BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a car. I have heard great things about BMW's. I found a used 2004 X3 2.5i with 102,000 miles for $13,000 (price is negotiable). I has been wonderfully maintained. How many miles could I expect out of this car? How many miles do X3's generally last?

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
How many miles could I expect out of this car? How many miles do X3's generally last?
We don't know yet :)

What we know is that these cars a very solid, tranny in a 2004 is the GM5 (good one) and the M54 engine is strong and smooth as silk, and handling is nimble and agile. I've seen people reporting more than 150,000 miles already.
2.5i is the smallest displacement engine so don't expect great performance. Mine is a 2005 3.0i w/ 106,000 miles, just with regular maintenance; it's been ultra reliable, no major problems, and is a blast to drive.
Judging for the way it drives and feels, I would say it could go over 200,000 miles. I plan to keep it that long so ask me in a few years!

Of course, there are issues reported, mostly Transfer case and sunroof, among others. Long test drive and a PPI is highly recommended. :thumbup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
well at a rate of over 550 miles a week, I'll be at 200k in 3.5 years >.< its been a great car to me in the past few months, except for the whole broken sunroof and persistent water leaks from doors, no matter how well I seal the vapor barriers >.<

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Danny, I note you have a XC60 -- so the X3 will be an airport car or something while you keep the Volvo in the garage? Not a bad plan, the high mileage X3 will probably go for a good long time, if you don't let the small things bother you and you can walk away from it if the big things happen. The price is too high, you should get that for $10K tops -- 7 year old car with over 100K miles. Good luck!:thumbup:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The X3 runs a long time if properly maintained. My 02/04 build is around 117.000mi and although it does require the occasional repair/maintenance (what car this age doesn't?), it's very reliable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am looking to buy a car. I have heard great things about BMW's. I found a used 2004 X3 2.5i with 102,000 miles for $13,000 (price is negotiable). I has been wonderfully maintained. How many miles could I expect out of this car? How many miles do X3's generally last?
I was in your EXACT spot about 2 1/2 months AGO!!
I bought my 2004 x3 2.5 in October-- and asked many many questions, and read up on the forums here in Bimmerfest for research BEFORE buying it.
Mine had 92,000 miles on it at time of purchase (now it has 95,000- so you can see how much i use it!)
I also requested a CarFax report on it-- got a trade in for my own (smashed up) Subaru, and it knocked down to $13,000. With a "Winter Package" and "Sports Package" this car was reported for MORE than that on Kelly Blue Book- So, all around I was thinking it was a good deal. :thumbup:
Mine as well has been 'wonderfully maintained' with new tires to boot!
A guy at the dealership said they had 2 employees that have the 04' x3, and they're up to 200,000- ofcourse, up keep is what is IMPORTANT on these things.
I've actually started a seperate savings account JUST for "repairs"- if they're needed on my x3-- which, i guess after reading a few posts--- the Panoramic Sunroof is what is a MAJOR concern on defaulting or leaking (which i haven't had ANY problems with mine *fingers crossed*)

All in all, it has been GREAT driving it so far-- We will see how nice it is in the winter (since i live in michigan- we get crazy LAKE EFFECT snow) -- and how the AWD handles the slippery/snowy roads.

ONE major thing i would point out to you- is the gas mileage....I don't know what you were driving before, but it was sad that I had to change from my Subaru (that got 27 mpg on the highway)- to my 2004 x3 (that gets AT MOST 22 mpg)---- that was just a sad thing i had to "come to grips" with :) but for the quality of vehicle and performance-- i guess I have to trade that..... ALSO- the x3 takes PREMIUM gas, not regular-- so you will look at a little MORE in "filling up" at the gas station :rolleyes:

HOPE this was a HELP!
here's my x3 :thumbup:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6335&pictureid=24014

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was in your EXACT spot about 2 1/2 months AGO!!
I bought my 2004 x3 2.5 in October-- and asked many many questions, and read up on the forums here in Bimmerfest for research BEFORE buying it.
Mine had 92,000 miles on it at time of purchase (now it has 95,000- so you can see how much i use it!)
I also requested a CarFax report on it-- got a trade in for my own (smashed up) Subaru, and it knocked down to $13,000. With a "Winter Package" and "Sports Package" this car was reported for MORE than that on Kelly Blue Book- So, all around I was thinking it was a good deal. :thumbup:
Mine as well has been 'wonderfully maintained' with new tires to boot!
A guy at the dealership said they had 2 employees that have the 04' x3, and they're up to 200,000- ofcourse, up keep is what is IMPORTANT on these things.
I've actually started a seperate savings account JUST for "repairs"- if they're needed on my x3-- which, i guess after reading a few posts--- the Panoramic Sunroof is what is a MAJOR concern on defaulting or leaking (which i haven't had ANY problems with mine *fingers crossed*)

All in all, it has been GREAT driving it so far-- We will see how nice it is in the winter (since i live in michigan- we get crazy LAKE EFFECT snow) -- and how the AWD handles the slippery/snowy roads.

ONE major thing i would point out to you- is the gas mileage....I don't know what you were driving before, but it was sad that I had to change from my Subaru (that got 27 mpg on the highway)- to my 2004 x3 (that gets AT MOST 22 mpg)---- that was just a sad thing i had to "come to grips" with :) but for the quality of vehicle and performance-- i guess I have to trade that..... ALSO- the x3 takes PREMIUM gas, not regular-- so you will look at a little MORE in "filling up" at the gas station :rolleyes:

HOPE this was a HELP!
here's my x3 :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
whoops! sorry! i didn't mean to post that twice!!
how can you delete one?
I think all you can do is go into Edit and Delete all the content.

The post itself can't be removed entirely so you can put something like "see above (or below)".

BTW, with your 2.5i you should expect to get 25 MPG in the Summer and/or with a light foot.
(Or 30 MPG in Canada, Australia, S. Africa, U.K., etc. - that sounds better doesn't it?)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think all you can do is go into Edit and Delete all the content.

The post itself can't be removed entirely so you can put something like "see above (or below)".

BTW, with your 2.5i you should expect to get 25 MPG in the Summer and/or with a light foot.
(Or 30 MPG in Canada, Australia, S. Africa, U.K., etc. - that sounds better doesn't it?)
LUCKY people over there in Australia and S. Africa and the UK!.... why better gas mileage in those countries??
I'll be looking for that 25 mpg in the summer- we'll see if it's true ;)

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
LUCKY people over there in Australia and S. Africa and the UK!.... why better gas mileage in those countries??
I'll be looking for that 25 mpg in the summer- we'll see if it's true ;)
Imperial gallons are larger than US gallons.

That's why the world should just use one unit of measure: metric system.

25 US mpg is easy for me on the highway in my 2.5i. On free-flowing country roads, I usually score around 27 US mpg.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imperial gallons are larger than US gallons.

That's why the world should just use one unit of measure: metric system.

25 US mpg is easy for me on the highway in my 2.5i. On free-flowing country roads, I usually score around 27 US mpg.
WHAT?? You get 25 mpg with your 2.5 in the U.S.? HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN!!?? Am i doing something WRONG? is something wrong with my 2.5? Because I've been tracking my mpg like a HAWK (when i drove down to Detroit, to visit my sister- which it's 4 hours away from me- I reset the mpg right after I filled up, and the BEST I got was 22 mpg!)
Seriously, I don't know how anyone could be getting anywhere near 25 mpg, let alone 27!!
Is yours a diesel?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Price to high. At this mileage you are facing a lot of upcoming or over due maintenance costs. Upcoming items include complete cooling system overhaul (water pump, radiator, thermostat and hoses and thermostat), probably over due for a CCV replacement, shocks (at least front ones) and some front end work. Complete fluid replacement. Each of these items is probably around $1000 give or take a couple hundred. If you can get it for the right price go for it but bank some bucks for maintenance and oh yea, save yourself a bunch of money - DO NOT OPEN YOUR SUNROOF- period!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I got 25 mpg once coming back from Tahoe (downhill) to the bay area. The rest of the time I am going good if I get 22 mpg on the road and 18 in town with my '06 3.0.:thumbdwn: I don't try to featherfoot it, but neither do I firewall it and that is what I get over the long haul.:tsk:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Isn't this paranoia over the panoramic roof a bit overdone?

Keeping it closed will help achieve best MPG though.
YES, i totally agree....If I had thought (2 1/2 months ago)- that I wouldn't be able to open the panoramic sunroof on my sweet new ride, I wouldn't have BOUGHT IT.....it was definately one of the major reasons i was excited about buying the x3.....
ofcourse, I will use it! and ofcourse I will keep a close eye on it-- and have it looked at every now and then-- but i can honestly say, I would NOT have bought my x3 if i knew I'd never use the sunroof...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The paranoia (and shock) enters into it when you receive the estimate from the dealer to replace the sunroof cassette (they don't repair them it seems, just replace them).:mad: A major weak link in a system that (fortunately) is not vital to the car's operation.:tsk:

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Isn't this paranoia over the panoramic roof a bit overdone?

Keeping it closed will help achieve best MPG though.
I agree. I use it all the time. Just keep your drains clean of debris. If it fails, I'll just have disconnected.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts