BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*BMW noob alert*

For kicks I did an "all miles" search on cars.com and found some great looking deals on 2016 328ixdrive loaners w 10K miles on them, but 1000+ miles away. Took a flyer and inquired. Roughly 13K off 46K down to 33K and 0% financing.

Lease terms they offered looked pretty close to standard advertised deal (369/mo for 10K miles/y). So bah humbug, I should do better than that locally on a non-loaner.

The purchase is intriguing though.

Thoughts on buying and shipping a loaner sight unseen? What can go wrong?

Feel to break out the stupid stick

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,904 Posts
Buying long distance can work out well, but I would never do it if I couldn't travel to pick up the car in person. In fact, I have done just that. I traveled 1,000 miles and drove home.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,080 Posts
Buying long distance can work out well, but I would never do it if I couldn't travel to pick up the car in person. In fact, I have done just that. I traveled 1,000 miles and drove home.
I agree with this. I'd want to see it in person at the dealer before taking possession. If something's not right with the car, what's the transporter going to do? I know that, for used cars, this is Beepi's business model, so there are plenty of people out there that have more of a tolerance for doing this than I do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thought has occurred to me. Just heard from the CA they'd be willing to add CPO ($0 or at a cost??). Also they state: All of the service fleet vehicles are completely detailed and showroom ready upon purchase.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,488 Posts
That thought has occurred to me. Just heard from the CA they'd be willing to add CPO ($0 or at a cost??). Also they state: All of the service fleet vehicles are completely detailed and showroom ready upon purchase.
Have you met the CA? Have him him put the CPO in writing and ignore anything he says about detailing and "showroom" ready. What does showroom ready mean? To me it means ready to sell and cleaned up. Yawn. If the deal is truly spectacular (and you seem not to be sure), take a day off and go see it for yourself. Also, ask for the service records and do a Carfax. A loaner could be in great shape but "could" is the operative word. It could also have a lot of short trip mileage. Don't say you weren't warned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you met the CA? Have him him put the CPO in writing and ignore anything he says about detailing and "showroom" ready. What does showroom ready mean? To me it means ready to sell and cleaned up. Yawn. If the deal is truly spectacular (and you seem not to be sure), take a day off and go see it for yourself. Also, ask for the service records and do a Carfax. a loaner could be in great shape but "could" is the operative word. I could also have a lot of short trip mileage. Don't say you weren't warned.
Thanks for the info. I'm not strongly leaning towards this, but doing my diligence which includes the feedback here.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,080 Posts
Have you met the CA? Have him him put the CPO in writing and ignore anything he says about detailing and "showroom" ready. What does showroom ready mean? To me it means ready to sell and cleaned up. Yawn. If the deal is truly spectacular (and you seem not to be sure), take a day off and go see it for yourself. Also, ask for the service records and do a Carfax. A loaner could be in great shape but "could" is the operative word. It could also have a lot of short trip mileage. Don't say you weren't warned.
CPO will be in writing as part of the paperwork when you buy a CPO.

A loaner that is a CPO is going to be more than "could" be in great shape. It's going to be like new, with a CPO warranty honored by any BMW dealer. Short trip mileage--really? 99% of loaner vehicles are used the same way the owner's car is used on a daily basis--to go to work or the mall.

As to full detail...are they transporting in an enclosed trailer? If not, all the detailing work is going to be a waste, because the car will be filthy when it gets to its destination.

·
Registered
679 Posts
*BMW noob alert*

For kicks I did an "all miles" search on cars.com and found some great looking deals on 2016 328ixdrive loaners w 10K miles on them, but 1000+ miles away. Took a flyer and inquired. Roughly 13K off 46K down to 33K and 0% financing.

Lease terms they offered looked pretty close to standard advertised deal (369/mo for 10K miles/y). So bah humbug, I should do better than that locally on a non-loaner.

The purchase is intriguing though.

Thoughts on buying and shipping a loaner sight unseen? What can go wrong?

Feel to break out the stupid stick
Several years ago, I bought a 2 year old 2004 Porsche 911 4S from Isringhausen in IL, with 1100 miles on the odo, sight unseen. They sent me many pics, and I can tell you that the car was exactly as described when they delivered it in a covered transport. If you have concerns about the BMW you're interested in, ask someone on the board who lives near the BMW dealer you're working with to have a look at the car, or have the dealer arrange for an impartial PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done to ensure all is right with the car - no paintwork, leather/trim/glass/other issues with the car. You can always have them put in writing that if the car is not exactly as promised, it can be returned to them, at their expense.

I purchased my x3 3.5 m-sport on Autotrader, but did drive the 150 miles to see and buy it. 1000 miles is far to travel, but if you're more comfortable not buying sight unseen, then spend a couple hundred bucks and fly out to see it. The other issue is that there are so many 328xi's out there, you should be able to find the "perfect" car for you closer to home. Good luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It better be one hell of a deal to travel that far for a car. I'm more than sure you can negotiate something closer (within 300 miles) to that unless you live in the middle of nowhere with one Bmw dealership.

I traveled from Pittsburgh to D.C. (200 miles to buy mine. I was able to negotiate 14% off of MSRP for mine and they overpaid on my Prius.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Another thing to consider is the in service date since that is when the warranty clock starts running.. you could easily lose 6-12 months of coverage.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,080 Posts
Another thing to consider is the in service date since that is when the warranty clock starts running.. you could easily lose 6-12 months of coverage.
10K mile loaner CPOs will be CPO Elite - 5 years / 75k miles from orig in service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts