BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a car with a lot of miles (2007 RAV4), my wife drives one that's rather old (2003 325i). I'm toying with the idea of going "all in" on two cars instead of replacing one. For her, an X5, probably leased. For me, maybe a 320 or 328, possibly CPO or a demo, probably financed.

Wondering how much leverage I have purchasing two cars instead of one. This is a bit of a longshot but if the numbers are there, I might pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for any input. This forum rocks.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I drive a car with a lot of miles (2007 RAV4), my wife drives one that's rather old (2003 325i). I'm toying with the idea of going "all in" on two cars instead of replacing one. For her, an X5, probably leased. For me, maybe a 320 or 328, possibly CPO or a demo, probably financed.

Wondering how much leverage I have purchasing two cars instead of one. This is a bit of a longshot but if the numbers are there, I might pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for any input. This forum rocks.
Its about the same, actually... provided you do your homework and know what you want, and handle each transaction separately.

A dealer would probably like to get two sales so may be more aggressive but they can only go so far. The CPO would be the kicker because used cars do not have static costs. Two cars with the same miles on a dealer lot (same year) may have had vastly different costs to the dealer, so while they may list them both for the same price, they might have WAAAY more room to move on one than the other.

If you are flexible on the CPO car, you might try to work with a sponsor (I would choose Jon in BMW Santa Barbara if you are in the bay area), and just tell him what you want to do. I would not recommend specifically that at another dealership, but jon is fair. I would couch it like " I want to lease a new X5 and possibly purchase a CPO 328. Do you have any 328s that you could make me an incredible deal on?

And then see what he has available. If you are dealing with a regular dealer, you will need to be much more guarded. I would start on the new car get the deal you want, then say something like " I am also looking at a CPO 328, and kind of want to get them in the same place.. anything you have that might be a good deal?"

Separate the deals in your head financially, but tie them together as an all or nothing with the dealer, and see how that goes. Thats how I would do it if I were trying to do that. Others may give you different advice... but I would start with Jon. Probably worth the drive (well, not probably, he IS worth the drive but it depends on if he has a CPO 3 series you are even remotely interested in).

·
Registered
321 Posts
You should really contact a forum sponsor, like Jon Shafer in Santa Barbara or farther south Greg Poland. They are both excellent to deal with, that way you won't have to come back here and ask if you got a good deal?? Also, leasing is a little more complicated than buying, take advantage of the MSD's on the lease, read about all the good leasing info you need to make a good deal on this forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts