BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on what I've read, I'm interested in buying an E90 via the ED program. I understand that some dealers are more open than others (I've seen Delon BMW in Oregon mentioned more than once), so it looks like it definitely pays to shop around. I'm prepared to look far and wide (very far and wide!) to find the best deal with a flexible dealer.

I'm assuming there are no legal restrictions on buying out-of-state and then "importing" the car into your home state. I'm also assuming that there are dealers who are willing to do such "cross border" trades.

My questions:
1. When you pick up your car at the dealer, what state is it registered in? The dealer's state or your home state? It must be the dealer's state, right? So what home address would they use? It's then up to you to go through the admin of bringing it into your home state.

2. If the car is registered initially in another state, then of course you have to have the car insured in that state from day one despite living in another one. So there's a mismatch (at least for a few weeks). I assume this is no big deal for insurance companies, right?

3. I assume you pay sales tax in the state of the dealer?

4. Is there a single "USA version" of each BMW? I ask this because the state I may be importing it into is California, which has strict emissions standards. I would hate to buy the car in another state and then find out that it wouldn't pass a smog check.

Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
207 Posts
just buy in california. Santa Barbara BMW; franco or keith

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
The decision of buying out of state is a personal one.

Now onto your questions:
1) Yes the car will be delivered to the selling dealer, unless Courtesy Delivery (sounds easier than it really is, this is a different can of wurms that should be a different questiin/topic)
2) 2 separate issues: A) Not every state will allow you to register in their state as a guest/vistor. In fact most of them don't. What they will do is sell you a "trip" permit so you can get the car out of their state within 2 days and up to 1 month. Ohio for example requires you to register the car as an out of state residence (so you HAVE TO pay thier registration fees) on a temporary basis, but they will exempt you from paying sales tax. California OTOH requires you to pay the sales tax (which is ALOT) but is willing to exempt you from registering the car and sell you the temporary "trip permit" so you can drive it back home. Oregon has no sales tax, and will sell you a trip permit for 30 days to get you back home.
B) Insurance company: Most don't care were the car is registered at temporarily, just so long you can provide them w/ a VIN #.

3) It depends on the state.

4) All US Model BMWs are "50 state cars" and meet the CARB (aka Cal Emmision) requirement.

If you are in Cal, I'd give Fraco of Santa Barbara BMW a call. He is da man!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Don't know where you are located but I have had a very smooth transaction thus far with Neil Westphal of Neubold BMW in Illinois. He is the only dealer of the 30 I contacted who was willing to negotiate price on ED of 2006 650. Although I have not yet completed the deal, I have no reason to believe that it will not proceed as smoothly as it has thus far. Neil has arranged for courtesy deelivery to Oregon, and has been very responsive to me. I naturally was hesitant to conduct a $70K transaction via email and phone, so have had tons of questions. Neil has been straightforward throughout our correspondence.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts