Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after 15 yrs of owning my 2005 E46, I purchased my first X3! 2017 xdrive35i, silver metallic, CPO, prior lease, one owner, clean Carfax report, did have more miles than I would have liked 51k. When I test drove it, I did find a very small dent in the hood right in the crease and the weather stripping around the front passenger door had come up and the weather stripping around the driver's window was crooked. The sales guy who was pretty new hadn't noticed any of this so he says but I told him those things needed to be fixed. He agreed. Loved the car! Well, I took possession of the car 5 days ago. Saturday was the first sunny day here. As I was getting out of my car I gasped I saw this scratch that I had never seen before on the back passenger side! This made me start looking over the car with a fine-tooth comb even though I thought I did before and I found another but this was a gouge down at the bottom on drivers side right above trimming. I was on my knees to see it. I immediately called the sales guy and sent him pics. He said he didn't notice any scratches. He said they can use touch up paint to make less visible and gave me the number of body shop. I was able to get into body shop yesterday. Service Lady looks over the car and tells me scratches have already been touched up! She told me to wait while she talked to Sales. I knew it was bad when the Service manager returned and said the only way to remove the scratches is to grind it down and repaint the door! He said that would be like $1500! And the deal I got they couldn't take the hit for the fix to my doors! WTH! I mean I get what he was saying I should have noticed it too before I finalized the deal. Just feeling bummed that my new car I know it's used has noticeable cosmetic flaws. Am I being over the top? Has anyone any tips tricks to remedy? Thanks for letting me vent!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did they fix the hood and weather stripping that they agreed to fix? Other than that, a 3 year old car with 51k miles has cosmetic blemishes that were too minor for you to notice when you looked over the car before you bought it - I say you just bought yourself some touched up scratches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they did fix everything I asked....I know but I'm still bummed about it. I'll be ok eventually :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
I can understand being bummed about scratches on your used car. Just take it as a lesson learned and for futures purchases, go over the car with a fine tooth comb whether used or new. Take you time, use some 2x-3x reading glasses so you can zoom in on every inch so you know all the flaws before taking possession.

I use blob eliminator and touch up paint with good results, though metallics are harder to hid then solid colors.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I know it’s a new to you used car. But as long as it drives fine and you enjoy the drive. Then the smaller things like this shouldn’t be too big of a concern. Some touch up paint and you shouldn’t dwell on it much after that. Won’t be 100% good as new but that’s why you paid for used car pricing. If you wanted perfect. You have to pay for new. And even then sometimes there’s imperfections. I bought my car new and after 7 years I still obsess over the little scratches that I can try to avoid on my car but i can’t prevent everything. And if my bumper gets a new scratch tomorrow I’ll be angry but the anger will go away after a day or two.
In short just enjoy the car and don’t sweat the minor details.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much! Yes, despite the scratches I LOVE it! I feel like a kid on Christmas!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purposely seek out cosmetic flaws. It gives me a slight edge when it comes to bargaining on the price

as guyver said .... enjoy the car! sooner or later someones shopping cart in a parking lot or a rock on the highway, will do some stuff you may not like in the near future anyways.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Frankly, I worry a lot more about functional/physical components that cause more serious issues if they break or do not perform as they should. I knew someone who upon purchasing a new car, would go ahead and scratch the paint with a key right away just to "get it over with" as some forms of damage was inevitable. Scratches do not bother much much, as long as they do not eventually lead to issues with rust or other deterioration.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I knew someone who upon purchasing a new car, would go ahead and scratch the paint with a key right away just to "get it over with" as some forms of damage was inevitable.
To each their own, but this just seems really stupid to me, but if that makes them feel better, let them at it, just keep them away from my vehicles :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a 2017 X3 in October 2016 at 2016 pricing. First BMW for me. I obsessed over rock chips to the front but finally came to the conclusion that stuff happens. Also had to replace windshield from rock chips.

Bottom line is this vehicle still drives as new after 92k miles. No regrets so far and cosmetic issues are now not of any importance. Enjoy your new ride. It's not a show car and it's meant to be driven and enjoyed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts