BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found what I though was the perfect car...a loaded late 2004 cab with 5000 miles. Unfortunately, the inspection yielded a repaint of the front bumper, hood and both fenders. According to my body shop manager there is no, I repeat, NO, frame damage as it was caused by a low speed collision with a truck that backed up onto the car and scraped the front (according to owner).

So M3 experts: how much $$ value should be deducted from this car due to the repaint? (none, $1K, $5K...) Or, would you stay away from it altogether?

·
Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,347 Posts
I would stay away. My experience has always been that unless the repaint is of very high quality (which almost never happens because the insurance companies don't want to pay) you are guarenteed to experience chipping. So, even if it looks perfect right now, in a year or two you will probably start to see the paint fail and chips appear.

In the end I don't think its worth it. I would rather pay a few grand more for a non-repainted car.

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
If upon inspection you can actually tell that there has been paintwork then I'd say it wasn't done to a high enough standard and I'd pass and keep looking....I can't imagine it's hard to find a loaded 'vert.

·
24/7 Bimmer Addict
514 Posts
dr330cic said:
Finally found what I though was the perfect car...a loaded late 2004 cab with 5000 miles. Unfortunately, the inspection yielded a repaint of the front bumper, hood and both fenders. According to my body shop manager there is no, I repeat, NO, frame damage as it was caused by a low speed collision with a truck that backed up onto the car and scraped the front (according to owner).

So M3 experts: how much $$ value should be deducted from this car due to the repaint? (none, $1K, $5K...) Or, would you stay away from it altogether?
I would stay away. Spending this kind of money, I would want something perfect. But that's just me.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Actually, the fact of the repaint wouldn't bother me. But you see how much it bothers other people, which suggests that this car may be pretty difficult to unload if you decide it's no longer your dream car.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
A Lexus SUV backed into (~1 mph) into the corner of my M3... necessitating $5k in repairs: Xenon housing, front fender and hood required painting. THe impact could not be categorized as more than a "tap".... literally. The xenon required replacement because the plastic tab broke off. The xenon was unscratched, and fully operational.

From non-professional inspection you cannot tell the car's been painted, it's immaculate.... of course, I chose one of the best body shops in the city.

If you feel that you are going to take a hit down stream, force the current owner to take a hit now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the thoughtful replies people. Assuming it's cosmetic only (which I will double-confirm), I will ask for a concession this weekend and see how it goes. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

I was able to get the actual repair document from the body shop. It looks like the damage was cosmetic only. The original panels were refinished (hood, right fender, bumper cover) and I noticed some aluminum "filler" panels were listed for the hood repair. All, repeat, all original panels are in place.

I'm having it double checked for frame damage and will make a call after that. If it was only a cosmetic refinish, think I'll go for it!!

Stay tuned...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts