BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down to picking b/w 2 335d's with same color scheme:

Deals are similar re: invoice...

The 1st car costs more given the option packages, but the cost difference between the two cars is minor, so that does not matter at all to me.

And resale value is not an issue, as I keep my cars 10 years and more.

The 1st one has no Navigation, but it does have:

Premium Package (leather and lumbar support are desired by me). Auto-dimming mirrors are nice also. I drive a lot at night. And it does provide Bluetooth.

Convenience Package: Alarm, keyless entry, plus those powershades are pretty cool! Don't need any of these, but I especially like the alarm and the keyless entry.

Harmon Kardon and Satellite radio - Harman Kardon is very important to me.

From what I understand, I still can do voice activated controls as I have bluetooth with the premium package, I will just miss that nice shiny navigation screen.

The 2nd one has:
Navigation, with the nifty iDrive control benefits. I don't need the navigation other than maybe once or twice a month, or if I take the vehicle out of town. Given it's (lack of) rear seat leg room, we'll likely stick with our old Expedition for family trips anyway. But I will miss out on that beautiful screen for not only navigation, but also for ipod, radio, plus maintenance and settings controls.

This 2nd car that has Navigation does not have the Premium or Convenience packages, and also does not have Harman Kardon or satellite radio. I never loved satellite radio on my rental cars, so that is not needed, but I will appreciate the Harman Kardon.

The 2nd car does have Paddle Shifters though! Seems like a rare option, and at $100 a real bargain. I am not sure if they will come in handy, but I am used to having a stickshift on my Boxster. From what I have been told, I can control the gears with the stickshift when I want to control the gearshifting, so there is no need for the paddle shifters, but I am a driver, and prefer manual transmissions. It is just that others who will also use this car hate manual transmissions.

I appreciate anyone's 2 cents...Thanks!

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Down to picking b/w 2 335d's with same color scheme:

Deals are similar re: invoice...

The 1st car costs more given the option packages, but the cost difference between the two cars is minor, so that does not matter at all to me.

And resale value is not an issue, as I keep my cars 10 years and more.

The 1st one has no Navigation, but it does have:

Premium Package (leather and lumbar support are desired by me). Auto-dimming mirrors are nice also. I drive a lot at night. And it does provide Bluetooth.

Convenience Package: Alarm, keyless entry, plus those powershades are pretty cool! Don't need any of these, but I especially like the alarm and the keyless entry.

Harmon Kardon and Satellite radio - Harman Kardon is very important to me.

From what I understand, I still can do voice activated controls as I have bluetooth with the premium package, I will just miss that nice shiny navigation screen.

The 2nd one has:
Navigation, with the nifty iDrive control benefits. I don't need the navigation other than maybe once or twice a month, or if I take the vehicle out of town. Given it's (lack of) rear seat leg room, we'll likely stick with our old Expedition for family trips anyway. But I will miss out on that beautiful screen for not only navigation, but also for ipod, radio, plus maintenance and settings controls.

This 2nd car that has Navigation does not have the Premium or Convenience packages, and also does not have Harman Kardon or satellite radio. I never loved satellite radio on my rental cars, so that is not needed, but I will appreciate the Harman Kardon.

The 2nd car does have Paddle Shifters though! Seems like a rare option, and at $100 a real bargain. I am not sure if they will come in handy, but I am used to having a stickshift on my Boxster. From what I have been told, I can control the gears with the stickshift when I want to control the gearshifting, so there is no need for the paddle shifters, but I am a driver, and prefer manual transmissions. It is just that others who will also use this car hate manual transmissions.

I appreciate anyone's 2 cents...Thanks!
Very confusing. You want a stick? Get the second car. Screw the other drivers...you're paying for it. Nav? It's worth it for the time you're owning the car, unless you want to go the "Garmin" route. Satellite radio is getting scary with its "contracts" and reception...are you on the road enough? Are you on the road enough for the Haran Kardon...think about it; if so...go for it.
Seems like car No. 1 with the Harmon Kardon (since you demand it) is the way to go?).

