BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
at the end of the day, it really makes a marginal difference SRI or CAI

most people do it for the sound rather than gains, but at the same time I think it increases more throttle response rather than power gains.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
I would think so too. Even though you could argue that you are taking in hotter air, with the restrictive piping in the stock intake I think the volume of the ram intake should make up for it being a bit warmer.
But if it's being fed by the same intake tube (plus the tiny cracks around the headlights), how much difference can it really make? Unless you modify the stock tubing at some point to keep it from restricting flow, it doesn't matter if you have the stock box, a cone filter, or a filter the size of the engine block, you still only get what comes through. The exception would be if the stock box is the most restrictive part. I would assume the most restrictive part is somewhere in the stock ducting, and not in the entrance to the box itself. Just a conjecture, and I know the most restrictive part was not the box on the E36.
at the end of the day, it really makes a marginal difference SRI or CAI
most people do it for the sound rather than gains, but at the same time I think it increases more throttle response rather than power gains.
Fully agreed. However, if you're gonna do something, you should do it right.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Take your readings with a (big) grain of salt. Keep in mind you were reading the black plastic surface, not the air itself. Anything black will tend to absorb heat, and the plastic itself will warm up and soak at stoplights. So your readings might be higher than what they actually were.
I agree with you there 100% A huge grain of salt in fact, as I was not taking temperature measurements of air, but items sitting within and outside the heatshield/airbox setup. I was merely showing that the heatshield method does work with lower temperature coming into AND surrounding the airbox within the heatshield, whereas phantom hinted that the heatshield would be useless. I think we can all conclude that while this method may not be an incredible improvement over the stock intake, it certainly works.

Agreed, you can only go as low as the ambient temp with a CAI. Taking measurements on a relatively warm day might provide much smaller contrasting numbers than one on a ~65 degree day.
I agree with this whole heartedly as well.

·
My name is Andy
666 Posts
I would really like to find some kind of kit where I can place remote sensors in my engine bay that read temp's on the road, while moving. Oh well.

·
brandon
428 Posts
CAI wars again......

Mack,
can we see your before and after dyno sheets again? You lost power with your mods...right?

JB,
you'll love the sound! I do :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
this thread is sooo long. glad everyone has so much to say about my new mod.... :D

and yea brandon, the sound is sick!

·
YOU ARE NEXT!
1,036 Posts
Ok, will chime in with some update....

Since taking the home made system RAM air system off my car and putting it on J.J's car. I have been driving with the stock air box for almost two week. The weather conditions have been at really hot then some rain and now back to warm weather. That two types of climate to observe.
My work is about 70-73 miles one way depending on which short cuts I take to work. So, back and forth I drive about 140 miles more or less.
From my two weeks of observation,
- My throttle response is lagged and not as quick.
- My gas mileage is now at the average of 24.5 to 25.5mpg at cruising FWY speeds/ before I can get near 29-30mpg FWY cruising speed (with no traffic).

I really wanted to find out if the system I put work for my long distance driving conditions.
For me the heat shield works, especially when coming into traffic. (NOTE I do have under drive pullies in the car and Plasma ignition coils and a full Supersprint Exhaust system).

What I liked about the filter that I used was it had an open full top, where air will be directly going through when placed by the fender port air hole. (when you are driving most of the cool are will come from the front and the underpart of the car, its pretty hard read the heat in the car when its at a stop.

I will be making another one with some small modifications.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
CAI wars again......

Mack,
can we see your before and after dyno sheets again? You lost power with your mods...right?

JB,
you'll love the sound! I do :D
HERE IS THE Thread of before and after. I still havent' changed anything but I did find out one thing that could have made a huge impact on the dyno. My DSC module was out during the 2nd dyno run. THe more I thought about it, the more I think it probably made quite a diff possibly/probably slipping throughout the dyno, which would explain the erratic-ness of the 2nd Dyno. I got it replaced since but haven't taken it back for dyno. I kinda want to get my vanos seals done too.

·
Registered
716 Posts
FYI. I'll let the pics do the talking here. Also, not sure if you guys know or not, but my 2002 and I'm assuming all facelifted E39's pull air in from plastic tubing down beside the fog light up to the intake box. From what I gather by comments here, the pre-facelifted years do not.

Enjoy

Temps inside CAI heatshield.

cai_temp1

cai_temp5

Temps outside heatshield.
cai_temp2

cai_temp3

cai_temp6

cai_temp7

cai_temp4
Those pictures do speak for themselves - once you notice the HOLD symbol on the CAI reading.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts