BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a lease buyout on my 2013 335 convertible. I have an acceptable number. The dealer is offering to add CPO for roughly $2000. That gains me warranty for year 5-6 Plus the October special of free maintenance for year 5. I appreciate any thoughts on this. Given the complexity of the folding roof, it may be worth the investment. The car only has 21,000 miles on it, so I'm not sure it wlll need brakes in year 5. Comments/ suggestions appreciated. Also does anyone know the November promotion on CPO purchases? Thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
What's the probability you would have $2K in repairs during that time, especially given the low miles? If it was me I would keep the $2K. Just my thought. I see these warranties as pre paying for maintenance / issues. E9x is a solid platform. Its no Honda and I am sure you will have some issues, but pay them as they come and get a good indy.

Just my perspective.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's a bargain. Problems will come. Gaskets, water pumps, carbon build up, alternators, fuel pumps, sensors, to name a few.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I agree with 07335. When you buy an extended warranty it is often because you are uncertain of the treatment of the car and maintenance by the previous owner. Since you ARE the previous owner you don't have those concerns, and your car has very low miles.

Also, although I don't own an E93 I have been around this forum long enough to know that the hard top mechanism is pretty reliable and does not commonly experience expensive repairs.

I'd keep the two grand and take my chances.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I average 7500/ yr on this car. Has m sport - 6 MT with summer rubber so avoid using Dec-Feb. Through 10/31 BMW giving year 5 maintenance as bonus promo on this car if CPO, but prob won't even need brakes by then ( 38K miles). So likely take my chances as that bonus will likely give only oil change a brake fluid. Do you think year 5 included maintenance tips the scale to go for it?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I average 7500/ yr on this car. Has m sport - 6 MT with summer rubber so avoid using Dec-Feb. Through 10/31 BMW giving year 5 maintenance as bonus promo on this car if CPO, but prob won't even need brakes by then ( 38K miles). So likely take my chances as that bonus will likely give only oil change a brake fluid. Do you think year 5 included maintenance tips the scale to go for it?
Find out whats covered. Brakes are an easy DIY if you are so inclined. My Indy quoted $800 for a walnut blast, valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket when my 2007 335i hit 85k miles. I installed a thermostat for $500 I think at 80K and was planning on a water pump right before I sold it at ~92K for my 2011 335 is.

So I don't think the 5 year maintenance would be a big savings. Bu some people like the feeling that they are covered for all of this ....

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's a bargain. Problems will come. Gaskets, water pumps, carbon build up, alternators, fuel pumps, sensors, to name a few.
I am unclear on exactly how much time from now is the extension? "Year 5-6" would be which years?

And which anticipated items would be included in warranty, in contrast to those considered "maintenance" and not covered?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me clarify. 2013 335 convertible M sport 6 MT. Lease ends 11/16/16. Normally would lease similar car, but no manual in 440 convertible and that's a deal breaker.. So will purchase at end of lease. Residual $40,241. Way over market value. Got offer from 2 dealers to purchase at about $30,750. I asked about adding CPO. Both dealers discouraged but one told me he can do ext warranty ( to cover years five and six) for $1650, or if I wanted the full CPO that will be another $350 assuming the inspection did not find anything that wasn't already covered by the existing original warranty. Looking online, I see the October promotion for CPO on this vehicle, BMW will provide one extra year of scheduled maintenance, and for this vehicle adds the fifth year of ownership as it currently has four years scheduled maintenance, brakes, clutch included. The car currently has 21,000 miles after 3 years and I anticipate about 8000 miles per year usage onward. There has been no problems thus far, except replacing RFT due to flats, bubbles etc. so the question posed: is it worth $1650 to take the warranty from the basic 4 years up to 6 years, and subsequently another $350 to add the fifth year of ownership scheduled maintenance BMW is throwing in if I do deal by 10/31. Probably will be at 38K miles when scheduled maintenance expires, and at 46K at end of 6 year warranty. Should I buy just the extra 2 years, or add the year of maintenance ( 30K-38K) or neither. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
What would you get in Year 5 for maintenance...
  1. oil and filter (which you can get for $100 thru dealer)
  2. engine air filter
  3. cabin microfilter
  4. brake fluid change
  5. wiper blade replacement
...so really the biggest cost item is possibility of brake pads and rotors and sensors, which is about $750 per axle thru the dealer

I bought a 3yo 328i with 31k miles as CPO, and I am approaching the end of its year 6 with 58k total.
The only warranty work on it has been a passenger seat sensor replacement (about $500-600 if not warranty) and an eccentric shaft sensor replacement (if not for SULEV warranty the job would be about $1700) and OFHG at 55k.
I'm bringing my car in in two weeks, for routine service (my service policy ends), but the engine has recent come up with a Cyl4 miss with WOT...I hope a spark plug/coil replacement (which is due in the 2011 328i at 60k) fixes that.

Based on my own experience, getting 2 more years of warranty and one year of maintenance out of $2k spent is a wise choice, but a bit more questionable choice to make with a very low mileage car.

·
Registered
451 Posts
So that's two more years of scheduled maintenance and warranty for $2K?
Considering your low annual mileage (like mine), warranty repairs seem unlikely over that period.
What would you expect to spend on scheduled maintenance over that time?

Of course, if you are financing $30,750 anyway, another $2K will not increase the payment significantly.
I think I'd get the warranty/scheduled maintenance extension.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's 2 more years of warranty and one more year of scheduled maintenance. The wild card is the Takata airbag that must be done for sale. They are awaiting it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if airbag doesn't make it in by 10/31, then I don't get the extra year of scheduled maintenance. I assume there will be another promotion of some sort for November.

·
Registered
451 Posts
So if airbag doesn't make it in by 10/31, then I don't get the extra year of scheduled maintenance. I assume there will be another promotion of some sort for November.
So I guess the two questions would be:
What scheduled maintenance do you expect (based on mileage) within the next year, and
What warranty repairs over $2K might be likely over the next 2 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking of just passing on warranty and taking my chances. Now if CPO has a great November promotion like 2 free payments, then that's another story. I'll just wait till 11/1 and see.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm thinking of just passing on warranty and taking my chances. Now if CPO has a great November promotion like 2 free payments, then that's another story. I'll just wait till 11/1 and see.
Considering your low mileage, makes sense. :thumbup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I bought my E93 lease out for the exact reason that a M/T was not available in the US anymore. I discovered that the BMW extended warranty for years 5 and 6 did not cover scheduled maintenance nor did it cover the convertible top mechanism. I saw no reason to purchase it and saved the $2000. My water pump did fail last year with only 48k miles on the car (I suspect its failure had more to do with age rather than mileage). The extended warranty would not have covered it anyway as it was year 7. Don't purchase it.

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
One of the things that no one has mentioned is the BMW assist ending at the end of this year. You either have to upgrade and start paying $199 annual fee or not and get some goodies in place of it. If they are not going to upgrade the equipment, paying for the CPO status might not be a worth while cost.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have one more year left on my BMW assist original four year plan that came with the car. I've already made arrangements to have the hardware upgrade it free of charge. I basically only use the Google Maps that goes directly into the nav system. Occasionally I use the lock car feature if I'm not sure if I locked it. I figured it doesn't cost me anything so go ahead and get the hardware upgraded. CPO does not include any type of BMW assist apparently it's a separate contract

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless there is some type of phenomenal incentive on CPO vehicles such as the first two payments free, I don't think I'm going to spend the $2000. I've driven this car carefully and I've kept it garages. Apparently the convertible roof is not covered anyway, and the CPO warranty is not as inclusive as I originally thought. If I was gonna walk away from the lease, I would not have them upgrade the hardware for the connection and take the $200 visa card.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts