BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dropping the lower end of an e21 motor into an '85 318i body. As only the heads are different (injectors through the manifold), can the guts of the e21 head be transferred over to the 318i head (valves, springs, etc.)?

Also, most importantly, does the cam in the e21 rotate the same direction as the 318i cam?

Thanks,

StoneCold

·
Registered
4 Posts
cam rotation

I'm not sure about an 85 but I can share this with you. I have a 83 e21 that has 2.0 motor in it . The 2.0 heads have the distributor rotating in the opposite direction of the 1.8 heads. This is because of the gear on the end of the camshaft. The 1.8 had electronic ignition. You can get the car to run with the dist rotating in the opposite direction ( but swapping two wires( I forget which ones ) but there is no mechanical advance.

I've found this out the hard way but purchasing a car that had this done to it. The 318 and 320 cams are the same, it's just the gear on the end.

Alan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.