BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retired and happy
488 Posts
Try your dealer

A case of the BMW synthetic oil is pretty heavy so shipping costs would probably wipe out any discounts.

At a list price of $4.60-$4.80 a can it's reasonably priced compared to some of the other synthetics. If you are a BMW CCA member you should get a discount of 10% to 15% from your nearest BMW dealer. They might even increase the discount for the purchase of a case at a time.

Bottom Line: Check with your dealer's parts counter first.

My $0.02. YMMV

·
Banned
20 Posts
Why do you need Synthetic oil? I have used it at different times for many years on many cars. I haven't seen the difference beteween the 2 types of oil. There is even some NASCAR teams that don't use it, which I find hard to believe. If you change your oil on a regular basis then IMO you don't need it. If you got the extra money to buy it then go for it.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gslracing said:
Why do you need Synthetic oil? I have used it at different times for many years on many cars. I haven't seen the difference beteween the 2 types of oil. There is even some NASCAR teams that don't use it, which I find hard to believe. If you change your oil on a regular basis then IMO you don't need it. If you got the extra money to buy it then go for it.
You're about to open up a can of worms here..

Look in your owners manual, it'll tell you that your car requires oil changes.

Now, without a doubt, this is in part due to BMW's 15,000 mile oil service intervals. I change my oil every 7500 but I certainly still use synthetic...

If you want to change every 3000 miles with dino oil, feel free, but wouldn't you admit that if I can go twice as long between changes then we're probably spending about the same on an oil change? Except I only have to change it half as often?

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
KrisL said:
Now, without a doubt, this is in part due to BMW's 15,000 mile oil service intervals. I change my oil every 7500 but I certainly still use synthetic...
My understanding was that the synthetic oil can actually go longer than 15k miles, but the paper filters cannot. Also, that engine temperatures were a factor in the choice of synthetic versus dino oil.

In any case, like you I change my oil twice a year at roughly 7500 mile intervals. And the 10-60 oil for my new M is going to make $5 a quart Mobil 1 look cheap...

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
gslracing said:
Why do you need Synthetic oil?
BMWs new car warranty requires an approved sythetic oil.

I don't use synthetic oil in my 1990 535i.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
And no matter what the NASCAR on car advertising shows, just about every race car uses synthetic oil because it reduce lubrication drag, meaning more HP to the rear wheels.

And why do you need it, warranty, better gas mileage, better engine protection.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Pinecone said:
And no matter what the NASCAR on car advertising shows, just about every race car uses synthetic oil because it reduce lubrication drag, meaning more HP to the rear wheels.

And why do you need it, warranty, better gas mileage, better engine protection.
I disagree, it does not help gas milage I proved that myself. Better engine protection, NOT!!! I raced cars for over 10 years, More HP...LOL I ran better times on average with the non-synthetic. Do your homework first before you post about something you don't know. I also have proved this in my fathers lab. If you want to buy SNAKE OIL then go ahead, not my problem.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
gslracing said:
I disagree, it does not help gas milage I proved that myself. Better engine protection, NOT!!! I raced cars for over 10 years, More HP...LOL I ran better times on average with the non-synthetic. Do your homework first before you post about something you don't know. I also have proved this in my fathers lab. If you want to buy SNAKE OIL then go ahead, not my problem.
I'll stay with the synthetic that BMW calls for,not the snake oil that way I know my car will still be in warranty.Besides theres not that many snakes around.
cheers
vern
PS Just maybe your behind the times

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I think it has to do with longevity rather than anything else.
If you are not changing oil for an year or 15K miles, the synthetic product will not break down as soon as the natural product.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
OK, post your methods and results.

MY results show a 1 - 1.5 MPG increase in gas mileage switching from conventional 10W-30 to Mobil 1 10W-30.

All tests show lower friction with a synthetic oil, lower friction means less internal drag, which means more HP. Synthetics also have better viscosity stability over a wide temperature range, which means less viscosity loss at high temps meaning more bearing protection. Synthetics have higher film strength, meaning better protection.

Snake oil, nope. Synthetic oils are just man made versions of conventional oils, but only using the best lubricating molecules. So it is nature, without the parts that don't do much to help the oils properties.

It does seem strange that you are the ONLY person I have ever heard that says that synthetics aren't better.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Pinecone said:
OK, post your methods and results.

MY results show a 1 - 1.5 MPG increase in gas mileage switching from conventional 10W-30 to Mobil 1 10W-30.

All tests show lower friction with a synthetic oil, lower friction means less internal drag, which means more HP. Synthetics also have better viscosity stability over a wide temperature range, which means less viscosity loss at high temps meaning more bearing protection. Synthetics have higher film strength, meaning better protection.

Snake oil, nope. Synthetic oils are just man made versions of conventional oils, but only using the best lubricating molecules. So it is nature, without the parts that don't do much to help the oils properties.

It does seem strange that you are the ONLY person I have ever heard that says that synthetics aren't better.
:thumbup:

Is the original poster also using 87 octane gasoline? :eeps:

·
Banned
20 Posts
It does seem strange that you are the ONLY person I have ever heard that says that synthetics aren't better.[/QUOTE]

IT DOES SEEM STRANGE THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY ID10T THAT BELIEVES IT...LMAO

·
Banned
20 Posts
vern said:
I'll stay with the synthetic that BMW calls for,not the snake oil that way I know my car will still be in warranty.Besides theres not that many snakes around.
cheers
vern
PS Just maybe your behind the times
JUST MAYBE YOUR JUST ANOTHER SUCKER THAT BELEIVES IN ADVERTISEMENT. GET A CLUE....MAYBE BMW CAN TAKE OIL FROM MY CAR & SAY "THATS NOT SYNTHETIC" JUST BY LOOKING AT IT. LOL

·
Bo's ready for the Big 10
27,337 Posts
gslracing said:
YOU KIDS REALLY NEED TO GROW UP & GET A LIFE.....LMFAO
Lets see, you type in red and call people names all in your first 30 days on the board. Pinecone has been here for years and is very knowledgeable on BMW's, racing and cars in general. You could be the expert of experts but your entire manner of posting suggests that you are a kid trying to play with the grown ups. Besides everyone knows synthetic tastes way better. :thumbup:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Is there something wrong doing what the manufacturer recommends?

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
gslracing said:
This fellow is sadly misinformed. Synthetic oil is required to maintain the warranty. And the oil he suggests won't last 15,000 miles. Probably not more than 4,000 to 5,000. I suspect he improves the oil by voiding his bladder into it. He also has no idea about BMW's mantenance program.

His garage says he owns a Corvette, so he's apparently a troll here to make waves and get his kicks. They're certainly not on Route 66. He also has to post in red so that people will think his posts are important. Red is about to become the new invisible.

Gentlemen, let's put him on ignore. I will as soon as I post this.

:wave: troll.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.