BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a used 2004 m3 convertible with just over 13,000 miles on it for around $41k vs buying a new 335i convertible similarily equiped for around $57k. The used m3 is in excellent shape, one owner, silver with grey interior with smg.

What would you do? Spring for the used m3 (my original dream car before the new convertible came out), or spend more on the new 335i?:confused:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,908 Posts
Hard call. You could spring for the used M3 and then come back for the new M3 in a few years. :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
It is blasphemous to even consider an E46 over an E93. The E46 had its day, but it's tired and dated and the E93 is such a quantum leap forward in design and execution that you cannot pass it up.

BJ

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,908 Posts
It is blasphemous to even consider an E46 over an E93. The E46 had its day, but it's tired and dated and the E93 is such a quantum leap forward in design and execution that you cannot pass it up.

BJ
Hurry!!! Move Fast!!! Get your Flame Suit on!!!

Go post that over at E46 Fanatics. They will hunt you down and do you serious bodily harm!!

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Hurry!!! Move Fast!!! Get your Flame Suit on!!!

Go post that over at E46 Fanatics. They will hunt you down and do you serious bodily harm!!
I am passionate only about 2 or 3 things in life, and the E93 is one of them. You don't mess with the E93. Nope.

BJ

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you are looking for the better daily driver, then go for the E93. With a $600 Turbo tuner mod, it will perform better than the E46 M3 . The folding hardtop is really slick. Butthe $16K that you save buying the M3, is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a used 2004 m3 convertible with just over 13,000 miles on it for around $41k vs buying a new 335i convertible similarily equiped for around $57k. The used m3 is in excellent shape, one owner, silver with grey interior with smg.

What would you do? Spring for the used m3 (my original dream car before the new convertible came out), or spend more on the new 335i?:confused:
I had an 2004 325ci (which had the newer headlights than the M3), and frankly, I couldn't have been happier when my lease was coming to an end.

YES, I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE SECOND of owning/ driving that car (even though it was the smallest engine) but with the new redesigns I wanted the "new look". Call me a sucker, but I guess this is why leasing is made. It's for people like me.

You'll absolutely love the M3 but will eventually get tired of the looks when even the 'ol trophy wife up the street drives past your house with her new 335cic. The twin turbo is an amazing engine.

My advice: Spend the money and go for a 335cic and wait for the M3 buzz to die down and then lease one in a few years.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Not an obvious choice...

I'll offer the counter-point to the posts above. I bought my 2006 330Cic (manual, sport pkg, xenons, ipod, PDC) last summer and was thrilled to get the last of the E46 generation convertibles. The new body style doesn't do much for me. It's subjective, I know. The new generation is also bigger, heavier, and doesn't feel as raw or connected to the road as the E46. (Yes, I've driven both. My neighbor has a 335 convertible and we've swapped.)
The only reason I'd take the 335 over the specific M3 you're considering is SMG. If the M3 were a manual it'd be a no brainer, but with SMG I'd think twice. If you want an automatic, get an automatic. If you want a manual, get a manual. The SMG (yes, I've driven a friend's 2004 M3 convertible with SMG as well) is somewhat harsh and really didn't do it for me. Unless you love SMG, get the 335.

Hope that helps!
-James
Seattle, WA

·
Banned
4,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Heya boltjames! Seems fair to assume with your overzealous "support" of the E93 that you're either leading us on and pretending to be this fanatical, or in case you ARE this fanatical, perhaps you should calm down and realize the E93 isn't the "best thing since sliced bread" haha :stupid:

I say this because as much as I love my E93 I can still appreciate the beauty of the E46 design. Your "contempt" for the E46 makes you sound like you're off your rocker! haha :asshole:

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Heya boltjames! Seems fair to assume with your overzealous "support" of the E93 that you're either leading us on and pretending to be this fanatical, or in case you ARE this fanatical, perhaps you should calm down and realize the E93 isn't the "best thing since sliced bread" haha

I say this because as much as I love my E93 I can still appreciate the beauty of the E46 design. Your "contempt" for the E46 makes you sound like you're off your rocker! haha
Respectfully, the E93 is a gift from God to us. It is the singularly most beautiful vehicle ever created. The E46 looks like ancient history by comparison.

We shouldn't be comparing The Beatles "Abbey Road" with The Monkees "Instant Replay". Not only isn't it a fair fight, but it's something beneath we E93 owners. We're above that.

BJ

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Respectfully, the E93 is a gift from God to us. It is the singularly most beautiful vehicle ever created. The E46 looks like ancient history by comparison.

We shouldn't be comparing The Beatles "Abbey Road" with The Monkees "Instant Replay". Not only isn't it a fair fight, but it's something beneath we E93 owners. We're above that.

BJ
:rofl::rofl:

Too bad there isn't a smiley with a straight-jacket on... :loco:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,908 Posts
Respectfully, the E93 is a gift from God to us. It is the singularly most beautiful vehicle ever created.

BJ
I guess the fact that I wish the E93 were available with a rag-top would really send you over the edge. :p

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
I guess the fact that I wish the E93 were available with a rag-top would really send you over the edge. :p
You own an E46, so there is little point in having this conversation. The E93 is a gift from God. You know this to be true.

BJ

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow, never knew I would solicit such passion....goes to show that us bmw owners are fanatical about our cars, no matter which model. I am definitely going to try to test drive the smg this weekend, to really get a feel for what it is like before I decide. Also, I have had no luck trying to test drive a 335i convertible....the dealers cannot keep them in stock long enough for anyone to drive!

I do appreciate everyone's input, and am so glad to be part of bimmerfest to learn from others....thanks everyone! Will come down to passion (heart) vs brains (money equation).
:)

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
wow, never knew I would solicit such passion....goes to show that us bmw owners are fanatical about our cars, no matter which model. I am definitely going to try to test drive the smg this weekend, to really get a feel for what it is like before I decide. Also, I have had no luck trying to test drive a 335i convertible....the dealers cannot keep them in stock long enough for anyone to drive!

I do appreciate everyone's input, and am so glad to be part of bimmerfest to learn from others....thanks everyone! Will come down to passion (heart) vs brains (money equation).
:)
I bought my E93 without having driven a BMW in 15 years. True story.

BJ

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
That explains:tsk:
If you were not so inspired by the photographs to actually have to drive an E93 before purchasing one, then you sir are not a true believer. I will engage in dialog with you, because you own an E93, but the depth of your beliefs pale in comparison to mine and thus you and I shall never be one.

BJ

1 - 20 of 43 Posts