BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So, I just bought a very nice '02 325xi yesterday. My very firstest Bimmer. I'm enjoying it, but tonight just after starting up the Service Engine Soon light went on. Sure enough, the gas cap was barely attached (looks like whoever topped it up at the dealer didn't tighten it). I think I probably had about 2-3 hours of driving with it loose. I tightened it back up, but the SES light hasn't gone off (it's been about 7 miles and two starts since) yet. Should it have?

I'm going to take it up to Autozone in the morning to have them check what the error is, but in case it's not an error their generic reader will be able to see, is there anyone in the Mountain View/San Jose/Palo Alto area with a bimmer code reader who would be willing to lend it to me long enough to read the codes out tomorrow morning? I'll bring you a sixpack of something nice...

I'd be more whatever about time, but I have a contract cancellation clause where I can give the car back that ends at 2pm tomorrow...though, I'd rather keep this car... :rolleyes:

Thanks folks!

-Leander

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Probably a good idea to get the codes read given your situation. They will be able to see what tripped it, if any are stored, and reset for you.

FYI, the gas cap tripping the light is common and takes more than a couple starts for it to reset itself.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Did you erase the code? I'm pretty sure the car stores the code and the SES won't go off on its own until the code's erased.

Autozone won't read codes in CA -- against the law, since all the repair shops lobbied the state to make reading codes constitute "repair work" for which a supply house like Autozone isn't licensed to perform. Might find a nice mechanic to do it for free, or, since you bought a 2002 BMW, it's worth it to just buy the cheapest Autozone code reader (like $60 or so) and read it yourself.

I hate my state.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Did you erase the code? I'm pretty sure the car stores the code and the SES won't go off on its own until the code's erased.
The code thrown for the fuel filler cap does in fact reset itself after several restarts of the car. The number of restarts necessary seems to vary, depending on what, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The code thrown for the fuel filler cap does in fact reset itself after several restarts of the car. The number of restarts necessary seems to vary, depending on what, I'm not sure.
Good to know. I learn something new every day. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CA and reading OBD codes as "repair work": wow. We laugh at the Romans for poisioning themselves with lead pipes. Some future civilization is going to look back and laugh at us for killing ourselves with stupid laws.

Anyway, I just went and shelled out for a basic OBD2 reader. I've got an aging civic as well, so it seemed like a good investment. Turns out I had P0442 (evap emissions pressure - ie, "gas cap is off dumbass") and P1515. I'm finding conflicting stuff about P1515 - it's either some kind of secondary air system fail, or the electronic throttle position sensor. Is there a definitive reference for the E46 somewhere?

I erased the codes, and the SES light hasn't come back yet, but I'd like to know what's going on...

Thanks again...this is a cool community.

-L

1 - 7 of 7 Posts