BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - have a 2013 X3 with 23k miles. Little or no maintenance issues yet. Am at end of lease, and am considering buying the certification. Any recommendations on possible issues with X3 from 23k to 60k miles? Will buy new tires, and do 30k tune-up. Otherwise, what can I expect? Is the extra warranty (cost about $2k) worth it?

·
Registered
664 Posts
It depends on if you're willing to get your hands dirty and do work yourself when needed.
Do you have any tools and a willingness to learn about your car? If not or you don't have the time, get the warranty as repair costs (especially if done at the dealership) will eat you alive. If this was a Lexus or Honda I'd be advising differently.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I always opt for self insuring on things like this, but that means you have to put your diligence into purchase. Given that the mileage is so low, it's probably in good shape. Does the warranty only last until 60k? If so, then I'd pass. These things don't fall apart that easily, and certainly not by 60k (although my experience is with the e83/e46/e39/e24 platforms).

·
Anti-Hack
5,128 Posts
If you are looking to save money, don't buy a vehicle off-lease unless you want to pay interest for 7-8 years on a single vehicle.

If you can't afford to purchase a brand-new X3, do this: turn the lease back in, and purchase a similar X3 off the used car lot. Lease turn-ins are not the dealer's property to resell, they get sent to auction, where dealers purchase them. When you purchase your vehicle at the end of the lease, you don't have much negotiation room; however, if you purchase someone else's lease turn-in, there is often substantial negotiation space. Moreover, (and I'm not sure why this isn't offered with yours, but presumably because the vehicle doesn't change hands to BMW and to a dealer when you buy out the lease), many BMWs are CPO and have a warranty/maintenance thru 100k miles.

I bought my 2008 CPO back in 2012 with 58k miles, warranty and maintenance covered through 100k or 6 years (Feb 2014). After negotiations and trading in my E46, I paid $12k for the car.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hello - have a 2013 X3 with 23k miles. Little or no maintenance issues yet. Am at end of lease, and am considering buying the certification. Any recommendations on possible issues with X3 from 23k to 60k miles? Will buy new tires, and do 30k tune-up. Otherwise, what can I expect? Is the extra warranty (cost about $2k) worth it?
Try pricing the warranty at various dealers. You can check with dealers at Bimmerfest and elsewhere. I think the BMW warranties are better than third party, but dealer prices vary. When my X3 went off CPO, I remember finding a dealer in Southern Cal who had a great price on an extended warranty, problem was they had to physically inspect the vehicle to sell the warranty. So look in the Seattle area, or plan on a road trip.

BTW, you posted this in the E83 forum, but you have an F25, was that intentional? (those of us with the older cars may have more experience with your situation)

If you are looking to save money, don't buy a vehicle off-lease unless you want to pay interest for 7-8 years on a single vehicle.

If you can't afford to purchase a brand-new X3, do this: turn the lease back in, and purchase a similar X3 off the used car lot. Lease turn-ins are not the dealer's property to resell, they get sent to auction, where dealers purchase them. When you purchase your vehicle at the end of the lease, you don't have much negotiation room; however, if you purchase someone else's lease turn-in, there is often substantial negotiation space. Moreover, (and I'm not sure why this isn't offered with yours, but presumably because the vehicle doesn't change hands to BMW and to a dealer when you buy out the lease), many BMWs are CPO and have a warranty/maintenance thru 100k miles.

I bought my 2008 CPO back in 2012 with 58k miles, warranty and maintenance covered through 100k or 6 years (Feb 2014). After negotiations and trading in my E46, I paid $12k for the car.
I agree with the financial advice, but there's definitely a non-financial value to buying a vehicle that you have driven and maintained from day 1, even if it costs more.

That being said, don't follow the official BMW maintenance schedule, more frequent maintenance, especially for fluids, is worth it for long life. If you haven't been doing that up until now, start now if you're keeping the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts