BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably get a car cover in germany. The question is: can i leave it in the car? Or do i have to bring it back to US on my own? (i will probably just ship it).

i also already have a car cover for my 745Li so maybe i should just take it with me to save money.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
yan_745Li said:
I will probably get a car cover in germany. The question is: can i leave it in the car? Or do i have to bring it back to US on my own? (i will probably just ship it).

i also already have a car cover for my 745Li so maybe i should just take it with me to save money.
In theory, VPC will clear out anything that's not part of the car or its standard equipment. Of course, that's only in theory. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, unless you don't care about having to replace it.

Next question is why bother for only two weeks (or so), when you'll probably be parking in garages and having a tough time finding a place to wash the car?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
yan_745Li said:

You should bring a saran wrap to protect your car. You're getting pretty anal about protecting your car from wear and tear. Wait till you get a rock chip at 150 mph. :rofl: :p :tsk:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tanning machine said:
In theory, VPC will clear out anything that's not part of the car or its standard equipment. Of course, that's only in theory. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, unless you don't care about having to replace it.

Next question is why bother for only two weeks (or so), when you'll probably be parking in garages and having a tough time finding a place to wash the car?
i am sure not every night will be spent in a secured garage. and sometime even parking on the street during the day i'd want to cover it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
arnolds said:
You should bring a saran wrap to protect your car. You're getting pretty anal about protecting your car from wear and tear. Wait till you get a rock chip at 150 mph. :rofl: :p :tsk:
hmm... i wonder if i can get clear bra installed at a BMW dealer in munich same day i take delivery.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,139 Posts
yan_745Li said:
hmm... i wonder if i can get clear bra installed at a BMW dealer in munich same day i take delivery.
You may want to give the paint a month or two to "cure" before you have one of those installed.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Me530 said:
You may want to give the paint a month or two to "cure" before you have one of those installed.
Well my car was produced about 6 weeks before delivery date. Is that sufficient time?

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0 ED in 2 weeks

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,139 Posts
adc said:
Well my car was produced about 6 weeks before delivery date. Is that sufficient time?

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0 ED in 2 weeks
Well, there are a couple schools of thought on this topic. I'm not sure what BMW officially recommends, but Xpel says:

You will need to talk to your body shop and see what they recommend. The time will vary depending on the type of paint the body shop used, and whether or not the paint was baked. In any case, the time that they say you should wait to wax the paint, is the same time you will need to wait to install our product.

From the above statement, if you are at the point where applying a wax is safe, applying the clear bra should be safe. Some people say a factory paint job can be waxed immediately. Others say to wait. Does anybody know BMW's official stance on this?

BTW My car was produced only 2 1/2 weeks before my upcoming ED pickup, but that was due to some problems with my original order.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yan_745Li said:
:rofl:
It's a car, albiet a really beautiful terrific car. It's a machine meant to be driven (real hard during these best two weeks), and it's going to wear a few battle scars afterwards. If they're real bad just have insurance fix it on the way back or just pay for it if you can't bear the look of the dings. In other words, enjoy the car, drive the crap out of it, and don't worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts