BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jon or anyone know the approximate registration fees in CA on a new vehicle? I have estimated 2% of purchase price, but I have no idea if this is accurate or not.

Thanks,

·
Registered
738 Posts
SteveM said:
Jon or anyone know the approximate registration fees in CA on a new vehicle? I have estimated 2% of purchase price, but I have no idea if this is accurate or not.

Thanks,
If that is true, you are damn lucky. How about 7% like here in RI? :banghead:

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
The CA VLF was reduced by 67.5% from 2% to 0.65% a couple of years ago. From my June 02 sales contract, the VLF was $304, $5 for a CA tire fee, $45 doc prep fee, and of course another 8.25% worth of sales tax.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cliff3; that 0.65% agrees with what another website reported (not CA official). I tried to wade through the CA gov page and find it, but the fine print won and I gave up. :banghead:

I think that percentage only applies to the base price of the car too (options aren't taxed).

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
FYI Davis has been trying to pass legislation to raise registration fees back to what they were. I'm on dialup right now :eek: so I'm not about to search for links to articles that mention this, but I'm sure a Google search will bring up tons of hits. If you care you might want to write him a letter and tell him (paper being better than e-mail).

--SONET

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not any more fun looking that stuff up on a cable modem either :) :)

I don't like either of our choices for governor this time around :thumbdwn: .

I don't like the ramifications of AB1105 either.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact percentage right now.
We used to use 2% as the general rule of thumb, but
it is indeed much less than that now. I just plugged
a $10K selling price into my deal computer, and the
resulting license fee was exactly $110.00.
There is a base charge of $96, as well as an additional
$14.00 fee added. This addition $14 fee is a "flat" amount,
charged regardless of actual selling price...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts