BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my next dilemma. I have had a constant knock and tick to my engine and also have a thread going about loud engine at start-up. Yesterday I changed my oil filter to a mann and my engine all of a sudden sounds worse. The ticking and knocking is louder and it has acquired another sound that sounds more like spitting air and more rocks in a can. I used the screw driver method and placed it near the front of my valve covers and realized the noise is definitely comming from within that area. It sounds like the chain is banging against the cover. I recently changed the timing chain tensioner and now have been told I should immediately change the cam chain tensioner before I thrash my rails and have a real problem on my hands.What I wasn't told was whether or not I should do the lower or the top. I figure I might as well go about changing this since most if the research I've done seems to point in the direction of changing it out but what I cant find is a DIY on how to do this. Can anyone help?PLEASE? Also I figured while I'm at it I would work on the vanos but I am lost as to what I should do exactly. I've been given a lot of constructive advice, but no one has said what I should do to the vanos, all except for a very detailed suggestion that I change the sprockets (which advice I am going to take). All help and suggestions appreciated. Thaks again everyone

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
The only way you are going to know jack is to pull the valve cover off. Assuming you do have a bad tensioner that has eaten your guide rails you are in better shape than the 540 engine because you can get to the assembly from the front of the engine. Still a lot of work but doable. I think you will have to drop the pan too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.