BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Siegfried
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i currently own a 98 740i but i am in the market for a z. I am going to test drive a 96 z3 1.9 w/ 105k miles on it this tuesday(being sold for 3k). I am thinking of buying it and having it be a base for my 1st sporty car ( only my 2nd car so far) and then in maybe a year move up and buy a z4/z4m. which would be better buying a decent z3 and getting the feel for it and then moving up or saving up and going for a z4/z4m outright.

Here are a few factors:
I got my first car last december
I just got my first credit card in march
I talked with my inscurance company and byying the 96 z3 wouldnt make my monthly go up at all but if i bought a z4 3.0 it would jump about $170 a month
I am 22 at the moment so not a lot of experience with roadster/sports cars (which is a big reason i think it might be better to buy the z3 then upgrade later after i get the feel or a decent roadster)
Thanks guys
-harley

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,177 Posts
... I am 22... got my first car last december... a 98 740i... going to test drive a 96 z3 1.9 w/ 105k miles on it this tuesday(being sold for 3k)... got my first credit card in march...
I don't think either of those cars is very good for you. If you need reliable and economical transportation, a Z3 with 105,000 miles for $3,000 is probably going to disappoint you.
Before you go see the car, read:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8428311&postcount=3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hold off, save a few extra dollars and find a better car. BMWs are great cars, but when a repair bill comes in you learn Germans aren't cheap.

·
Yoda with a library card
327 Posts
Hold off, save a few extra dollars and find a better car. BMWs are great cars, but when a repair bill comes in you learn Germans aren't cheap.
I will respectfully disagree. If you are handy with a wrench or are patient reading and watching YouTube videos, just about every repair for these cars is out there. Finding parts on line is easy and affordable. If you are not handy, be prepared for a bill.

That being said, any $3000, 15+ year old car is going to need some maintenance to bring it up to spec and should have some preventative things done to it as well to make it reliable. I'm not a fan of always waiting till it breaks then fix it. I like to know that the car is going to get me to work Monday morning when I turn the key. There are many threads on the common failures and maintenance that should be done. I would plan on another $1000 to really make a good, reliable car.

The Z3 and Z4 cars are very very different cars. Do a little research and you will see that there is very little in common then decide what you and your wallet can do together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The most helpful info would be how much cash you make at the end of the month after rent, bills....
Credit card is only good for building credit and can get you into huge trouble if you can't afford your lifestyle. Those banks are crooks.

·
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
400 Posts
I love my '98 Z3 2.8L roadster, but I have thrown money at it for varies maintenance issues. If you a decent shade tree mechanic, then the cost of upkeep isn't bad. But if you have the BMW dealership work on it, think $$$$.

My twin brother has a Honda S2000, which is very reliable, he hasn't spent a penny toward maintenance. It is faster and handles better than a Z3 and Z3M.

·
Registered
575 Posts
like Wertles said, if and only if you are handy with a wrench and can do a majority of the upkeep yourself can this possibly have a good outcome. While the car is fun to drive it can be a true money pit. Even though your intentions are good in the fact of wanting to upgrade later, the truth is that you may not have any money to do so if you are pouring it all into the car just to keep it running, Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

·
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
400 Posts
I agree, the Z4 doesn't look like a classic roadster like the Z3. I hate the side of the car, it always looks like a big dent in the sheet metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts