BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Will work for track time.
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the my last post regarding mounting a camcorder on my car for track events, I decided to design one myself and have my machine shop make it for me.

It is much simpler than the one they sell for $140.

I got the mini ball head from B&H Photovideo for $35 shipped.

The machine part = a bottle of Johnny Walker for the machine shop I always use for my work.

pics:

http://members.roadfly.com/ptsao/cambrkft.jpg

http://members.roadfly.com/ptsao/cambrkbk.jpg

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
pt00323i said:
After the my last post regarding mounting a camcorder on my car for track events, I decided to design one myself and have my machine shop make it for me.

It is much simpler than the one they sell for $140.

I got the mini ball head from B&H Photovideo for $35 shipped.

The machine part = a bottle of Johnny Walter for the machine shop I always use for my work.

pics:

http://members.roadfly.com/ptsao/cambrkft.jpg

http://members.roadfly.com/ptsao/cambrkbk.jpg
Very cool! :thumbup:

Could you post some pictures that are a bit tighter on the bar and mount? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
awesome job, I look forward to see your next self designed item as well. keep up the great work:thumbup:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Very nice job on the camera mount. :thumbup:

I'm looking to build a custom bracket to mount a 10.4" LCD TV in my trunk for shows. I was thinking of mimicking the design of a desk lamp, so it would look similiar to this.
It would be a "V" design.

I want it to be able to swivel and also tuck away when not in use. The TV would be removed after shows and put in my room.

I wonder if I can pick up the required pieces at Home Depot.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I design it myself, and I reduced the height by 1" and used Stainless steel, heavier, will not tarnsh and will not transfer heat or cold as fast as Al.

I didn't see this one when I was looking for it, my machine shop only charged me $80, then decided not accepting my check since we are good friends.

The closest one was UUC's, but is not short enough for me.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
108 Posts
Last year at one of the gatherings here in SF I did saw one M3 with small video camera that was mounted on one of the middle babe seat belt hook on the rear hat shelf ---btw it was preety good looking .
It is not so hard to custom build one by using the removable part that have screw from the top of some camera tripod .

Attachments

·
e46/f30/e90M3fanatic
516 Posts
since we're on the subject of camcorder...

what do you people recommend?
i've never owned a camcorder but always wanted one

i have a bunch of 35mm cameras and 2 digital cameras (one will be going up on ebay soon)
now i want a camcorder... most likely a mini-DV ...

so.. throw out any suggestions?
and i'd want to mount it on my car as well...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Depends on your price range, but definitely check out Canon's ZR line (45,50), I prefer Optical stabilization rather than digital. If you want nightshot (shooting under complete darkness) then you are pretty much stuck with Sony (I like the PC-101, small but fully featured). Don't buy in to that camcorder/digital camera combo, I haven't seen one that produces a decent digital pic.

Jeff

XKxRome0ox said:
since we're on the subject of camcorder...

what do you people recommend?
i've never owned a camcorder but always wanted one

i have a bunch of 35mm cameras and 2 digital cameras (one will be going up on ebay soon)
now i want a camcorder... most likely a mini-DV ...

so.. throw out any suggestions?
and i'd want to mount it on my car as well...

·
e46/f30/e90M3fanatic
516 Posts
oh... forgot to mention... smaller the better... cheaper the better... and easier to use the better...

i'd want to carry this camcorder around almost as much as carrying my digital camera around

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
That camera mount is very nice. Any issues with the SCCA and camera mounts that any of you know about? I'd love to get (or make) one, would probably mount it passenger-side though.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't check on that, the camera mount I have can be mounted on either side.

I think SCCA might be worried that the camera might fly off or your helmet hitting the bracket/camera mount during an accident.

But isn't that the reason we wear helmets?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes you have yours mounted on the driver's seat which looks much safer. I see a lot of them mounted on the passenger seat with the end of the bracket pointed towards the drivers seat, which does NOT look safe at all. I would not want my head (helmeted or not) skewered on the end of a 1" steel bar.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I've also seen other camera mounts (on roll cage), they always mount them right behind the driver's helmet. I think the picture angle from there is better also.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
pt00323i said:
I haven't check on that, the camera mount I have can be mounted on either side.

I think SCCA might be worried that the camera might fly off or your helmet hitting the bracket/camera mount during an accident.

But isn't that the reason we wear helmets?
They're more worried about things obstructing your feet and/or the pedals, as well as distractions from things flying around. Hence why you have to remove your floormat and any loose items in the car. I imagine the camera mount would be secure enough for the "ok" from the tech inspection guys.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
pt00323i said:
Yes, I've also seen other camera mounts (on roll cage), they always mount them right behind the driver's helmet. I think the picture angle from there is better also.
Makes sense I guess, you can see the dash. I'll have to reconsider my passenger-side mounting plan. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts