BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next couple of months I'm going to be buying a 535i from a family member. It's a 93 so it has all the options I currently have on my 95 540i. Now I know the head gasket goes quite a bit in these engines so I'm going to do a small overhaul on the top end of the motor, and getting a new clutch because it's in need of a replacement. How does this car stack up in comparison to the 540? I'm buying it because I love these cars and my brother (when he's old enough) will be driving it. The car currently has around 164xxx km on it now so nothing big will need to be replaced until the 200k range.

All I want to know is

1.) what should I expect in comparison to the 540i.
2.) other than the headgasket, what is another common problem for the 535i engine-wise.
3.) what are common problems with the manual 5 speed transmissions that come with the car?

Btw I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on preventative maintenance on it right when I get the car (sorry roberto, I don't have the money or time for that)

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
In the next couple of months I'm going to be buying a 535i from a family member. It's a 93 so it has all the options I currently have on my 95 540i. Now I know the head gasket goes quite a bit in these engines so I'm going to do a small overhaul on the top end of the motor, and getting a new clutch because it's in need of a replacement. How does this car stack up in comparison to the 540? I'm buying it because I love these cars and my brother (when he's old enough) will be driving it. The car currently has around 164xxx km on it now so nothing big will need to be replaced until the 200k range.

All I want to know is

1.) what should I expect in comparison to the 540i.
2.) other than the headgasket, what is another common problem for the 535i engine-wise.
3.) what are common problems with the manual 5 speed transmissions that come with the car?

Btw I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on preventative maintenance on it right when I get the car (sorry roberto, I don't have the money or time for that)
your fuel consumption will be higher as its older technology. however that said, the M30 is pretty much bulletproof, you can do whatever you like to it you wont kill it. it was developed in like the 60s so by the time it got into the E34, it was brilliant from the facotry. havent heard about the headgaskets going in these more than any other bmw or non-bmw engine. the only issues with the manual gearboxes are the syncro on them wear out with age, tho the kms you have noted are well premature of that which is good for you. that generally starts to become noticable in city driven cars with 300kkms+

·
Registered
104 Posts
The M30 will be far less efficient than even your V8. They say it's bulletproof, but a friend of mine had a bad gasket, oil supply was getting contaminated with coolant. Ended up taking the top end off and doing some engine work. But he had like over 200,000 miles on the car though. On the plus side, these engines I think are easier to work on, though I'm no mechanic.
My Getrag went bad, first I lost the syncos and had to play with the gas pedal to shift half way smooth; then I lost the 2nd gear and just drove it, shifting from 1st into 3rd directly and with bad syncros and even that was ok, but got annoying quick. Got a used ZF supposedly from an e36 M3 for like $600 with a decent clutch, new guilbo and labor cost me another $500. I think that even included fluid. So no biggie. The failure in these gearboxes tend to be gradual, gives you time to prepare. Unless you lose 1st gear of course, then it's a real problem :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Valve adjustments every 20k miles.

I was originally going to get a 535i/5 but decided against it because I want something more fuel efficient than what I already have. I haven't completely ruled a 535 out though.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Less power.

·
Registered
667 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.