Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello BMW fam,
New to forum, sorry if I double post. But cant seem to find my previous post.
Was wondering if buying a used trade in on a 2009 335I Xdrive with 38k miles for $12,900.00 , 1 owner,clean title,carfax shows car been maintained with both recalls on HPFP and blower wiring been done is a good idea.
I did some research and found so many costly repairs on the 335i. Should I buy this car for my wife to drive 55 each way to work?
This Car is at Indy Dealer (not BMW dealer) wants to charge $2700.00 extended 3 yr 36k miles bumper to bumper warranty. calculation is about $75.00 for each 1000 miles for the additional warranty. OUCH!
They are putting all new brakes,rotors,tune up and oil change.
I cant seem to find any 335i anywhere under $13k with low miles.
Should I just find her a used Camry or Accord for 13k or pull the trigger and get the 335i with or without warranty?
Thanks,
DM

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,938 Posts
You don't say WHY you are only considering the 335i/xi. Generally ANY turbo will require more maintenance than a similar normally-aspirated engine. So unless YOU are looking for the additional 65 HP the turbo provides, and are willing to pay a premium for everything from initial price, fuel, repairs, insurance, PP Tax, etc., I would suggest driving a few 328i/xi models to see if they aren't a better fit for what you want/need.

You don't say where you are located, and BMW E9x models may be scarce in your area. Here is an example of what is available (JUST 328xi or X-Drive) for $13,000 or less (many a LOT less) in Northern Virginia:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

Don't be scared by mileage on these cars, at least on the NA 328 N52KP engine models. They are just getting broken in properly at 100,000 miles. My 2007 328xi E91 with 134,000 miles performs and handles as new, and has had NO issues in the two years I have owned it. I do all my own maintenance, and have changed all fluids, simply because I did NOT have reliable prior maintenance records. Other than that and change of plugs, NOTHING else required. There have been NO SES or other warning lights, other than several occasions of misfire in the first weeks after I bought it (corrected by plug change), and I regularly check for any fault codes which do NOT light a warning lamp, using INPA.

George

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Is she going to be driving in conditions where AWD will be an asset? ie, snow? A turbo car needs a whole additional level of care compared to a regular normal aspirated engine, so that's going to cost. As well, if you can't DIY, the TCO will bite hard because the warranty isn't going to cover everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, that price seems high. I'm looking at a 2nd owner, all records with 98k for 6500? Do prices fluctuate wildly by region?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are here in SoCal..so Xdrive just happened to be available. We just returned 2016 Bmw 428i lease. She loved the car but lease was limited to 36k miles. So we are in need to get her a car.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
218 Posts
You***8217;re probably better off getting a 328i RWD. Turbo cars require more maintenance and AWD cars need more maintenance. Or better yet a Camry or Accord is a better choice. Mind you BMWs are not cheap to run. Reliability is ok on these cars assuming the previous owner took care of it. A three digit repair bill is rare if something does go wrong. But if you have deep pockets then knock yourself out and buy one.
I***8217;m a mechanic myself so people often ask me ***8220;should I buy a BMW, should I buy a Mercedes, should I buy an Audi, yadda yadda yadda***8221;. I always say ***8220;only if you can afford to run it***8221;.
if you***8217;re in the market for a Camry or Accord, consider a late 2010+ Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata. They don***8217;t hold their value as good as a Japanese car so you***8217;re more likely to score a low mileage one in good shape, their quality has gone up during those years so it***8217;s an ok buy.

And XDrive in SoCal? That***8217;s a unicorn car there . I once drove my xDrive 335i from Canada all the way down to Arizona and the service rep was shocked it was xDrive as he hasn***8217;t seen one in ages. It***8217;s available as an option but no one ever buys it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does she specifically want a turbo car ? A normally aspirated engine tends to be cheaper to maintain. See if you can get them to do a walnut blast also.
Just my personal experience ; i purchased a below 80k car in December and knew going in I’d have to walnut blast however i also cracked the valve cover 2 weeks into ownership and also did the LPfP as a precaution. I was into the car for 1200 in 2 weeks after paying 8k for it. Now I’m not upset because i anticipates that and i specifically wanted a N54 sedan. I didn’t get x drive they seem to be $$$ to maintain at least in the N54 . You may consider a 328 msport for the wife .. less maintenance $$ and somewhat easier power delivery for a less ‘hectic’ driving dynamics .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you want extra HP and you can set aside $ for maintenance or good at DIY, 335. If not, get a 328i. They're dirt cheap after 10 years on the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank You everyone for some wise words and comments. I think we will look at other options this weekend. She loves her 428i lease..looks sporty and it gets up and go. She had a 2005 745li for 10 yrs and drives great and maintenance was low until 120k miles. Thats when oil leaks and engine issues. We end up selling it. She likes the Audi Q5. We might take a look at 2015 for around 25k with low miles. Will post what she will get this weekend.
Thanks again everyone.
DM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You’re probably better off getting a 328i RWD. Turbo cars require more maintenance and AWD cars need more maintenance. Or better yet a Camry or Accord is a better choice. Mind you BMWs are not cheap to run. Reliability is ok on these cars assuming the previous owner took care of it. A three digit repair bill is rare if something does go wrong. But if you have deep pockets then knock yourself out and buy one.
I’m a mechanic myself so people often ask me “should I buy a BMW, should I buy a Mercedes, should I buy an Audi, yadda yadda yadda”. I always say “only if you can afford to run it”.
if you’re in the market for a Camry or Accord, consider a late 2010+ Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata. They don’t hold their value as good as a Jap car so you’re more likely to score a low mileage one in good shape, their quality has gone up during those years so it’s an ok buy.

And XDrive in SoCal? That’s a unicorn car there . I once drove my xDrive 335i from Canada all the way down to Arizona and the service rep was shocked it was xDrive as he hasn’t seen one in ages. It’s available as an option but no one ever buys it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Yes, this 335i xdrive carfax shows that it was originally purchased in Virginia and person moved to California in 2011 and had here since. So I guess, it would be good if I take it to the mountains ( Big Bear )1 hour away. =)

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Sounds like the OP is familiar with the possible/likely pit falls of BMW ownership. Someone else mentioned it, but to me the real issue is, does his wife need or really want the extra HP? If not go NA, it will be cheaper in the long run. N4S

·
Registered
12 Posts
6500 is cheap for 2009 335i. Here in So Cal its around 8500 with clean title.

I was off slightly.. it's an '07.

I was shopping mostly for a 328/528 mainly due to the fact that they can be had relatively cheap. I came across this one and drove it yesterday, and it's in good shape. Cosmetically, there's a small (could be covered completely by a dime) ding on the LR quarter panel. The paint (blue) has some swirling and some small nicks here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 10 year old car with 100k. Other than needing a good detailing, the interior is perfect. No stains, tears, all buttons worked, cupholders intact, etc.

I've been frantically reading stickies, etc. So far I see the following as concern areas:

H20 pump (done)
Serp belt (done)
Trans fluid (done)
Oil filter housing gasket (done)
Coils (done)
Oil pan gasket (not done)

Additionally, the fluids in both the diff and xfer case were changed and the brake fluid was flushed. Aside from that, the usual oil changes, brake jobs, tires, etc.

Am I missing anything? I was going to book it for a professional inspection but they are 1+ week out. Am I crazy trying to inspect this myself?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was off slightly.. it's an '07.

I was shopping mostly for a 328/528 mainly due to the fact that they can be had relatively cheap. I came across this one and drove it yesterday, and it's in good shape. Cosmetically, there's a small (could be covered completely by a dime) ding on the LR quarter panel. The paint (blue) has some swirling and some small nicks here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 10 year old car with 100k. Other than needing a good detailing, the interior is perfect. No stains, tears, all buttons worked, cupholders intact, etc.

I've been frantically reading stickies, etc. So far I see the following as concern areas:

H20 pump (done)
Serp belt (done)
Trans fluid (done)
Oil filter housing gasket (done)
Coils (done)
Oil pan gasket (not done)

Additionally, the fluids in both the diff and xfer case were changed and the brake fluid was flushed. Aside from that, the usual oil changes, brake jobs, tires, etc.

Am I missing anything? I was going to book it for a professional inspection but they are 1+ week out. Am I crazy trying to inspect this myself?
Seems like you did your homework on this car. PPI would be good just incase you might be missing some things. Maybe get the Vin # and call any BMW dealer and see repairs done on it. My local BMW dealer was very helpful when I asked repairs done on it that Carfax didnt show. Good luck on your search sir.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts