Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPS dropped it off yesterday, so I took advantage of the nice weather to get in a wash and try out my new drying tool. In the past, I let a stream of water come out of the hose to sheet most of the water off the car. I'm thinking maybe that isn't what to do if you want to use the water blade? I freaked out a little bit after hearing the screeching sound it made going over a surface with dry spots. I wasn't overly happy with the result, but I'm thinking it's "user error". Any suggestions from other water blade users? Was trying to sheet the water off not the best idea? Is it better to actually have a really wet surface instead of puddle here and there? Seems like it. Dry water blade + dry car = scary sound! :yikes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
It does make a truly terrifying sound. I use mine on the wet car. If you are sheeting off with the hose, I'm not sure the CWB will help much. I'd just do one or the other. Even after using the water blade I have to clean up with the drying towel - I just use the blade for 80-90% of the water.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Water Blade:

The best-known US brand the Original California Water Blade (equivalent UK Autoglym Hydra-Blade) is made of medical-grade silicone so it should not scratch. It can be used to remove water after washing the vehicle without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure with the blade, wiping with long strokes in one direction only.

If there is any grit left on the car after washing, the blade may pick it up and drag it across the paint, much the same as a towel would, this can be avoided by wiping the blade with a clean damp towel after every pass.
The water blade should be protected when not in use. If it is crushed in storage, the edge may take a set and leave a stripe of water on the car, the water blade comes with a protective plastic case, use it for blade storage.

Like any tool, the water blade does require a little bit of technique and practice. The first few times I used mine, it tended to chatter on the surface, resulting in incomplete drying. It turns out this is eliminated by using just the right angle and pressure on the blade. Smoothness can also be affected by the surface condition of the paint (wax, sealant oxidation, etc.) and any coating that might be on the water blade itself.

Caution: do not use a water blade to remove rainwater as there could be road grit on the paint surface or the rain may contain impurities that could scratch the paint.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've used a Water Blade for over a year and haven't seen any evidence of scratches whatsoever. From time to time it can make a screech, but there isn't any consequence. You end up with a much better job of drying your car by removing almost all of the water and then touching up with a towel.

Enjoy it.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
Just be damed careful you don't imbed any contaminant (grit, sand, etc) in the blade because that's a very fast way to put a nice long scratch on the car.

I use the CWB and have for 4 years, but am very protective of where the blade goes (never on the ground, etc). I also wash it carefully before each use. You also have to be careful to not to bang the handle against the car or you'll need to break out the PC for some polishing repair.

I also have a nice big waffle-weave MF towel to get what the CWB leaves behind. Makes drying the car a snap.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I just ordered the blade today based on the recommendations here, so I'll see how it goes. I washed my new e90 for the 1st time yesterday and the water spots were h*%l. :mad:

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
Calif65GM said:
I just ordered the blade today based on the recommendations here, so I'll see how it goes. I washed my new e90 for the 1st time yesterday and the water spots were h*%l. :mad:
You can try using a quick detailer (like Zaino Z6 or Z8) to get rid of water spots.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I had never owned a black car until now and didn't realize how obvious water spots are and how quickly they end up drying.... bummer considering it was only about 50 degrees when i washed my car, can't imagine when it's summer!

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Highly recommended solution to that. Get some deionized water. After washing the car, simply pour a bucket or two of the stuff over the car. It washes off the tap water and you can leisurely dry the car without *any* streaks. And I mean *any*. Its a godsend. Pure water. I go to a local fish place and fill 3 five gallen jugs. Usually only need one jug to fully rinse the car. Dont even need to do it multiple times. You'll see the difference in how the water beads up immediately.

As for the California Blade...

I tried this thing today for the first time, and despite finding multiple angles and pressures ... it made some pretty embarrasing noises that even my neighbors were irritated by. It makes this sound 90% of the time. I eventually gave up and put it away. Does it help to wet the blade down first? The noise is unbearably annoying.

-N-

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
Nevervana said:
As for the California Blade...

I tried this thing today for the first time, and despite finding multiple angles and pressures ... it made some pretty embarrasing noises that even my neighbors were irritated by. It makes this sound 90% of the time. I eventually gave up and put it away. Does it help to wet the blade down first? The noise is unbearably annoying.

-N-
I think it's just a matter of breaking it in. I use mine all the time & it makes hardly any noise.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Yeah its probably a little stiff and whatnot ... ill soak it good beforehand and see if it continues.

-N-

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just washed today and used it for the second time. Went much better this time. Just make sure every "stroke" you take is on a new section of the car that is wet. Avoid going over the same spots because it really only makes the noise when it's going against a dry surface. And like mentioned earlier, don't sheet water over when rinsing. Used a shower type spray so it's nice and wet. The only noise you should get is a slushy swishing sound.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
SteveT said:
I've used a Water Blade for over a year and haven't seen any evidence of scratches whatsoever. From time to time it can make a screech, but there isn't any consequence. You end up with a much better job of drying your car by removing almost all of the water and then touching up with a towel.

Enjoy it.
Ditto. Used it for years, I've never seen it induce any scratches or swirling. After all, its made from surgical rubber.

The sound it makes on paint, usually a sign that you don't have enough wax on the car. The less sound it makes, the better the wax protection is, at least thats been my experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts