BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, short ram technically.

I had never cleaned the stock filter thing (in 11 years :tsk:) and once i put in Raff's home made CAI and ghetto heatshield, i was amazed at the difference.

My car feels faster (placebo maybe?), it sounds a lot better, there is a whoooosh-ing noise above 4k rpm, and most of all, my MPG jumped!

On the way over to his house, my avg speed was 80.1mph (so about 3k rpm). My mpg was 21.2.

On the way back, after installing the short ram intake, my avg speed was 84 mph (still around 3k rpm). The MPG though, was 30.5!!!!!

Thats kind of a huge difference :yikes:

is this even possible? Im so confused, but very happy :bigpimp:

Pics later on.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
is it later yet ? post them up .. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Pics? WOuld your MPG actually go that much up?

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
yeah.. not cleaning the air filter would really hurt mpg's

·
I'm otay. You are not.
1,337 Posts
I'm thinking 21mpg running 80mph is horrible for an I6 (I get at least 28 with my 540). You might have gotten a dramatic improvement with a cleaning and new stock air filter. But I imagine the whooshing sound is badass! Ghetto heatshields FTW! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
once i put in Raff's home made CAI and ghetto heatshield, i was amazed at the difference.

My car feels faster (placebo maybe?), it sounds a lot better, there is a whoooosh-ing noise above 4k rpm, and most of all, my MPG jumped!

On the way over to his house, my avg speed was 80.1mph (so about 3k rpm). My mpg was 21.2.

On the way back, after installing the short ram intake, my avg speed was 84 mph (still around 3k rpm). The MPG though, was 30.5!!!!!

Pics later on.
If it really made that much of a difference, I'd be very happy too. :) But what's this homemade ghetto heatshield you speak of?

My mileage sucks lately - seems to have gone down and I'm not sure why. I just did a roundtrip to the Bay Area last weekend and my mileage was about the same on the road, but around town it seems to have dropped by 2 to 3 mpg. :yikes: Car runs great though, I always put premium gas in, and when I had the smog check done recently it passed with flying colors putting put out nearly zero emissions, so I would think that is a good indication all the emissions related parts are in good working order. It's getting close to time for its 60K mile Inspection II though and I think I'll go ahead and replace the plugs and pre-cat O2 sensors when I have that done and see if that helps. Otherwise, I dunno. :dunno:

Hey JJ, saw the pics you posted of Raff's car after you detailed it. Incredible. Forget my products. You clearly know what you're doing. :thumbup:

·
YOU ARE NEXT!
1,036 Posts
I use to have that air filter on my touring. On the FWY's on cruising speed (long distance driving) about 75mph to 80mph I was getting 27-29mpg. On 65-70mph I would hit 30-31mpg in steady traffic.
I can feel a bit off a difference now that it is not in my car, (less throttle response, mpg went down, and yes no growl under the hood. Note, yesterday was a pretty cold day... that is a big help to the car as well. My average mpg now is 23-25.5mpg. I really feel the stock air box has a lot of restriction.

Parts used.
Air Forced cone filter (used for off road trucks) made by the same filter companies. $55.00
Heat coated tube. (was used for a Maxima reason why I picked it, it was the same diameter size as the air meter) $15.00
Rubber sleeve. $5.00
3 metal clips from Home Depot. $.59 each.
Home made heat defector. (in my garage)

Here are some of the pics of the air filter I used before and now is on J.J's car. ALSO Big UPS to J.J. for detail my cars. (Touring and Benz) up next eDirty (e30).

I didn't use a regular small filter, this is a much bigger one that has a funnel in the top of the filter not closed off, so when install it is directly positioned where the air duct is on the side of the fender. Excuse the dirt filter top, these pics was taken while I was doing a filter cleaning recharge from K&N.

Just to show you guys how big this filter is.

Questions on the heat shield. I was just other part of a heat shield (air box cover) that I reused from my 96 Audi A4. I did not want it to suck in all the hot engine air, since that filter is super huge. I would be really robbing the car from some good power.
If you look at the picture below, you can see the home made shield, its a made out of plastic that is zipped tied in place. This helps deflect the heat away from the filter. It was cut out to fit under the hood.

Here is a link to more pics, that has a weekend project of clean the filter and painting the engine covers.
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/Der5er/Afternoon engine Project/

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Very creative. :thumbup:
I use to have that air filter on my touring. On the FWY's on cruising speed (long distance driving) about 75mph to 80mph I was getting 27-29mpg. On 65-70mph I would hit 30-31mpg in steady traffic.
I can feel a bit off a difference now that it is not in my car, (less throttle response, mpg went down, and yes no growl under the hood. Note, yesterday was a pretty cold day... that is a big help to the car as well. My average mpg now is 23-25.5mpg. I really feel the stock air box has a lot of restriction.

Parts used.
Air Forced cone filter (used for off road trucks) made by the same filter companies. $55.00
Heat coated tube. (was used for a Maxima reason why I picked it, it was the same diameter size as the air meter) $15.00
Rubber sleeve. $5.00
3 metal clips from Home Depot. $.59 each.
Home made heat defector. (in my garage)

Here are some of the pics of the air filter I used before and now is on J.J's car. ALSO Big UPS to J.J. for detail my cars. (Touring and Benz) up next eDirty (e30).

I didn't use a regular small filter, this is a much bigger one that has a funnel in the top of the filter not closed off, so when install it is directly positioned where the air duct is on the side of the fender. Excuse the dirt filter top, these pics was taken while I was doing a filter cleaning recharge from K&N.

Just to show you guys how big this filter is.

Questions on the heat shield. I was just other part of a heat shield (air box cover) that I reused from my 96 Audi A4. I did not want it to suck in all the hot engine air, since that filter is super huge. I would be really robbing the car from some good power.
If you look at the picture below, you can see the home made shield, its a made out of plastic that is zipped tied in place. This helps deflect the heat away from the filter. It was cut out to fit under the hood.

Here is a link to more pics, that has a weekend project of clean the filter and painting the engine covers.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Whats all that red stuff on the white pipe in the pic above?
Didn't change your air filter in 11 years and now getting better gas mileage
HMMMMM

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pics? WOuld your MPG actually go that much up?
I wouldn't have thought so, but apparently it does :D

I'm thinking 21mpg running 80mph is horrible for an I6 (I get at least 28 with my 540). You might have gotten a dramatic improvement with a cleaning and new stock air filter. But I imagine the whooshing sound is badass! Ghetto heatshields FTW! :thumbup:
Im going to see what kind of mileage i get going 65 later today haha.

If it really made that much of a difference, I'd be very happy too. :) But what's this homemade ghetto heatshield you speak of?

My mileage sucks lately - seems to have gone down and I'm not sure why. I just did a roundtrip to the Bay Area last weekend and my mileage was about the same on the road, but around town it seems to have dropped by 2 to 3 mpg. :yikes: Car runs great though, I always put premium gas in, and when I had the smog check done recently it passed with flying colors putting put out nearly zero emissions, so I would think that is a good indication all the emissions related parts are in good working order. It's getting close to time for its 60K mile Inspection II though and I think I'll go ahead and replace the plugs and pre-cat O2 sensors when I have that done and see if that helps. Otherwise, I dunno. :dunno:

Hey JJ, saw the pics you posted of Raff's car after you detailed it. Incredible. Forget my products. You clearly know what you're doing. :thumbup:
Thanks!

this is after 3 weeks :eeps:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1010689

Any intake above the foglight area is not a true CAI.
I said short ram intake in the OP. Im not sure people know what that is though, so i just called it CAI in the title :rofl:

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts

I had never cleaned the stock filter thing (in 11 years :tsk:) and once i put in Raff's home made CAI and ghetto heatshield, i was amazed at the difference.

Pics later on.
Oh please... like a kid. Your RAM intake will increase noise but, performance and MPG is placebo my friend, or it's because dirty air filter? :dunno:

·
Ivan
686 Posts

I am still lost, what is a CAI and ghetto heatshield??

were you driving uphill for low mileage yield and down hill for high yield?. On the other hand, the filter was surely very clogged and getting better mpg should have been expected.

11 years?, what year is your car???

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh please... like a kid. Your RAM intake will increase noise but, performance and MPG is placebo my friend, or it's because dirty air filter? :dunno:
im pretty sure that replacing the dirty filter was what made such a difference. i even alluded to that in the OP :dunno:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am still lost, what is a CAI and ghetto heatshield??

were you driving uphill for low mileage yield and down hill for high yield?. On the other hand, the filter was surely very clogged and getting better mpg should have been expected.

11 years?, what year is your car???
CAI is cold air intake (mine is short ram, but for some reason everyone around here calls it CAI, so i just used it). The ghetto heatshield is a plastic cover to keep the engine heat away from the cold(er) air around the filter. It was more uphill than downhill coming back (where i got higher mpg).

w00t :bigpimp:

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
What you don't see is that your going to ruin you maf with all that oil going through it from tha filter your using--I used the K&N filter's for a while--then I grew out of it---
they are bad mojo--wouldn't put one in a car ever again unless the car had a carb and not fuel injection.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts