BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate putting this up, but I'll give it a try. I had a chance to drive a CTS-V. WOW, it's a beast!! I know they're two different cars, but can someone please tell me if I would be making mistake by switching out of my e46 into CTS-V? Unfortunately, I can't have both:cry:

Some things that I mostly prefer on a car:
Style - interior and exterior
Gagets that work
Speed
Handling
Room in back seat and trunk - for golf clubs. No, don't want an SUV. Wife drives one.
and of course RELIABILITY
MPG - I know, definitely not with the CTS-V.

Be mindful...I'm in my 30's (low:D) and was told that this car is more for the younger crowd.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I really hate putting this up, but I'll give it a try. I had a chance to drive a CTS-V. WOW, it's a beast!! I know they're two different cars, but can someone please tell me if I would be making mistake by switching out of my e46 into CTS-V? Unfortunately, I can't have both:cry:

Some things that I mostly prefer on a car:
Style - interior and exterior
Gagets that work
Speed
Handling
Room in back seat and trunk - for golf clubs. No, don't want an SUV. Wife drives one.
and of course RELIABILITY
MPG - I know, definitely not with the CTS-V.

Be mindful...I'm in my 30's (low:D) and was told that this car is more for the younger crowd.
CTSV is priced a bit to high to be aimed at the younger crowd.

I strongly considered a V.... current base CTS just don't do it for me, although the 2008s are looking nice. A new V MSRPs for 53+.

Vs have one of the best engines around, MPG probably isn't as bad as you think. They are at least as reliable as the new bimmers, you can't beat the speed.

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Seems to me that a CTS-V would fit more into the 5-series class, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback, including future resonses.

I drove a Pre-owned, 2004, which is more in my price range. 2005 will be ok too.
I agree that new ones are pricey!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an '05 CTS-V along with an '07 Z4 coupe. I have 52 k miles on the CTS-V. One of the nice things about the LS1 motor is that it is easy to modify. I have headers, single-mass flywheel, intake, big throttle body and computer time. I am now at about 385 RWHP, up from 322 RWHP bone stock. Routinely get 25 mpg on highway at 5-10mph over posted speed limit.
Nevertheless, the CTS-V has its own issues to wit: a weak rear end, leaky radiator, which were replaced under warranty.

·
Migrated to the X5 SAV
899 Posts
I'd be careful with an '04. I think that was the 1st year they were available.

I just switched from the cadillac srx, then cts-v, to this 5-series.

I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nevertheless, the CTS-V has its own issues to wit: a weak rear end, leaky radiator, which were replaced under warranty.
How long ago was this done? How is it holding up? Mainly the rear end. I know there's an aftermarket unit, but it costs $6K-$7K. Also have you ever driven it in snow? If so, and I'm sure with winter tires, how's the handling? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be careful with an '04. I think that was the 1st year they were available.

I just switched from the cadillac srx, then cts-v, to this 5-series.

I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

:thumbup:
May I ask what was the main reason why you got rid of your CTS?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rear end redone at 42 K miles on the CTS-V, and no issues 10K later - but this is no guarantee of problem-free driving.
Car was delivered with Goodyear F-1 runflats, which were beachballs in the snow. Now I have Dunlop winter tires and the car is a goat in snow. Ditched runflats as soon as I could.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
My relatives have a few different cts caddies and love them and have had amazing good service out of them. An aunt of mine drove hers 94 miles with no coolant in it what so ever and other than the cost of replacing the busted radiator hose and the antifreeze she do no damage to it whatsoever. Wild. Damn fast car too.

I asked her didnt she figure it was a good idea to stop when the smoke came out from under the hood, she said she never saw any smoke and all it did was light up some lights on the dash and seemed a little weaker than normal so she figured it was bad gas or something and drove on to the house because she didnt feel safe stopping coming back from the big city. lol :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CTS-V....It's a no go!

I don't believe I'm going to be making the switch any time soon. After all, I still do love my ZHP and also the people on this site!!!

I got a chance to really inspect the whole car again and the interior got me thinking twice - it's made out of crap; mainly cheap plastic and seems to be peeling (noticed in another CTS-V too). But the car is way fast and has a nice feel to it. If you get a chance...test drive one.

So....I'm staying!! Plus, I still have about 2 years left on my CPO warranty and Maint. So....can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't believe I'm going to be making the switch any time soon. After all, I still do love my ZHP and also the people on this site!!!

I got a chance to really inspect the whole car again and the interior got me thinking twice - it's made out of crap; mainly cheap plastic and seems to be peeling (noticed in another CTS-V too). But the car is way fast and has a nice feel to it. If you get a chance...test drive one.

So....I'm staying!! Plus, I still have about 2 years left on my CPO warranty and Maint. So....can't go wrong there.
i think that is a good idea of u sticking to ur 330 because a friend of mines use to have a brand new 2005 CTS V caddy and when he hit around 40 to 50k miles the motor started to screw his wallet up if u noe what i mean and end up getting rid of it for a new E90

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hate to do this, but it is a funny video. I would not put much stock into one video slamming the CTS-V, but this guy obviously had some issues with his car.

If you choose to watch it, don't forget, you can certainly find plenty of BMW horror stories in the web just like this CTS-V horror story!

Watch at your own risk (of changing your mind):

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cts/1/2421093d-d063-4ea5-89b3-98a500aa04d9.htm

·
Migrated to the X5 SAV
899 Posts
May I ask what was the main reason why you got rid of your CTS?
Lease was up. And:
a. I was getting tired of having the car at the dealer nearly every month, nothing ever major, minor nit picky stuff, and the dealer would, on occasion, let me have his xlr! :thumbup:.
b. Wanted to try the 5-series.

Up here in Michigan, the snow didn't pose too much of a problem. Maybe one time when we got dumped on with 11" of the white stuff, the car stayed in the garage.
If I had owned it, I would have had blizzacks on it. With the lease I just used an SUV.

Also, they salt the heck out of the roads up here, so winter driving wasn't bad at all.

lastly, 1st year models tend to have more problems, the lansing built cadillacs especially.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts