BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Calaveras Road - Best Times ?

Southbound - AM Commute. From the stop signat the nursery at 680 / Sunol to stop sign at the Milpitas end at the top of the hill before the horse pens and the park.

18 minutes. '00 323CiC Sport/Step (and ESS Supercharger)

18 1/2 minutes. '86 911 Convertible

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Re: Calaveras Road - Best Times ?

pakoenig said:
Southbound - AM Commute. From the stop signat the nursery at 680 / Sunol to stop sign at the Milpitas end at the top of the hill before the horse pens and the park.

18 minutes. '00 323CiC Sport/Step (and ESS Supercharger)

18 1/2 minutes. '86 911 Convertible
I've never measured my time but I frequent that road. does the SC help you on that road? seems like it wouldn't help much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supercharger definitely helps

Based on the gearing I have with the Step, the road is mostly 2nd gear and mostly right in the supercharger's power band - 4000 to 6000 rpm. It's a noticable improvement !

And of course another factor is the new tires - Potenza S-03s. My Continentals lasted about 33,000 miles before the rear insides went to metal. The S-03s are much better.

I took it a bit easy today - 20 minutes. There was a nice Tobaz Blue 330CiC in front of me that was making good time. What's great about that drive is that it's always 30 minutes in the morning from freeway to freeway. Beats the heck out of going over the grade.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
ahh... step + SC. that sounds like a nice combo.

I drove palomeras over the weekend. nice road but the twisties aren't as tight as calaveras.

I probably drive through tere today. haven't left for work yet. :D

in case you haven't seen this (all of our local roads are listed):
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
by the way, I personally would measure the times using the points where I'm on the throttle and "trying." I drive pretty mellow outside of thes points.

start (southbound):
the end of the nursury at that curve where the speed limit drops from 50 to 25. there's a left turn there. I useually approach the area at the 25MPH speed limit because I've caught a few CHiPs hiding back there a few times.

end:
the big oak tree on the left side of the road just before you swing around to the right and pass someone's house on the right (the first house you see).

warning: I've seen dangerous wild animals on that road. ;) one time I saw a really mean jaguar S type.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts