BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my 2002 M3 Service Guide lists that the cabin microfilter is to be replaced at each oil & filter service. However, I see that the cabin filter was replaced only once (at 3 years) during a no-cost service visit for a low annual milege oil service. The micofilter was not replaced at the 1 year and 2 year low annual mileage oil services. I now have 18,000 miles on it I still show 7200 miles to Inspection I, which will probably be sometime in 2010.

I took the M3 in for an annual $100 oil service at the dealer the other day and again the cabin microfilter was not changed. Has BMW changed their service recommendations foro the cabin microfilter?

Wondering what other E46 M3 owners have been doing regarding the frequencey of replacement of the cabin microfilter and isn't there another service display for "Oil change" that comes up separately from the "Inspection" display. I've had the oil changed annually (never more than 2000 miles) and have never seen an "Oil Change Light" even though I asked the dealer not to reset the oil service counter.

Wonder what's going on here?

Also noticed tonight that Level I and II both require an E46 M3 check and adjustment of the valves, but my two differenent dealers (and others here on this and other forums) state that valve adjustments are normally pushed out to Level II if the engine tappets sound good and the car runs fine? Weird.

BTW, what is the typical mileage needed for the E46 M3 Oil Service Light to come on? .... I Can't find a mileage recommendation listed in my owners manual.

·
NADAVAN
631 Posts
Please...go out and drive that car. BMWs and M cars especially need to be driven!!! When you drive it, at least take it out for a good drive of reasonable distance and various conditions. Get it warmed up, do some high rpm driving, and enjoy the beast for what it is.

Most drivers see the oil services and inspectins about every 15k miles with the oil service and inspection services alternating so it goes:
oil service
inspection 1
oil service
inspection 2
repeat
There is no oil change light...it's either an oil service or inspection service.
As a general rule, no, the microfilter is not replaced for the annual low mileage service and the service indicator light is not reset. With the especially low mileage of your car, it's no wonder that the valves have not been adjusted. It's a lot of extra work that you will not reap the benefits of. If you want to pay for it, then by all means, tell them you want it done, but I don't think you'll even notice it.

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
I had the vavles adjusted as part of inspection I on mine at 22k miles. Of course I just bought the car and wanted it to be "perfect".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do drive the M3 aggressively every 2 weeks when it's turn comes up. I go for 30-40 straight miles (when not raining) and then top off the tank. I return it to it's stable where I block the tires, place it in neutral, release the parking brake, crack all the windows and sunroof to decompress the weatherstripping rubber and put it on the BMW battery tender.

It still smells new after 6-1/2 years. It's basically a large piece of warehouse of furniture according to my wife (and I guess I tend to agree).

Thanks for the info on the service indicator lights :thumbup:

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Annual oil change is not the same thing as an Oil Service. Look at your warranty and service manual for the other things that are done for an Oil Service.

An annual oil change is just that, they change the oil and filter. The Oil Service is based on total fuel usage, and comes up every 8K - 15K miles depending on how you drive.

If you are still coming up to Inspection 1, then it is proper that your micro filter has only been changed once, as you have only had one Oil Service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts