BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay well i JUST got basically got a 1986 325is..stroker. it has a ton of power, but not the fuel economy im looking for. we built it for performance..not economy :( ive had it for honestly like..2 months.at the most. so, i need to sell it to get something with better gas mileage. with gas prices never ending..i thought an e36 318i would get the job done..well, better than what im getting. so even if you have a 325i or a 328i..preferably a 318i since they get better gas mileage (4 banger)..could you tell me your real time mpg? thanks in advanced guys. im hoping to be part of the e36 club pretty soon since ive owned 2 e30s so far..

·
Registered
423 Posts
that sucks you gota sell it so soon.

my 328i stock is gettn about 20-25 mpg with mostly city-like driving.

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sucks you gota sell it so soon.

my 328i stock is gettn about 20-25 mpg with mostly city-like driving.
yeah, same here dude. its wicked fast..lol. and thanks..is yours an auto or 5 speed? mines a 5 speed so ill be looking for another one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got a 318is here in london and have just driven to poland in in, my now destination til end of june. That was 1100 miles and i was getting 48 miles per gallon thats with the motorway in germany average speed i was doing was 80-90 miles an hour and the crap roads in poland where speed limit is abour an average 50 miles per hour. i reset it to see my miles per gallon just on polish roads and including driving up a steep hill where you have to use 2nd gear and high revs (just to get to the house every day i take the car out )to even make it up im averaging 38 miles to the gallon so im pretty happy :)

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Check this thread below, it will have all you need. Bare in mind the difference between UK MPG and US MPG, and take into account completely inaccurate info like the above getting 38 MPG in urban low gear driving...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273754

The best thing you can do is forget opinions and check the fuel consumption data (from car websites or official manufacturers' data) for the cars you are interested in. The standardised figures will tell you all you need to know, even if you don't drive in the same way to how they are calculated, it'll show you how proportionally better one car is to another.

No wonder your E30 is bad on fuel, only 2 valves per cylinder! You want VANOS and 4 valves per cylinder if you want good fuel mileage.

·
Registered
202 Posts
hi i have 318is i find my mpg about 25-28 . i is not greedy on gas i put 20 pounds in and it last a week to& back from work . 95 to 100 miles depending on road works

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check this thread below, it will have all you need. Bare in mind the difference between UK MPG and US MPG, and take into account completely inaccurate info like the above getting 38 MPG in urban low gear driving...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273754

The best thing you can do is forget opinions and check the fuel consumption data (from car websites or official manufacturers' data) for the cars you are interested in. The standardised figures will tell you all you need to know, even if you don't drive in the same way to how they are calculated, it'll show you how proportionally better one car is to another.

No wonder your E30 is bad on fuel, only 2 valves per cylinder! You want VANOS and 4 valves per cylinder if you want good fuel mileage.
youre like a bimmerfest god. thanks dude lol. and i see you have a 318i..how do you like it? and yeah.. its pretty bad. but we built it for performance, not good gas mileage. with the larger injectors and being a stroker and all..it drinks gas like theres no tomorrow. but MAN does it haul :D:D

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
95 318i convertable 5spd, city- 25-28mpg highway almost 42 mpg. 4 banger is def the way to go for saving gas.
wow. I really need a 318i now. I love those numbers you came up with lol

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
youre like a bimmerfest god. thanks dude lol. and i see you have a 318i..how do you like it? and yeah.. its pretty bad. but we built it for performance, not good gas mileage. with the larger injectors and being a stroker and all..it drinks gas like theres no tomorrow. but MAN does it haul :D:D
Yeah, it handles well and that's important, but acceleration isn't good. Fuel economy is okay! It only has 115 HP, not 140 like the US 318i cars. So it's slower, but I'll fully enjoy it until I can afford something else when I get a job! In the meantime I'm happy! For everyday driving it's okay, but I like to drive pretty quickly so it does limit me.

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it handles well and that's important, but acceleration isn't good. Fuel economy is okay! It only has 115 HP, not 140 like the US 318i cars. So it's slower, but I'll fully enjoy it until I can afford something else when I get a job! In the meantime I'm happy! For everyday driving it's okay, but I like to drive pretty quickly so it does limit me.
oh..hah i thought you lived in the US. i just glanced and saw LA..lol my bad. and yeah, i hear you on the acceleration. my i beat my friends volvo s60 on the freeway in my e30. i love going fast..but i cant afford it anymore haha. and so since i know that the US 318i isnt all that fast..i wont be tempted to make it any faster. ill just update the appearence on the outside. but thats good that youre happy. its all that matters..right? :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
When i had the m44 installed, the 36 compact got 31 city, 35 highway. With the m50 installed, i get about 25 city, 28 highway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
:thumbup:HI I HAVE A 319I AND I AM GETTING THE SAME ABOUT 25-28 BUT I DO GO FAST I AM ON THE [GAS] AS YOU SAY ALL THE TIME SO ITS NOT TO BAD....:rofl:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Debs, turn off caps lock.

E30, dude, think about it. It's like $400 different per year in gas. Big fricking whoop. Keep the fun car.

·
2009 335i M sport
241 Posts
What about a 325i with a manual tranny? I got good gas mileage on my 02 Ci I would welcome the return of the 318i/320i here in the states It cost me $63 to fill up my 328i last week. Maybe BMW should bring over the 320d, once it has it's premature turbo failures sorted..

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
I had a 94 325is 5 spd, mileage varied a lot.
Doing exactly 70 MPH over 490 miles got me 30.4 MPG.
Doing avg 95 MPH over 470 miles got me about 24.5 MPG.
City driving, 18-20ish.
City 65%/Fwy 35% got me about 22ish.

Sadly, it cost me $82.50 to fill up the E39 last week. :(
I'm glad I'm not driving my parents cars....dad's E38 and mom's Silhouette minivan both took a few bucks shy of $100!!! Yikes! :yikes:

·
Registered
512 Posts
E30, dude, think about it. It's like $400 different per year in gas. Big fricking whoop. Keep the fun car.
+1

who cares, for the difference in fuel, ur saving so little id rather pay the extra bloody few dollars and have the fun and the sound ;)

·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Debs, turn off caps lock.

yeah but since it is such a fast car, I'm always tempted to go fast. I hate when ricers pull up to me at a stop light or just on the freeway. I dont like when they get "the last word" persay. Its all cars from those hondas, to audis, to lexus, to huge lifted trucks who try running me off the road to other bmws lol. And so since a 318 isn't fast, I won't be tempted to make it faster..or prove to others that it is, even though its not. I'm still debating on my e30 and an e36.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts