BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever buy a Used BMW on a CPO program online? Site unseen?

F

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Get a car inspection service to inspect it for you.

·
Registered
791 Posts

F
No, CPO just means it has a warranty. I brought CPO back to the dealer for repairs multiple times after delivery. The last time, I took a 335i loaner and said don't call me until everything is fixed. Scratched up trim pierces, faulty window motors, fried emergency brake... AND no A/C, compressor was gone...

·
L5 Commander
147 Posts
No, CPO just means it has a warranty. I brought CPO back to the dealer for repairs multiple times after delivery. The last time, I took a 335i loaner and said don't call me until everything is fixed. Scratched up trim pierces, faulty window motors, fried emergency brake... AND no A/C, compressor was gone...
No, it means it was INSPECTED. You must have had a bad dealer.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Default.aspx

Says right there on the front page:

The Certified Pre-Owned title is awarded only to those BMWs that meet our demanding standards and pass a meticulous certification process.
I bought mine site unseen from the BMW website. Just ask for lots of high res, detailed photos from every angle. These guys served me very well:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...=OtrcqTx7zoYI8t+khG1n0nJp8Nx0ooH0YJA3H6M8e6U=

Ask for Steve Harvey. These guys are good. They mistakenly thought the model they sold me had the iPod aux input. When the car arrived and it didn't, I asked that they pay for half of the iPod integration kit since it was their mistake in mis-informing me. They said they'd call me back. They did and said they couldn't pay for half of it because they wanted to give it to me for FREE. They sent me a check to pay for the ENTIRE cost of the part. I waited for the check. When it came, I noticed that it was written for the wrong amount! It was written for about $100 MORE than the cost of the part. When I called them back about this, they said, "Oh, well, we wanted to take care of the cost of having your local dealer install it as well. We don't know how much they charge to install the part, but we charge about $100, so we added that amount to the total."

That is what's known as "going above and beyond."

Not all dealerships are stealersh!ts. Try to find a good one and stick with them. Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
No, it means it was INSPECTED. You must have had a bad dealer.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Default.aspx

Says right there on the front page:

I bought mine site unseen from the BMW website. Just ask for lots of high res, detailed photos from every angle. These guys served me very well:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...=OtrcqTx7zoYI8t+khG1n0nJp8Nx0ooH0YJA3H6M8e6U=

Ask for Steve Harvey. These guys are good. They mistakenly thought the model they sold me had the iPod aux input. When the car arrived and it didn't, I asked that they pay for half of the iPod integration kit since it was their mistake in mis-informing me. They said they'd call me back. They did and said they couldn't pay for half of it because they wanted to give it to me for FREE. They sent me a check to pay for the ENTIRE cost of the part. I waited for the check. When it came, I noticed that it was written for the wrong amount! It was written for about $100 MORE than the cost of the part. When I called them back about this, they said, "Oh, well, we to take care of the cost of having your local dealer install it as well. We don't know how much they charge to install the part, but we charge about $100, so we added that amount to the total."

Not all dealerships are stealersh!ts. Try to find a good one and stick with them. Good luck! :thumbup:
My dealer thought they had gone through the whole car. They had replaced a lot of items and they have been great before ans since. Maybe service was very busy that weekend. I'm just saying don't count on what the advertising says. I'm glad you had such a good experience.

CPO doesn't mean perfect and maybe I am very picky but the TV ads claiming you can't tell a CPO car from new are a stretch to me. I can always tell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's supposed to have gone through the attached inspection. I recently purchased a CPO and based on the issues I had with my car there was no way that they could have diligently performed the inspection and made the necessary repairs. My solution was to mark-up the appropriate non-compliant sections of the inspection report and send it to the dealership GM - bingo they got right on it! But it shouldn't be necessary. Hence my jaundice view of the CPO inspection process.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well if your going to buy a car sight unseen at least going CPO it should've been gone through. Either way in the end your covered.

This car is at a dealership right????

I'd call the dealership and start working with a sales agent and have him/her look over the car for you. Obivious they aren't going to know a whole lot but at least you'll know someone looked at it. Just ask them to check to see if everything is working and nothing seems odd when driving. Also depending on the state there is an inspection sheet that has to be filled out before they sell the car. This a great tool you can use if any of those items aren't functioning when you get the car yet there sheet says it does. Also a sales agent that gives a hoot can also get you a copy of the service history of the car.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
CPO does not cover light scratches in the paint. That is something you need to discuss with the dealer.

I would never buy sight unseen. I want to personally make sure all is right with the car and any issues are immediately addressed.

·
Registered
65 Posts

F
I did...

well, depends on what you mean by sight unseen?

I bought my used CPO on eBay and saw pictures of it of course but never actually saw or touched it in person until I was driving it home.

·
Banned
314 Posts
+1

What could really be wrong with it? The only things not covered by the warranty are the battery (if the car hasn't been driven 300 mile/month), tires and clutch. So absolute worst case senario you are out $2k. But you are getting the car $17-20k under MSRP I would say you are still way ahead of the game and you have a better warranty in most cases than the people who buy them knew. I would never own one of these cars out of warranty and I would never BUY one new. I would lease a new one if I could write it off for my job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just did it. About a month ago, I bought a CPO 2006 530i from a dealer near Dallas. I'm in Phoenix. It was all around a great experience. I paid an inspection company about $130 to take a look at it, and send me photos. They caught a couple minor body things that the dealer promptly fixed. I paid considerably less then I would have locally here (not enough dealer choices) and got almost exactly what I wanted from a feature set perspective. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Part of this may be that I worked with a very good dealership. Only one snafu, getting my plates for Arizona got messed up a little bit (dealer uses a service and the service screwed up), but its really not a big deal.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all

I still welcome comments. And yes it is from a dealership.

Lastly, Can I ask what I should expect to pay in these times?

2006, Black & Gray
30k miles, 530xi
All options except DVD and fold down seats
Manual Transmission

Thanks Again
F

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts

2006, Black & Gray
30k miles, 530xi
Manual Transmission

Thanks Again
F
In my area, they go for around $30 - 32k

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had good and bad dealer experiences buying CPO. The worst (see my post Bad Dealer Experience) was finding an out-of-state CPO that was not even close to being as advertised. All I can say is be very, very careful.

·
Registered
756 Posts
+1

What could really be wrong with it? The only things not covered by the warranty are the battery (if the car hasn't been driven 300 mile/month), tires and clutch. So absolute worst case senario you are out $2k. But you are getting the car $17-20k under MSRP I would say you are still way ahead of the game and you have a better warranty in most cases than the people who buy them knew. I would never own one of these cars out of warranty and I would never BUY one new. I would lease a new one if I could write it off for my job.
You are a very trusting person, as many of us are. Problem is, we can be suckers for people who have no conscience.

Mrs. Cunningham says hi. (Fonze was busy.)

·
Work Smarter - NOT Harder
559 Posts
cpo means nothing. have the car inspected (personally or by a professional if you are not sure what to look for). there are tons of cpo cars out there that have been in accidents (minor ones) with repainted panels and quick fix jobs. yes its a bmw but there are many dealers that figure if you dont know it wont hurt you.

trust them not :thumbup:

·
L5 Commander
147 Posts
I just did it. About a month ago, I bought a CPO 2006 530i from a dealer near Dallas. I'm in Phoenix. It was all around a great experience. I paid an inspection company about $130 to take a look at it, and send me photos. They caught a couple minor body things that the dealer promptly fixed. I paid considerably less then I would have locally here (not enough dealer choices) and got almost exactly what I wanted from a feature set perspective. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Part of this may be that I worked with a very good dealership. Only one snafu, getting my plates for Arizona got messed up a little bit (dealer uses a service and the service screwed up), but its really not a big deal.
Ditto, I was in the same boat. Only 2 dealers here and both owned by the same guy. :rolleyes:

I saved about 6-7k by going out of state. For some reason OH seems to have some great deals. My little brother bought a car from there shortly after I bought mine...and he lives in LA! That was the first place I looked online since I've visited LA numerous times and BMW's are like Honda Accords/Toyota Camrys over there, very common. But prices weren't that cheap. :dunno:

·
L5 Commander
147 Posts

2006, Black & Gray
30k miles, 530xi
Manual Transmission

Thanks Again
F
What do you mean by "all options" can you be more specific?

·
L5 Commander
147 Posts
It's supposed to have gone through the attached inspection. I recently purchased a CPO and based on the issues I had with my car there was no way that they could have diligently performed the inspection and made the necessary repairs. My solution was to mark-up the appropriate non-compliant sections of the inspection report and send it to the dealership GM - bingo they got right on it! But it shouldn't be necessary. Hence my jaundice view of the CPO inspection process.
Thanks for posting the pdf for ppl! +1 Where did you find that?

With the rate that BMW and other lux car dealers are going thru CPO vehicles, I doubt they're going to spend the time to be diligent with this checklist, I'm going double check the checklist myself as well.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351224

Dealers are flying thru CPO like hotcakes, I'd recommend others do the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts