BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JohnA
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replace the battery in my 2012 X6, is it indicated that the battery was not supporting the electrical functions. This occurred after I had an oil change. I brought it to the dealership and They confirmed and installed a new battery. At that point I lost Comfort assist, Bluetooth, warning tones, CD player, radio, And I had to put the key Fob into the ignition to start the car. The dealership Now it says the amplifier needs to be replaced, at which time all electrical will work. I’m skeptical of their advice, any insight would be appreciated.

John A

·
JohnA
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They now say they bypassed the amp and everything works. Point being, they***8217;re 100% sure it***8217;s the amp. They are now seen $1300 for the amp, installed. Is that a fair price? Thoughts appreciated! Forgive my typos, using voice recognition

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Amp for no sound seems like a likely culprit. What is the breakdown of your quote? Part price, number of labor hours, diagnostics fee, etc... Not sure how much the part is, check realoem.com for the part price. Labor should not be all that much as I believe it is easily accessible after removing some trim in the rear cargo area. You could try a used one from a recycler. It would be cheaper but then of course you have to either diy or find a shop to install a part you are supplying. Not a given.

While amp is likely to fix no sound problems, it won’t do anything for the comfort access issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
Agree that an amp will NOT fix a CA issue.

Would not be at all surprised if SA is lying to you about bypassing the amp and all is OK. (In fact, tell him "Great, I'll come by and confirm that, then I'll pay the 1300")

There was a recall/service action on the FRM module. That could impact your issues as described.

If they will promise IN WRITING that "all issues to be fixed for $1300" then maybe.... HOWEVER, it may well be that the issue is only the FRM; that BMW will fix under the warranty; but that the SA is trying to steal an extra $1300. Indeed, he may be 100% sure the a amp will fix it cause the amp is fine....

GL

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
Wonder if OP will be back?

"Oh, when we were replacing the amp we also found a bad FRM, but we got BMW to pay for it, so $1300 should do it"

I'm such a cynic.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts