BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am deciding between Callisto Grey and Dark Graphite for the exterior color for 535i with luxury line and am thinking going with the lighter interior -- White nappa/black dashboard. It should go into production pretty soon. While there isn't any inventory with this combination on the dealer lot and moreover the dealer inventory for 2014 F10's is pretty low - I was looking to get some first hand opinions from the community on the same. :)

Could you enlighten me on some of the aspects on this? This would be by first BMW and I want to make sure I am not gonna regret the decision. Do post replies soon as I need to finalize this over the next day before it hits production. Looks like my dealer says I probably just have 2 more days before it moves into production.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a space gray X5 and have seen it on the f10. It's a great all around color. Hides dirt pretty well and is elegant and understated. I've also seen Dark Graphite metallic and it was my second choice when I ordered my 535d. It just sparkles in the sun like no other color in the lineup, save some individual options.

I have not seen callisto gray, but it looks like it's somewhere in between.

My half-knowledgable opinion would be go with dark graphite. It's a great color. Hopefully someone else with full knowledge can be more helpful!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm pretty biased cause I have dark grey metallic and I've noticed that it's the best grey around. It sparkles and catches attention. Only other grey I like is mineral grey but they don't make it on the F10.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
I have a Space Gray 2013 535i and I am currently configuring a 2014 535d.

As a previous poster mentioned, Space Gray is very attractive color in the 535 line, though maybe a little too popular, if you're interested in standing out from the crowd. As is the case with several other 535 colors, Space Gray seems to change tone a bit, depending on the lighting, a nice feature of it. (My wife, otoh, considers Space Gray a bit...common, "just another gray car.")

I've seen Callisto Gray on a 535 currently on my dealer's lot. It's darker, almost a cross between gray and brown, imo. Obviously, color preferences are very personal, but it does not appeal to me.

As I complete the configuration of my 535d, I am leaning heavily toward Carbon Black, though I'm sorely tempted by Dark Graphite. The problem is that I cannot eyeball anything in Dark Graphite. These photos helped me, though, and they may help you:

Dark Graphite: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9719793940/in/set-72157635489272663/

Space Gray: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728314

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,001 Posts
I have a space gray X5 and have seen it on the f10. It's a great all around color. Hides dirt pretty well and is elegant and understated. I've also seen Dark Graphite metallic and it was my second choice when I ordered my 535d. It just sparkles in the sun like no other color in the lineup, save some individual options.
Some people rave over Dark Graphite. I've been looking at my dealer's inventory lately, trying to spot a Mocha interior. While there, I've seen several Graphites up close and in direct sun. To me, it doesn't provide much "sparkle in the sun like no other", but that's my opinion. For a metallic color, it's pretty flat looking to me, even in direct lighting. Compared with my Black Sapphire, with multi-color metallic flake, the Graphite doesn't do a lot for me from a metallic point of view. It is a sophisticated, dark tone, which usually suits the F10 nicely. Take a look at Imperial Blue if you want something a little more exciting maybe, and in sunlight, it's very nicely lit and sparkly. In indirect lighting, it is quite a bit darker, you have to see it in several different lighting conditions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Some people rave over Dark Graphite. I've been looking at my dealer's inventory lately, trying to spot a Mocha interior. While there, I've seen several Graphites up close and in direct sun. To me, it doesn't provide much "sparkle in the sun like no other", but that's my opinion. For a metallic color, it's pretty flat looking to me, even in direct lighting. Compared with my Black Sapphire, with multi-color metallic flake, the Graphite doesn't do a lot for me from a metallic point of view. It is a sophisticated, dark tone, which usually suits the F10 nicely. Take a look at Imperial Blue if you want something a little more exciting maybe, and in sunlight, it's very nicely lit and sparkly. In indirect lighting, it is quite a bit darker, you have to see it in several different lighting conditions.
I'm not sure if you have been looking at dark graphite on MY2013 or MY2014, but there is a pretty big difference between the two. If I recall correctly, 2013 has dark graphite II (B90) whereas 2014 now offers the original dark graphite (A90) which hasn't been available for several years. I find there to be much more sparkle in the A90 paint when compared to B90 and would implore anyone considering the colour to try and see it in person -- I think it's great -- but I am biased as I ore feted my LCI 550 M Sport in dark graphite with mocha interior and fineline anthracite trim and should be picking it up this week!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Any opinions on if mocha interiors with either the DG or Space or Callisto grey. I have not seen any cars with the Mocha interiors first hand -- just all pictures so far, and pictures do not seem to do justice. I saw the ivory white with DG which seems pretty cool. Let me know what you folks think on the Mocha interiors and what exteriors that they might go well with.

·
Registered
102 Posts
MY2013 has DGM II, which is flat.
MY2014 has DGM I, which has a lot of sparkles.

Look at the front, you can see the metallic sparkles. this is NOT EDIT, straight raw from the camera unlike other pictures you see.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,001 Posts
MY2013 has DGM II, which is flat.
MY2014 has DGM I, which has a lot of sparkles.
Look at the front, you can see the metallic sparkles. this is NOT EDIT, straight raw from the camera unlike other pictures you see.
There were 2013's and 2014's on the lot when I was looking. It could be that it was a 2013, but I recall the sticker stated "Dark Graphite", there was no "II" on the sticker. Then if your picture is accurate, I would say there is a huge difference between original DG and DGII. I'll have to look again next time I'm there. I looked at it very carefully in direct sun, and of course, there was metallic flake evident, but nothing at all "spectacular". Now, Individual Azurite Black, yes, that's what I'm planning for my 2014 replacement F10. Now that's a spectacular color!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not sure if you have been looking at dark graphite on MY2013 or MY2014, but there is a pretty big difference between the two. If I recall correctly, 2013 has dark graphite II (B90) whereas 2014 now offers the original dark graphite (A90) which hasn't been available for several years. I find there to be much more sparkle in the A90 paint when compared to B90 and would implore anyone considering the colour to try and see it in person -- I think it's great -- but I am biased as I ore feted my LCI 550 M Sport in dark graphite with mocha interior and fineline anthracite trim and should be picking it up this week!
Hey Snarry,

Getting close eh? Bet you are excited! Would love to see you post some pics when you get it as my incoming LCI 550i is set up just like yours (DGM/Mocha/Anthracite). Are you getting M Sport?

Congratulations (and let's see some pics)!

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Out of Callisto and Dark Graphite, I would choose Dark Graphite. However I would also consider Champagne Quartz which I think is a very nice grey and would pair well with the Ivory Nappa.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a dark graphite on my MY 2012 500xi and I love it. I own a Black X5 (Sparkling) and while it is true that you can see much more of the sparkles, I can't say that I care much for it. The graphite really is two colors in one - a gray in sunlight, a black in the night and sometimes even a hint of bluish-gray when the light catches it just right under a blue sky....

They're both hard to keep clean, mind you....so titanium grey does look appealing every now and then...

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
I have a 2013 Dark Graphite Metallic with the Oyster/Black interior, so similar to one of the options you're looking at. I like it a lot, although I have to say that the combination looks more "luxury" and less "sport" and might seem an odd choice for an M-Sport model. Nice though.

Couple shots:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system
Here's the sparkle in DGM I

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,001 Posts
View attachment 403321
Here's the sparkle in DGM I
That looks NOTHING like the DG I saw at my dealer's in full sun. That sample looks more like an Individual paint color, are you sure it's DG? I've seen plenty of DG F10's driving around and I've never seen one light up light your sample. Maybe I've always been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
That looks NOTHING like the DG I saw at my dealer's in full sun. That sample looks more like an Individual paint color, are you sure it's DG? I've seen plenty of DG F10's driving around and I've never seen one light up light your sample. Maybe I've always been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
That's what my old DG I (A90 paint code) looked like.

A LOT of color to it.

·
Fastpaddler
950 Posts
I had dark graphite in my previous BMW: 325i. I never tired of the colour and it didn't show the dirt like my 528i in Imperial Blue shows everything! As for interior leather I would not choose "white" which is hard to keep clean. Happy shopping.
Al

1 - 20 of 27 Posts