BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase the 535i in manual and was wondering how the 6 spd manual was...I have read conflicting things about the 8 speed automatic. I miss havign a 6 spd tranny and I heard the 6 spd in the 535i was nice.

·
Happily Driving
7,371 Posts
I don't have the 6 speed in my 5er. The manual in my 335 is pretty good. It was hard to shift smoothly into 1st and 2nd...but that vastly improved once I removed the clutch neutral valve.

I think the 8 speed sport transmission is fantastic.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The 6 speed manual in my 550i is really, really nice. Precise, short throws, smooth clutch engagement and super easy to drive smoothly. I highly recommend it :thumbup:

Having said that, you MUST drive the car and like the tranny before you order the car. Don't base your purchase on anyone's opinion on this board, including mine.

·
dB
21 Posts
I drive a 2011 BMW 535i w/ manual and I absolutely love it, quick response but I agree with what 1HOT BMR said.. The BMW dealer over here tried to sell me one that had a really crappy 1st gear.

Died several times during our test drive, I ended up buying it from Phoenix and it feels much better. Must've been a lemon.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The ZF 8-speed is more economical and efficient and better matched to the turbocharged engine. The only remaining reason to choose the MT is because of personal preference. So, as others have suggested, trying it out for personal appeal is really important.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drive a 2011 BMW 535i w/ manual and I absolutely love it, quick response but I agree with what 1HOT BMR said.. The BMW dealer over here tried to sell me one that had a really crappy 1st gear.

Died several times during our test drive, I ended up buying it from Phoenix and it feels much better. Must've been a lemon.
First off your car looks absolutely amazing with those rims...also what package is it that includes those cameras but the front wheel wells?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Try it out first.

I ordered a manual in my E60 535xi, and while the transmission was decent (not as good as the 335i IMO, though), the 5 is just a lot of car to have great fun with a manual.

I feel like I'm driving more of a school bus than a go-kart.

As such, my F10 has a SAT, and I'm quite happy with my decision. If I ever get a smaller car again (335 or another S4), I'd get a manual in a heartbeat.

·
dB
21 Posts
First off your car looks absolutely amazing with those rims...also what package is it that includes those cameras but the front wheel wells?
Thanks! :bigpimp: I'm not really sure, but this is what BMW says..

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.