BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I live in California and my wonderful state has a law that says that you have to have plates in the front and rear of your car. I, as a new bimmer owner, love the look of my new car without a license plate in the front.
Do you guys know of a loophole to this law? Do cops even care if people obey this law? And is this a simple fix it ticket?
Thanks in advance for your replies :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've lived in SoCal for 16 years now. Never had a front plate on any vehicle. I have had one ticket, that was an add-on to a parking ticket in Beverly Hills. I paid it, it was $60 (8 years ago maybe?).

I've been pulled over by the highway patrol a free times over the years, never got a ticket for no front plate. Several times I've seen the cop stand up from my passenger-side window to start writing his ticket, walk to the front to get the license plate number, see it's not there, and walk to the back.

About 5 years ago, there was a "crack-down" about no front plates in LA county... I think they gave up.

You might get a ticket or you might not, it's just a simple fine or fix it - no big deal really.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Hey guys,

I live in California and my wonderful state has a law that says that you have to have plates in the front and rear of your car. I, as a new bimmer owner, love the look of my new car without a license plate in the front.
Do you guys know of a loophole to this law? Do cops even care if people obey this law? And is this a simple fix it ticket?
Thanks in advance for your replies :thumbup:
There is no loophole.. CA requires both plates.
The only difference is that some counties enforce it and the other do not.
Orange County for example is not really enforcing it - probably 30% of OC cars drive w/o but these who travel to LA county say - better have it or be rady to pay fix-it tickets.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I have a car registered in NJ which is also a state that requires a front plate. I have not mounted one for the past 8 years though. However I also mainly live in PA which does not require a front plate. I haven't switched because it's more expensive to insure my car in a city versus a suburb.

If you're respectful to the officer, he may give you a warning. I've gotten a few warnings but also 2 or 3 tickets (only in NJ) but it's just a fine. At the end of the day it is technically against the law so I can't complain but it's something I don't mind risking.

IMO if you have other things that are illegal, tint, loud exhaust, etc, you will get ticketed. But if it's just no front plate, you may not.

Ticketed while parked is just a gamble but I rarely street park.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Meter maids in the Berkeley/Oakland area will gladly ticket legally parked vehicles for not having a front license plate. First ticket is $50ish, with subsequent tickets far higher. My solution was to acquiesce - installed the US Millworks towhook license plate mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Usually in CA they don't ticket ONLY for no front plate, they cite for that when you have another infraction (which is the primary reason) for ticketing.
I went many years without a front plate without issue, but then got the no-front-plate added on to another reason for citation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in Ontario Canada and law requires both plates. I was concerned regarding appearance. I can't comment on California situation and foregivenss. Here its always a ticket. FYI....BMW offers a front plate stage and frame that forms to the curve of the bumper takes the plate. Nicely finished with a clear plastic cover, if you have to go this way. I'm ok with the look but don't really have a choice. I hate seeing nice cars with a plate, flimsy is just screwed into the plastic.

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for your replies
I'm a California Highway Patrol officer out here. Unfortunately there is no loophole. I hated drilling holes in my front bumper, but alas, was forced to in order to be compliant (you know, the whole hypocrisy thing).

You do have some latitude on placement, but it has to be on the outside of the vehicle, and securely mounted (no zip ties).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Just be careful, I have a fix-it ticket for not having front license plate. Put the tow hook holder version and paid the small fine.
This infraction is clearly not a moving violation, but on the next insurance renewal I was slapped with surcharge cause Lexis-Nexis report says something"illegal" and my former insurance doesn't care even after explanation.
Got to switch insurance to local one, cause they are willing to check the DMV directly.

I even talked to the police after installing my license holder, and he says "yes it's not a big deal cause no one will able to read front license plate in a crime, just that sometime the toll reader on freeway can't read the rear license plate", And I know that's bull cause the toll reader never miss a toll on my car before I put front license plate anyway. the PD should just tell me it's just another "sinned" tax for PD to collect, easy money :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just be careful, I have a fix-it ticket for not having front license plate. Put the tow hook holder version and paid the small fine.
This infraction is clearly not a moving violation, but on the next insurance renewal I was slapped with surcharge cause Lexis-Nexis report says something"illegal" and my former insurance doesn't care even after explanation.
Got to switch insurance to local one, cause they are willing to check the DMV directly.

I even talked to the police after installing my license holder, and he says "yes it's not a big deal cause no one will able to read front license plate in a crime, just that sometime the toll reader on freeway can't read the rear license plate", And I know that's bull cause the toll reader never miss a toll on my car before I put front license plate anyway. the PD should just tell me it's just another "sinned" tax for PD to collect, easy money :)
I work express lanes enforcement on the 110 freeway all the time. The cameras are constantly not getting reads on the plates. Even when both plates are installed, sometimes it won't read either (though that is more rare). This is why you are required to have a transponder in the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
So if the car has transponder, front plate is optional then:bigpimp:

I have transponder on all my cars. Here in WA state, you can't get free toll even riding with 3 people, unless you have transponder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts