BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - need some help.

I'm really interested in purchasing x5 but the thing that's holding me back is the fact that I keep reading about redesigned scheduled for 2013. Since it's quiet an $ investment for the x5, I don't want to purchase now and then 8 months from now - watch a new release making my new x5 'outdated' :(

Been wavering back and forth for couple weeks so would love to hear your feedbacks. The other option I'm also considered is to lease a temporary car for couple years and then buy the new redesign x5 when it comes out. I do see lease deals for 27 months on 328i at $329 a month that looks pretty good. I know its not same class of cars but it'll be a tactical choice until I can get my hands on a long term x5 that'll provide the versatility that I want.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hey guys - need some help.

I'm really interested in purchasing x5 but the thing that's holding me back is the fact that I keep reading about redesigned scheduled for 2013. Since it's quiet an $ investment for the x5, I don't want to purchase now and then 8 months from now - watch a new release making my new x5 'outdated' :(

Been wavering back and forth for couple weeks so would love to hear your feedbacks. The other option I'm also considered is to lease a temporary car for couple years and then buy the new redesign x5 when it comes out. I do see lease deals for 27 months on 328i at $329 a month that looks pretty good. I know its not same class of cars but it'll be a tactical choice until I can get my hands on a long term x5 that'll provide the versatility that I want.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot.
New X5 will be available mid-2013 as a 2014 model at the earliest. You'll want to wait at least 12 months for them to work out the bugs. Therefore, lease an X5 now for three years, and then you'll be right on time to pick one up in 2014.

·
BigTime Defender
338 Posts
Having traded in for what turned out to be a POS Ford Edge LTD, I'm in the same boat. I'd love to hear the opinions on this subject as I'm

RESISTING

THE URGE

TO TRADE IN/SELL

MY 2011 EDGE NOW

:)

Thanks...

·
Registered
25 Posts
As an owner of 2006 x5 and 2003 540i I always suggest to buy 2 last production years of any bmw model and avoid first year. Very few issues and virtually no visits to service beyond regular maintenance.
My 2000 x5 was one of the best cars I owned, but had way too many problems of all sorts.

Given all that I suggest you to look no earlier than 2015 x5, exactly 3 years from now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
New X5 will be available mid-2013 as a 2014 model at the earliest. You'll want to wait at least 12 months for them to work out the bugs. Therefore, lease an X5 now for three years, and then you'll be right on time to pick one up in 2014.
I was in the same boat and I ended up just ordering the 2012's because there'll be a wait of 3 years to get the F15 X5 (assuming you don't wanna get the first-year model as mentioned by Matt above).

I even thought about getting a loaded F25 X3 35i with M-sport package which even costs less. But if you compare them by both interior and exterior, E70 X5 still wins!

The future F15 might look better based those rendering pictures like the one below, but E70 is such a piece of art creation you don't wanna miss. :D

One thing I'm still debating now is leasing vs. purchasing. But I still have a couple of months before the car arrives to make this decision.

·
Registered
382 Posts
As an owner of 2006 x5 and 2003 540i I always suggest to buy 2 last production years of any bmw model and avoid first year. Very few issues and virtually no visits to service beyond regular maintenance.
My 2000 x5 was one of the best cars I owned, but had way too many problems of all sorts.

Given all that I suggest you to look no earlier than 2015 x5, exactly 3 years from now.
I agree with the above & meanwhile I suggest you to buy a used e70 (2009 - 2010), for the time being ... so you will invest less & you can change to the new design after few years ...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with the above & meanwhile I suggest you to buy a used e70 (2009 - 2010), for the time being ... so you will invest less & you can change to the new design after few years ...
Good point but I have a question:

What price range for a used 2009/2010 model would be reasonable (assuming still under warranty)? Since now you can get a brand new 2012 model with those incentive and credit up to 5k, it might cost only a couple of thousand more if you are getting a base model with few options.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
We seem to get this topic very often.
I think it is a big gamble to wait for the new X5. It may be good, if it is good, don't worry you can still buy one since they will make it for more years.
If it is bad, well you just won because you are riding on last gen "good" X5.
Lease a 2012 for 3 years, and at least if the next gen body sucks, you can still buy yours, if the next gen rules, just upgrade!

I wouldn't consider buying the first year of any redesigned vehicle. It's just me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys. Interesting points, now it got me thinking more.

After all those recent discounts, I can probably get the x5 base with leather, 3rd row, nav and convenience (those are the options i want) for maybe less than $50k after all discounts and $1k finance credit. Fast forward 3+ years, if I can keep it in good condition with low mileage, the x5 might only depreciate by $25k or less.

With insurance being more for lease vehicles (that's what I read), I might get away with purchasing the vehicle now and trading in later if new x5 turns out to be good. This might even be better than leasing x5 no? Or is my estimates completely off? Thanks again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am in Abu Dhabi - UAE.

I bought my X5 - 2010 xDrive4.8, 8000KM, white with factory M sport package but without adaptive drive & third raw seats @ 62500$, 6 months back ...

Rashid
I wish I can sell you all my cars to you. We will both be happy. I sell them at much lower price than that even for a used car. I understand other areas outside of US.. cars costs A LOT more... esp in Australia....

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you know you want out of it in three years, leasing is the only way to go. What if you get in a wreck, flood the car or it gets rear ended? Anything can happen. My old 535i got flooded. Thankfully insurance paid the $28k repair bill and it was a lease, so no big deal.

If you have equity at the end of the lease, you can always trade it in against a new BMW and get sales tax savings.

Good luck.

Sent from my Android device using Bimmer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matt - assuming the same full coverage, insurance will cover the same repairs if you own the vehicle no? I guess what you're trying to say is that even if it's repaired, it might affect trade in value down the line?

Can you elaborate bit more about the tax savings you can gain switching from lease to purchase of new vehicle at end of lease? I never leased a vehicle in the past so I'm not sure of the specifics too much. Thanks.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
As someone already pointed out, we won't see a new X5 until model year 2014. Expect some early spy shots in late 2012 (camouflaged) followed by its introduction in early 2013 (at a major European motor show).

While fuel economy will be better on the new X5 (as will acceleration), they may only offer turbocharged six-cylinders by then... who knows? :dunno:

If you like the E70, get it.

- Mike

(If you always wait for what is around the corner, you'd never buy a new computer.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wish I can sell you all my cars to you. We will both be happy. I sell them at much lower price than that even for a used car. I understand other areas outside of US.. cars costs A LOT more... esp in Australia....
Thanks ... I am actually looking for 330i (2004-2005). What would be the price of it in US? Do you have any option around, for me?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Matt - assuming the same full coverage, insurance will cover the same repairs if you own the vehicle no? I guess what you're trying to say is that even if it's repaired, it might affect trade in value down the line?

Can you elaborate bit more about the tax savings you can gain switching from lease to purchase of new vehicle at end of lease? I never leased a vehicle in the past so I'm not sure of the specifics too much. Thanks.
Yes, insurance will repair the vehicle regardless, they don't care if you lease or own. However, resale can be severely affected on a car that's been wrecked, flooded or otherwise involved in an incident.

Depending on where you live, some states (like TX and WA) charge sales tax on the full sales price of the car, and roll that into the lease. Other states do not do this, but they charge sales tax on each monthly payment. If you live in an area that falls into the former category, and you're going from BMW to BMW at the end of your lease, you can actually "trade" the vehicle allowing to you keep any equity you've earned, plus only pay sales tax on the difference between the value of the old car and the purchase price of the new car. This can be a significant saving. You also don't have to worry about any lease-end inspections or mileage overage this way. The price they offer you is the price you get. Provided it's more than the residual, you're good to go.

Just to give you an idea, I've only ever "turned-in" one lease. All my others were traded at lease end to take advantage of this. Also, with the low residual on the 35d right now, you'd most likely be in a great situation to take advantage of this in three years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, insurance will repair the vehicle regardless, they don't care if you lease or own. However, resale can be severely affected on a car that's been wrecked, flooded or otherwise involved in an incident.

Depending on where you live, some states (like TX and WA) charge sales tax on the full sales price of the car, and roll that into the lease. Other states do not do this, but they charge sales tax on each monthly payment. If you live in an area that falls into the former category, and you're going from BMW to BMW at the end of your lease, you can actually "trade" the vehicle allowing to you keep any equity you've earned, plus only pay sales tax on the difference between the value of the old car and the purchase price of the new car. This can be a significant saving. You also don't have to worry about any lease-end inspections or mileage overage this way. The price they offer you is the price you get. Provided it's more than the residual, you're good to go.

Just to give you an idea, I've only ever "turned-in" one lease. All my others were traded at lease end to take advantage of this. Also, with the low residual on the 35d right now, you'd most likely be in a great situation to take advantage of this in three years.
Hi Matt,

Is the "equity" you're talking about here the difference of car's residual value and market value at lease end?

For example, at lease end if my car has a residual value of $40,000 and the current market value of that car is $42,000, I would have $2,000 "equity"? Therefore, that $2,000 can be used and rolled into my next lease/purchase? However, who would determine the "market value" of your car? I think BMW would do their own appraisal instead of just using KBB's number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi Matt,

Is the "equity" you're talking about here the difference of car's residual value and market value at lease end?

For example, at lease end if my car has a residual value of $40,000 and the current market value of that car is $42,000, I would have $2,000 "equity"? Therefore, that $2,000 can be used and rolled into my next lease/purchase? However, who would determine the "market value" of your car? I think BMW would do their own appraisal instead of just using KBB's number?

Thanks!
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about, plus the sales tax savings I mentioned previously. In terms of who values your car, it's the dealer. What I always do is get my car detailed and ready for turn in, then take it to CarMax to get it appraised. If CarMax will give me more than residual value, then I'm in business, and I can usually get the dealer to match that price (note, I let him appraise the car first and give me his number before saying anything - one time the dealer was higher than CarMax). Much of it depends on the demand for your car and the residual on your lease. The way the X5 35d residuals look right now, I'd say you might well be able to trade out at lease end without an issue. On the 50i it will be harder due to the higher residual.

Bottom line, if I wanted a car for 3 years only, and I knew I could be between 10K and 15K miles a year, it would be a no brainer to lease rather than buy. Worst case, you've locked in your max depreciation, and best case you get to keep any profit if the situation moves in your favor.

PS: Important note - this "trade" situation ONLY applies if you are getting into another BMW. If you switch brands, you have to turn it in.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
My personal take is that the LCI years are generally the best to purchase. That's the lifecycle impulse, which is a mild facelift/upgrade BMW does around the 4th year of a model's lifespan. The first couple years of a new model are really a gamble due to kinks getting worked out. By the time the 3rd year rolls around, if you wait just one more year then you generally get an improved engine, facelift, and additional features for free with the LCI models. Plus the majority of the kinks are worked out by then.

This is predicated on my habit of keeping cars for around 8 years, so a major model change hits me no matter what year I buy. If you trade your cars within a shorter period of time, then it might make financial sense to buy and sell/trade all within a model's lifespan so you don't take the depreciation hit when the next model is released.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.