·
Ich bin schneller
2,101 Posts
I think the first car. Navigation is useless unless you do a lot of driving outside of your comfort zone and it's an expensive option. You can get by with an aftermarket unit and upgrade it as time goes on. Paddle shifters are nice if this is a toy car that you'll be doing a lot of spirited driving in, but I think even without the paddle shifters, you'll still have the gear selector to do manual shifting, I believe.

Car number one, all the way.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'd go for the first one without navigation. Factory Nav is mediocre at best compared to a Garmin unit, and it won't likely have any resale value after a few years if you plan on keeping the car awhile. Having dropped Nav/iDrive from the options list on my latest E90, I have no regrets whatsoever. I definitely do recommend the H/K upgrade though!

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,284 Posts
I think the first car. Navigation is useless unless you do a lot of driving outside of your comfort zone and it's an expensive option. You can get by with an aftermarket unit and upgrade it as time goes on. Paddle shifters are nice if this is a toy car that you'll be doing a lot of spirited driving in, but I think even without the paddle shifters, you'll still have the gear selector to do manual shifting, I believe.

Car number one, all the way.
+1 I'd take the 1st one for sure. Auto dimming mirrors alone are very important to me. I don't have HK but I wish I did. I never thought I'd like sat radio but now I'm a fan. Lumbar support and the thigh extender have really helped my back.

·
jertronic
236 Posts
Go with car #1. No brainer! I would be disappointed with stock sound. My HK is also very important to me. My car is very well equipped. It has everything except nav. I have an iPhone and a garmin. Previous poster was correct in that nav comes in handy only when you are driving "out of town". I have the paddle shifters and honestly have not touched the paddle shifters since the 1st month of ownership. Car #1 all the way. Does convenience pkg give you the remote starter?

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
I'll be a contrarian. Car #2 sounds a lot like my car. The idrive screen is awesome. I don't use the nav too often but lobe the idrive. With the exception of lumbar most of the premium package is useless to me. If #2 has paddle shifters then it must have the sport package. Great seats, style 195 wheels, sport suspension. Sport package is awesome and much better than premium or convenience hands down. Does #1 have sport package? If not then I would go for #2 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned that they both have the Sports Package, so seats are great, but without the Premium Package, the sport seats do not have lumbar support, from what I have heard. I have always liked lumbar, but some seats may have enough anyway. My Boxster is fine without it.

The Navigation (car #2) itself is not important to me, but the iDrive is, as it lets you see more of your ipod music, your phone lists, etc. And the car with the Nav does have Smartphone Integration and BMW Apps options also.
? I am not sure if not having Nav with that big screen makes using your iphone/ipod much more difficult?

The car with the Nav does have the paddle shifters...I am not sure if these are any more enjoyable than using the gear selector with your right hand? I plan to use manual mode when tooling through my curving local roads at the wee hours of the morning.

And no, the convenience package does not have a remote starting capability.

As I hold a car 10 years or more God-willing, this is a choice I will have to live with awhile, and it is a little tough. Leaning towards car #1, due to Harman Kardon and the dimming mirrors and the lumbar. Also, the window shades will be nice when I am in my gangsta-mode :rofl: http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned that they both have the Sports Package, so seats are great, but without the Premium Package, the sport seats do not have lumbar support, from what I have heard. I have always liked lumbar, but some seats may have enough anyway. My Boxster is fine without it.

The Navigation (car #2) itself is not important to me, but the iDrive is, as it lets you see more of your ipod music, your phone lists, etc. And the car with the Nav does have Smartphone Integration and BMW Apps options also.
? I am not sure if not having Nav with that big screen makes using your iphone/ipod much more difficult?

The car with the Nav does have the paddle shifters...I am not sure if these are any more enjoyable than using the gear selector with your right hand? I plan to use manual mode when tooling through my curving local roads at the wee hours of the morning.

And no, the convenience package does not have a remote starting capability.

As I hold a car 10 years or more God-willing, this is a choice I will have to live with awhile, and it is a little tough. Leaning towards car #1, due to Harman Kardon and the dimming mirrors and the lumbar. Also, the window shades will be nice when I am in my gangsta-mode :rofl: http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif
I freakin' love iDrive, and I think the Navigation system is pretty nice. When I'm not using it to navigate (which, I admit, is not very often) I still use it to check traffic.

BTW, I believe all cars with nav have a Sirius tuner built in and turning it on is just a programming charge. I don't think Sirius is all that important, although I have enjoyed having it.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,886 Posts
#1 - absolutely no question. Otherwise you'll regret your decision for the next ten years. iDrive is a fun toy that will quickly lose its novelty. Your phone can probably navigate as well as the in-car navigation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd go with #2 in my case - not for nav but for the big screen. I'd spend $1000 afterward to upgrade the speaker + amp to match HK and still look stock (there is an awesome kit for it, I hear) but it's nearly impossible to get the same look and usefulness of iDrive. Having a native Nav is super convenient compared to any add-on like Garmin, even if the routing may not be as good.

Since you are going to keep this as long as you can, think in terms of what you can upgrade and what you can't.

·
Registered
323 Posts
... I am not sure if not having Nav with that big screen makes using your iphone/ipod much more difficult?
I'll admit that it took a few minutes longer to set all the "one time" personalizations without the big iDrive display (or your dealer can do this for you at delivery if you prefer), but beyond that I've had no problems using my iPhone or iPod without the iDrive display. You can still scroll through your music and phone book, you just use the radio knob instead of the larger iDrive knob. Plus, I much prefer the dash layout without the iDrive wart growing out of the center. In either case I'd suggest trying out a non-iDrive car at the dealer before making your decision. That'll help you more then anyone's opinion here.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I'll admit that it took a few minutes longer to set all the "one time" personalizations without the big iDrive display (or your dealer can do this for you at delivery if you prefer), but beyond that I've had no problems using my iPhone or iPod without the iDrive display. You can still scroll through your music and phone book, you just use the radio knob instead of the larger iDrive knob. Plus, I much prefer the dash layout without the iDrive wart growing out of the center. In either case I'd suggest trying out a non-iDrive car at the dealer before making your decision. That'll help you more then anyone's opinion here.
The car settings are not really a big deal with our without iDrive. A little easier to change on the fly via iDrive, but its not like it is so impossible to do via the control stalk. If that is the main reason somebody is looking at iDrive, IMO, it is not worth it.

The iPod control, HD radio, and other features via iDrive are world's easier though. There is absolutely no way the one or two line display on the radio gives you as easy an interface as iDrive.

·
Ich bin schneller
2,101 Posts
I would be worried about long term reliability of the iDrive system as this car will stay in the garage for ten years. I wouldn't want that expense or even the liability.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
I would be worried about long term reliability of the iDrive system as this car will stay in the garage for ten years. I wouldn't want that expense or even the liability.
What leads you to worry the iDrive is unreliable? I have seen few posts about failing iDrives.

·
Ich bin schneller
2,101 Posts
What leads you to worry the iDrive is unreliable? I have seen few posts about failing iDrives.
No evidence. I just know bimmers tend to be twice as likely as Japanese cars to have faulty electronics after like five years and that is a major one. If I'm keeping a car 10 years, I would want to keep it simple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bimmer and Sunny - What about the Premium do you prefer so much? I will already have a Sport seat as I have the Sport Package in both cars. Thanks again.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Bimmer and Sunny - What about the Premium do you prefer so much? I will already have a Sport seat as I have the Sport Package in both cars. Thanks again.
Pretty much everything it comes with. IMO it shouldn't even be a package but standard on this class of vehicle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts