for the electric windows? :lmao:

I am really curious about Driving Concepts. Seems like there aren't much info about this company. So with the kind of fee I have to pay, they should assign an instructor to me right? How does this usually work?

nate328Ci said:

Use the paddles

btw, does anyone ever ask how you got an SMG 325? :lmao:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buttonwillow: June 28 Driving Concepts High Performance Driving School

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Of course I will! :D Thanks for reminding me. No one really asked me about the ALPINA buttons. Not even the AutoX instructor. :( Maybe he thought the buttons were for the electric windows? :lmao:

I am really curious about Driving Concepts. Seems like there aren't much info about this company. So with the kind of fee I have to pay, they should assign an instructor to me right? How does this usually work?

You will get an instuctor :D

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buttonwillow: June 28 Driving Concepts High Performance Driving School

So no timed runs, right? And woohoo! No cones! :p But got track dirt...:confused:

Damn, I am jumping with joy right now. Wait, while I jump a few more times...woohoo!!

nate328Ci said:

You will get an instuctor :D

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Vince, Call kevin Hite!

Vince -

Kevin Hite at Crevier BMW has used Driving Concepts many times (becuase they'll take the M Roadsters with a hard top).

Give Kevin Hite a call and I'm sure he'll be able to answer some ?s for you.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Raffi, you and Sergio ever attend a Driving Concept Event? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Vince, Call kevin Hite!

Scott, thanks for the note! :)

I guess you won't be attending? ;)

scottn2retro said:
Vince -

Kevin Hite at Crevier BMW has used Driving Concepts many times (becuase they'll take the M Roadsters with a hard top).

Give Kevin Hite a call and I'm sure he'll be able to answer some ?s for you.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed Sergio. Haven't heard from him yet. Guess I will have to call...:(

btw, here's what got from Judy Ray of Driving Concepts:

We will start the day with registration, etc..at 7:30 (Buttonwillow has
a great air conditioned classroom that will feel great this time of
year)...then have classroom for all students. We limit our student
count to 30-32 and will divide them up into two run groups based on
experience and type of car. Each student will have an in-car instructor
and if you do the math of run groups and hours....everyone will have the
availability of up to 4 hours of track time. We will intersperse the
day with class and will break for lunch as it is important to meet and
talk with your fellow students...networking, etc. Lunch and a light
breakfast is included in the cost of $395 for the day.

Since we have complete control of the track, we can be flexible as
demand, need, etc. allow. There will be a full compliment of safety
equipment on site.

You can expect to get lots of track time, have great one-on-one
instruction and go home a tired but happy camper at the end of the day.
If you care to join us, please download an application from our website
and fax it to us as soon as possible. We will then send you an info
sheet, tech form and helmet release. We do have loaner helmets
available.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I'm looking at doing a Derek Daly Academy in August!

I guess you won't be attending? ;)
I'm trying to work out my work schedule (we just launched a satellite and I'm on the mission team flying it) to do a Derek Daly 2 day GT class in Las Vegas on August 22-23.

You use THEIR cars! They use Z3's with roll cages (so the wheelbase and vehicle dynamics should be similar to M Roadster) and 3 series for the skid cars.

You pay more but I won't thrash my baby around.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Driving concepts

IMHO-this course is too much money. One put on by you local BMW chapter is usually better (I recommend this for your first one or two schools) or if you don't need as much instruction, there are much cheaper events, like the one posted above at Buttonwillow for $165. I just did that one on the 9th and it was great. Lots of track time and as much or as little instruction as you want. Definitely not as many instructors, though.
The BMW clubs usually have a 2:1 student to driver ratio.

What ever you choose, go for it. But beware it is extremely addictive. I now have a set of race wheels/tires just for track days and this is where you will really appreciate a modified my suspension
-T

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow! Great write up!

I really, really need my car now!!! I have access to my old twin turbo z but it needs way too much work.....where to find a car, hmmm that rental buick sounds like it just may work.

:thumbup:

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
The HACK said:
Raffi, you and Sergio ever attend a Driving Concept Event? Any thoughts?
Dan, I've never taken a Driving Concepts course, but:
1. Many of the instructors from the LA and CCC chapters also work for Driving Concepts;
2. Carl McGinn, the chief instructor for the LA chapter (and I think for all the California schools in general) is the owner (or one of the owners) of Driving Concepts;
3. They have an excellent reputation; and
4. I had the pleasure of having Carl McGinn as my instructor last Friday at Buttonwillow. He is absolutely awesome.

I would recommend his school anytime. After I get a few more schools (6 or so) I will take the Racing school put on by Driving Concepts to get my racing license! :D :D :bigpimp:

Later.

EDIT - PS: BTW, Judy Ray is an AWESOME instructor too, I just noticed her post.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Lunch and a light breakfast is included in the cost of $395 for the day.
Well, that's the same price BMWCCA L.A. charges for a 2 day event at the same track...:(

Too rich and too little track time for my taste, but I will be there at the same track for the BMWCCA CCC school in September. Who wants to join me?!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.