BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to weigh the positives and negatives here. I'm well aware of the differences between the I and the IS, which mainly is the power output and DCT tranny. Trying to hunt for the 335is but it is proving to be very difficult. Best I have right now is:

I can buy a '13 CPO 335i with 27k miles for $31k

Or...

I can buy a '13 CPO 335is with 34k miles for $36.5k.

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
Trying to weigh the positives and negatives here. I'm well aware of the differences between the I and the IS, which mainly is the power output and DCT tranny. Trying to hunt for the 335is but it is proving to be very difficult. Best I have right now is:

Or...

Several factors come into play I believe. Which one do you HAVE to have? Obviously check out the service history (most important). Miles seem reasonable. How much warranty left. Color, options, etc. Just remember these guys make quite a bit in a used car so believe me when 15% profit is generally the wiggle room. Bottom line is pick the one you're in love with. No regrets feels much better imo. :thumbup:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Several factors come into play I believe. Which one do you HAVE to have? Obviously check out the service history (most important). Miles seem reasonable. How much warranty left. Color, options, etc. Just remember these guys make quite a bit in a used car so believe me when 15% profit is generally the wiggle room. Bottom line is pick the one you're in love with. No regrets feels much better imo. :thumbup:
Yeah it's a tough call. Only real thing keeping me from the 335is is I'd have to drive hours out of state to get it.

Both cars have warranty lives with 3 months of each other. Both had one owner and have the service records to back them up.

These prices were negotiated....however I can get the 335is now because it had the airbag recall done, where the 335i hasn't.

But my biggest question is if the 335is justifies a $5k premium, even with 7k more miles than the other.

·
RLTW
568 Posts

Or...

I was in your shoes in 2013 when I was looking to replace my 2011 335i. The main selling points for me as a guy that likes to mod my car were the DCT AND the N54 motor which was only available in the 335is at that point. If the N54 hadn't been available in the 335is I wouldn't have even bothered with another BMW. To me the difference between the two drivetrains was worth every penny of the premium.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree with bimmer, the dct transmission is worth the price alone . If it is within you budget I would go with the IS. I did and I do not regret it one bit . There was a price spread between the models when I bought my car too , but not 5,000.00. I think I read somewhere that that is about their cost for BMW when they add the options for the IS. I might not be a 100 percent right on this , but here are some add ons you get with the IS: n 54 engine, 2 separate turbos, not one. Dct transmission, Upgraded M package . M steering wheel. Two separate exhaust tubes, metal accents on the interior, IS badging inside and out, special molding on the exterior and underbody panels. Two fog lights on the convertible. Sport button. Launch control. Paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Hk sound system.

Also, the IS is very rare and will hold its value much better.

The n54 engine was my choice , this engine has been around for a long time and they have fixed many of the early issues with it.

Get the IS if you can afford it, you will never regret it . If you buy the 335i, you will always be wondering , what if!!!!

·
BruceJ
122 Posts
You didn't mention options, is this not a player in your decision. Of note about the only option not offered on the 335is is the radar assisted cruise control

BTW, I love my E93 335is.. When I went through the same decision as you what won out was I didn't want to spend the next couple of years trying to turn it into a 335is.

Good Luck

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is probably best left for another thread....

But are the seats the same between the I and is? They look the same, but the is seat belt stiffer.....but could have just been how the seat was setup by the previous driver.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm not sure about the seats, I'm pretty sure they are the same . The seats in the IS have a ton of adjustments . Make sure you get two keys and fobs with it. The seats will go back to the last setting on your keyfobs . So if you use the same one all of the time and someone else drives your car with the other fob, use you fob and it will go back to where you had it the last time you drove it. Send pictures when you get it, congrats buddy!!!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

Or...

Two years ago I had exactly the same situation - same mileage and prices on 2011 cars.
Went for 335i as in my mind 5k miles is worth about a year of driving and +$5K in price wasn't worth for me getting 335is..
And never regretted the decision. Would do the same today as ~$7k price delta (for equivalent mileage) is simply too much ...
I would rather buy M3 if I wanted something noticeably "better" than 335i

·
RLTW
568 Posts
The 335is comes with the sports seats. If the 335i came with the sports pkg then they would be the same.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 335is comes with the sports seats. If the 335i came with the sports pkg then they would be the same.
Thank you. The 335i I sat in had the sports seats, so if they are the same seat in both cars, then I must have just needed to adjust them.

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
That looks absolutely beautiful! I'd have to say you made the correct choice. Good decision. Now let's see a video of your happy dance! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts