BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '95 automatic 325is pulls beautifully when it first starts up. I hardly have to push on the accelerator in order to make the RPM's shoot up to 5-6 and shift beautifully, giving me the desired speed I love. However, once the engine gets fully warmed up, I notice that the pull isn't so strong.

Now I'm not saying the engine is weak, but it just seems to shift more like a normal car as opposed to a speed racer.

This may be a stupid question, but will adding a Cold Air Intake system enable me to constantly have strong RPM pulls seeing that cold air is being brought into the engine instead of the warm air?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
No, not at all. It is getting cold air 100% of the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a stock air filter. If the car is already getting cold air from the stock, what is the point of a CAI?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Because it allows more air in.

Truthfully, you won't pick up much performance from from a CAI, but the sound is rewarding, and it gets a bit more responsive.

The cone intake has a much larger surface area than the stock airbox can pull in. Look at the stock airbox - it has a pipe going from it towards the front of the car, it curves around and goes over to the grill. Its pulling in only cold air. Just not a lot of it. The CAI sounds nicer and allows it to get more air - but they're both cold air intakes.

Also, until your engine is fully warmed up, you should NOT go above 3k. Period. Not good for the internals when its still cold, the engine oil hasn't gotten to optimum conditions, and neither have any of the other lubricants in your car.

To be honest, I'm a little confused about what the problem is though. Is it the power of the engine, the shifting of the transmission? Be a little more descriptive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts