BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus XL's. i developed a sidewall bubble on one of the Potenza's that are on the car and as they had close to 20K it was time for them to go. I'm going to run the new tires through the winter to see how I like them. If I feel that I'm missing more summer performance than I want I'll buy another set of summer tires and wheels next spring and store the A/S's until needed again. I might have tried the Conti's but they were backordered for a couple of months. Oh well... At some point after the break in I'll report back.

Anyone else running these and have any comments?

Lawrence

·
Boosted Bavarian
1,272 Posts
I have had those on my car for about 3 months and 5k miles.
Pros:
Improvement in absorbing minor road shocks.
Tread design is quieter and gives nice grip in wet and rainy conditions.
Tire compound offers better grip in cold temperatures.
Cons:
Not as sticky as a high performance summer tire in warmer temperatures, so its easier to light up the DTC.
Softer sidewalls take a little of that edgy responsiveness away.

For me, I think the pros far outweigh the cons. My car is a daily driver, so I’m willing to sacrifice a little performance to gain the additional safety of better wet and cold traction. I’m also enjoying the relatively cushy and quite ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm considering replacing my OEM Bridgestone Potenza RFT's with Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss.

What are you doing for a spare tire? By going with no RFT's, plan to buy a kit and a spare?
I ordered the Conti kit and a plug kit. No spare. We'll see how it goes. If all else fails I'll call the tow truck.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
A lot of people bash A/S tires on here. I've had my Yoko Advan A/S on for about a year now. They totally suck in any snow (even a dusting) and that was expected. But they do provide traction in cold weather, which is want I wanted. And they grip well enough that I've never gotten them to squeal or break loose on me. While I might not be going ludicrous speed, I certainly don't baby my car, especially when I meet a fun turn in the road. I'm stupid enough to drag my knee while riding my Daytona 675 on public roads. I drive with the same level of stupidity, and the A/S tires have not failed me.

That said, I'm sure if you were a good enough driver to push the car to it's limits, there would be a noticeable difference between A/S and summer tires. But I'm not good enough (or crazy enough) to find that limit on public roads. At 90%, A/S tires have been great.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
When I live in Upstate New York and Western Massachusetts it made sense to have dedicated summer and winter tires. In a climate like the one in New York City where the winter temperature may vary from 20 degrees to 50 degrees in the same week AS tires make a lot of sense, particulaly if you do not have to take the car out when it snows.

Allthough in theory dedicted summer tires should outperform all seasons it is not like the OEM RFT Bridgestones are particularly good performing tires. So in my case I concluded that Ultra High Performance non-RFT All Season tires outperform POS RFT dedicated summer tires. I have pushed both to their limits on the same Autocross Track (a dedicated track not cones in a parking lot) and found that going from the OEM Bridgestones to the Pirelli All Seasons there was not a degredation in performance.

CA

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of people bash A/S tires on here. I've had my Yoko Advan A/S on for about a year now. They totally suck in any snow (even a dusting) and that was expected. But they do provide traction in cold weather, which is want I wanted. And they grip well enough that I've never gotten them to squeal or break loose on me. While I might not be going ludicrous speed, I certainly don't baby my car, especially when I meet a fun turn in the road. I'm stupid enough to drag my knee while riding my Daytona 675 on public roads. I drive with the same level of stupidity, and the A/S tires have not failed me.

That said, I'm sure if you were a good enough driver to push the car to it's limits, there would be a noticeable difference between A/S and summer tires. But I'm not good enough (or crazy enough) to find that limit on public roads. At 90%, A/S tires have been great.
I don't drive at the edge in my car on public roads either. I suspect the A/S tires will be just fine for me. If I start tracking my car I'll buy track tires.

Lawrence

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Tell ya what though, going to summer PS2's, performance is upgraded, comfort much upgraded; cornering noise is absent.

Winter tires recommended later in the year - that's a major upgrade from summer Potenzas.
Since I have had the car there has only been one occasion when I would have taken advantage of winter tires. The performance of the All Seasons is more than adequate for my purposes.

CA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.