BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have the chance to buy a Z4 that looks like new but it had a head-on crash earlier in it's life, so it also has a salvage title. What should I look for to see if it is OK? Do you think it could come out of this and be safe? I don't know who fixed it or what exactly was damaged so all I have is the car as it is now, which looks pretty sweet (less than 30K miles for a 2006 and the interior looks like new).
Thanks,
Mandoman

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
Get the VIN and do some research.

There's a site where you can purchase/place a bid on wrecked cars. Maybe you can track the life of this Z4 from when it was wrecked, who purchased it to fixed it and how much they sold it for.

Maybe someone here will have more insight. But this is a start for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would feel queesy about it. You never know what could have been damaged but just hasn't shown up yet. I once had a chevy that was in a front end wreck. Repaired but afterwards the AC would cut out intermttantly. Never could track it down. Not fun in the South Carolina summer where I lived at the time. But I suppose if it was the right deal???????

·
Registered
101 Posts
I purchased a salvaged car that was repaired - I had no problems with it beside the paperwork in my state when I first got it. Just keep in mind your not going to get much for it if you ever decide to sell it. I guess I am lucky with mine as i know there can be major problems with one.

Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Years back I bought a 1990 RX-7 convertible with a salvage title because I had always loved the car since they rolled off the line. I knew it was a risk and I'd never get much for it if I ever sold her (as others have pointed out), but that's not why I did it. I loved the car and it was a chance to get one for a steal. I drove her for many happy, contented years before some rather major repairs (unrelated to the salvage title) made owning her financially irresponsible. (Rebuilding a rotary engine? $$$). So now I have my Z4. Once you go convertible, you don't go back. So I'd say if you like the car and she gets a clean bill of health from someone you trust, go for it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have to agree with Courtier, take it in to a good shop and have it checked out, ensure you tell them that it was in a head on so they can spend some extra time. It is kinda a roll of the dice. My daughter almost bought a salvage toyota, the inspection place told us it was worth only $600 and mainly becouse it had new tires on it. We decided against that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. After closer inspection I decided not to buy. Very tempting though, a 2006 3.0 6 speed with 22K miles for $16,900. The interior had some issues like a couple of the bags not installed. I found out it's been for sale for over a year. Kind of sad actually, she needs someone to take care of her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts