BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 535 for 7 months and could no be happier with one exception. I am suprised by the amount of "air" noise in the cabin. It seems to be coming from where the door meets the body around my shoulder. I checked the gasket with a piece of paper and could pull it out with some pressure. This is my first BMW. Is this sound "normal". thanks

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
I don't have any such air noise in my 535i. Do you mean it's kind of like a door is part way open? Something is wrong.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any such air noise in my 535i. Do you mean it's kind of like a door is part way open? Something is wrong.
No it's no as noisy as when the door is half open. I guess on a scale of 1 (extremly quiet) to 10 (window open) mine would be a 3-3.5.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
My 535 is very quiet. You may want to get it checked out. Possibly a faulty window or door seal.
Ditto.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Have had my 535 for 7 months and could no be happier with one exception. I am suprised by the amount of "air" noise in the cabin. It seems to be coming from where the door meets the body around my shoulder. I checked the gasket with a piece of paper and could pull it out with some pressure. This is my first BMW. Is this sound "normal". thanks
This is not normal.

On my previous 2008 535i there was a bad seal on the sunroof that had to be replaced initially to quiet down that air noise.

These are hard to explain to the dealer service but a good SA should take this seriously and get the seals looked after.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have exactly the same issue, lots of wind noise at my left shoulder. I complained about it immediately when I bought the car...much more noise than my 2006 550i, and much more noise than my wife's X5. Sounds as if the back window is down a quarter inch, very annoying. I have soft close doors and they adjusted the driver's door to have it tighten down a bit more, no improvement at all. I inspected all of the windows from the outside and cannot notice any gaps. Any ideas anyone? Someone suggested that the window itself may need to be adjusted in its track. I have an appointment next week to put my summer tires on and to have the wind noise issue looked at (again). Will update you then.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same noise to I think, but I am coming out of a 750Li and I think im thinking into it to much..Keep us posted

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have exactly the same issue, lots of wind noise at my left shoulder. I complained about it immediately when I bought the car...much more noise than my 2006 550i, and much more noise than my wife's X5. Sounds as if the back window is down a quarter inch, very annoying. I have soft close doors and they adjusted the driver's door to have it tighten down a bit more, no improvement at all. I inspected all of the windows from the outside and cannot notice any gaps. Any ideas anyone? Someone suggested that the window itself may need to be adjusted in its track. I have an appointment next week to put my summer tires on and to have the wind noise issue looked at (again). Will update you then.
Looking forward to your update.

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Yikes, that sucks. These things unfortunately seem to be minute defects sometimes when putting the car together, which turn into HUGELY annoying problems for the Owners. They're also very hard to diagnose and fix sometimes.

My previous E-Class had a small wind noise coming from a similar area, and it was hard for me to get it taken cars of. I think it was a rubber seal problem, but couldn't get a definite.

Curious to see if it gets resolved. Good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My 528 has the quietest cabin of any car I've been to....so I think you should get yours checked out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wind noise

I have noticed the same with my car (driver's side also by left shoulder.) It sounds like a whistling noise and is noticeable at 60 + mph. I thought I was being too critical but now that there are others complaining about it, I will have it looked at.

·
Registered
802 Posts
My 528 has the quietest cabin of any car I've been to....so I think you should get yours checked out.
+1. Mine is very quiet at all speeds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Similar noise

Funny this is coming up. What I've noticed is that when a car drives by in the opposite direction (on a non-divided road), it sounds like either driver or rear drive side window is open a crack.

I too checked around the door and could not see anything obvious.

I plan to take in to the dealer and see wha they say. I'll update once I do.

2011 550 xi M-Sport

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same noise. I'm retired and ferry Cadillacs for a local dealer. I find it disturbing that a 40K Cadillac is quieter than my 65K 535. My noise sounds like it's over my left shoulder also.

I asked the dealer to check it out and got the "normal" BS

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
I have the same noise. I'm retired and ferry Cadillacs for a local dealer. I find it disturbing that a 40K Cadillac is quieter than my 65K 535. My noise sounds like it's over my left shoulder also.

I asked the dealer to check it out and got the "normal" BS
Drive another F10 at the dealer and I'm betting it doesn't make the noise -- then take them with you in both cars. As others have said above, my F10 is one of, if not the quietest, cars I've ever driven. No wind noise at all. Interesting that several people seem to have the same issue.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Drive another F10 at the dealer and I'm betting it doesn't make the noise -- then take them with you in both cars. As others have said above, my F10 is one of, if not the quietest, cars I've ever driven. No wind noise at all. Interesting that several people seem to have the same issue.
Mark, a great way to "wrestle this to the ground".

As someone said already the F10 is quiet like a bank vault.

If you hear wind noise ...... seals are bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Zero noise. Only been driving it for 4 days now but mine is so quiet just like others are describing, "a vault". I had a 2001 740iL Sport that I always thought the rear window behind me was slightly open and my wife's 2002 X5 also has same annoying noise. Both dealers told me multiple times that there was nothing wrong with the seal. I would no longer accept that answer after driving my new F10.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts