BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here, but really like it here, and I think I've found my next car - well, at least the make and model.

I really like the 540, but I don't know enough (yet) to know exactly what to buy. That’s where you fine folks come in.

I am looking a 2000 or 2001 probably - due to price.

First off, will a baby seat fit in the back of one of these??

I believe I want the sport package. So I guess that means the 3-post steering wheel and shadowline trim, correct ?

Do the sports come standard with the sport seats, or is that optional.

Is the manual a lot more performance oriented, or is the auto sufficient?

Does this car require high octane fuel?

Is the maintenance REALLY THAT MUCH on BMW's ???(My Volvo has been relatively dirt cheap in 83K)

What does the 2001 have that the 2000 doesn't ?

What should I avoid? (i.e...staggered wheels, tiptronic, suspension, unreplaced cooling systems)

Is the M package different than just the sport package? (I don't mean the M5 - I realize the differences there)

I’m sorry for all the answers, but I literally have spent the last 12 hours reading up on these awesome cars, and can't wait to find the perfect one for me.

Thanks in advance for all your help - I hope to help out others in the future.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Welcome ...

Baby seat: no problem.

Sports package means lots of things, including suspension, shadowline, sport seats, staggered wheels/tires, steptronic (on the auto), ...

High octane: yes.

The 6-speed is the way to go if you drive a stick. I have steptronic and this is one of two regrets I had (the other being not getting the parking distance sensors).

Maintenance: depends on what has already failed. This car could easily cost $1000/year in fixes.

2001 has different (and better) front/rear lights, different (and better) front bumper, and some other things I can't remember right now.

Bill

·
Mmmmm...invisible cola.
26 Posts
ysgi said:
First off, will a baby seat fit in the back of one of these??
Absolutely - I have two carseats in the back. Obviously a 740 will give more rear legroom, but I like my seat pretty far back and it is not a problem for the kids.

ysgi said:
I believe I want the sport package. So I guess that means the 3-post steering wheel and shadowline trim, correct ?

Do the sports come standard with the sport seats, or is that optional.
Mine is a '99 and the sport seats were an option back then. I don't know if newer ones had the sport seats standard or not.

ysgi said:
Is the manual a lot more performance oriented, or is the auto sufficient?
I find the auto to be plenty fast and fun - plus with kids in the back, I didn't want to have to worry about shifting while dealing with dropped toys etc. :)

ysgi said:
Does this car require high octane fuel?
My gas lid also says minimum 89, but I still go with 91 or 93 all the time. Once you get one, you'll want to treat her at the pump! :)

ysgi said:
Is the maintenance REALLY THAT MUCH on BMW's ???(My Volvo has been relatively dirt cheap in 83K)
I used to drive a Volvo as well, and I guess it all depends on if you are going to a dealership or not. Volvo dealers aren't cheap either, from my experience. I stopped using the dealer entirely with my Volvo after some bad/expensive experiences. I have a local mechanic that I go to for basic tuneups, oilchanges, and the like, and I have been taking the BMW to him as well. I have used BMW dealers for a few things, and they are a lot more friendly and pleasant to deal with. I had to get my instrument cluster replaced due to bad pixels (that's something to look out for) and they split the cost with me and charged no labor, even though my car is out of warranty.

Good luck with your research and purchase. The E39 is a great car and you are sure to have a lot of fun with it.
Cheers,
KRS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the input without the "use the search button" answer.

I have read sooo much on this and other forums that its pissing off my wife...oh well.

-Eric
:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.