BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
bewilderbeast
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done it?

I bought the M3 without a test drive.
And am this close to a 335i, and have not driven it.

Had a 99 328i and a 01 330i, both of which I did test drive.

·
Bored
3,617 Posts
I bought my E93 328i without a test drive, having never seen one. No regrets.

·
Registered
236 Posts
dont even think twice. just get it. Its a masterpiece of a car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got my 540 on the phone from across the country. But I was going to it after 8 years of driving 535's. So, I wasn't new to BMWs by any means, though I was new to v8's at the time.

I just ordered the e90 335 with MT without ever test-driving an MT -- since there aren't any at the dealer. But the auto was good enough to give me a feel.

If you are going from an M3 to a 335, though, you might notice the difference in the engine revs, the transmission, and the supsension.

I doubt you are going to be dissapointed, though... Are there really any dissapointed 335 owners out there?

TIP

·
Registered
51 Posts
No test drive here...they dont stock MT at dealer. Ended up driving a e93 335i- AT w/paddles. Gave me a good feel though and I knew the MT would be a bit quicker too. :thumbup:

·
qk
728 Posts
its a big difference from an m3. i say test drive, it's turbo. i've heard people say they don't like the lag. there is still SOME lag, so yeh, test drive

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530i
337 Posts
Same same, no test drive.

·
False Enthusiast
1,669 Posts
I did not test drive a 335xi before buying. I did drive e90 330xi and was a current e46 owner and had owned bmws previously.

Some cars can probably be taken on faith. Does anyone ever test drive a Ferrari?
The M3, while not on par with an F430, can be trusted to deliver.

BTW the 335xi :str8pimpi

jummo

·
Sup3rman
1,213 Posts
its a big difference from an m3. i say test drive, it's turbo. i've heard people say they don't like the lag. there is still SOME lag, so yeh, test drive
I've not noticed any turbo lag - not anything different than any other throttle response from other NA vehicles.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Just dont get married without a test drive.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
I test drove a step/non-sport but bought a 6MT/sport without testing either. The car is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've not noticed any turbo lag - not anything different than any other throttle response from other NA vehicles.
I also notice no turbo lag, just throttle lag in D mode only. This car has so much torque down low, even compared with an M3, you may think your M3 had the "torque lag".

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello, Robert. I think the question is not whether the 335i is a good car, but whether it is a good car for you.

If you do live in S.F. and have a little time, I think it would be easy for you to find a 335i to test. Even if it isn't configured as you would buy it (e.g., auto rather than manual transmission), by testing it you would get a firsthand sense of the model line. IMO, there's no substitute for this.

I was shopping for a 335xi manual, and I ended up test driving a 328xi manual and a 335i auto (because that's what was available.) Between the two I was able to easily imagine the physical reality of the 335xi.

Short of a true exotic (another respondent mentioned Ferrari), I would never buy a vehicle without testing it first.

Regards,

Snaxster

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my 335i Convertible without test driving it since they were not in production yet. And if I didn't like the car when it came in, I wouldn't have to take delivery of it. In my case, the dealer would have had no problem selling it for more money if I didn't like it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ordered a E92 328 without ever test driving it. I sat in one they had at the dealer but it was a ordered and the customer was about to pick it up so I couldnt drive it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I bought my 335i Convertible without test driving it since they were not in production yet. And if I didn't like the car when it came in, I wouldn't have to take delivery of it. In my case, the dealer would have had no problem selling it for more money if I didn't like it.
+1

Once E93s starting arriving in dealerships my dealer had a 328 I could drive, but no 335s. Drove the 328 convertible, knew the 335 would be fantastic and it is! The first 335 convertible I drove was my own in Munich :bigpimp:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts