BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Raoul Duke
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buzzing noise coming from what appears to be on the passenger side towards the middle. I can only tell it's buzzing at idle. It can be pretty loud. I've read this is the fuel pump, but I'm not sure the sound level is normal. Anyone else have the problem?

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
jw said:
I've got a buzzing noise coming from what appears to be on the passenger side towards the middle. I can only tell it's buzzing at idle. It can be pretty loud. I've read this is the fuel pump, but I'm not sure the sound level is normal. Anyone else have the problem?
It's like a buzz/hiss noise. It's the fuel pump.

·
Raoul Duke
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: buzzing noise - fuel pump?

alee said:

It's like a buzz/hiss noise. It's the fuel pump.
Does it get loud? I didn't notice it being as loud when I first got the car. Guess I could always run it past the dealership to make sure it's ok.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Re: Re: Re: buzzing noise - fuel pump?

jw said:

Does it get loud? I didn't notice it being as loud when I first got the car. Guess I could always run it past the dealership to make sure it's ok.
Mine has always been kind of noisy, but I haven't noticed it getting louder. May want to just check against a dealer car.

·
Registered
365 Posts
In other cars I've owned, fuel pumps that are dying sound louder when there is less fuel in the tank. Apparently a full tank of fuel increases the pressure in the line and eases the load on the dying pump. I don't know if this is also the case in a 3, but it might be a nice test to try.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
My transfer pump gurgles around mid-tank when it tries to suck the remaining gas out of the driver side pump into the passenger side (it always tries to keep the passenger site topped up). Other than that, though, I've never heard it.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
My pump is extremely loud-- if you're standing outside the car that's the main thing you here-- this loud annoying buzzing. It can also be heard from inside the car at idle. I've started paying attention to the sounds other cars make and have never noticed such a loud fuel pump on any other car. I did notice the sound on a 330 the other night-- but not on older 328s and 323s. I also didn't hear the sound from a 740i or a 2001 525. BMW makes such a big deal about their sound engineering capabilites but our cars seem to have skipped that process. I guess its considered "normal", but everytime I hear it I think the pump is about to die-- it makes the same amount of noise whether the tank is full or almost empty.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
robg said:
I guess its considered "normal", but everytime I hear it I think the pump is about to die
Ever listen to a Ford power steering pump? Yikes! :yikes:

While I agree that the fuel pump on our cars (most certainly what you're hearing jw) is rather loud, I don't think it's abnormally loud. I have mentioned to my friends on several occassions though, "wow, listen to that thing hum."

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
My wasn't loud until they replaced it under a bulleton(sp) issued on it, the new one is really loud at idle . . .

It's pretty weird that my old 0one was quiet and I go to service from somehtig else and they end up giving me a noisy one :eek:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Alan F said:
My wasn't loud until they replaced it under a bulleton(sp) issued on it, the new one is really loud at idle . . .

It's pretty weird that my old 0one was quiet and I go to service from somehtig else and they end up giving me a noisy one :eek:
At least you know it's doing its job. =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.