BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Will work for track time.
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you looked into a camera mount/brace for inside of your E36/46 so you can tape your track events?

I know they sell them for Porsche 911's.

any ideas?

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
I'd like to find something as well. it would be fun to film a run through calaveras road. a buddy of mine filmed me going through there last week in the miata. he has a z06 and there's a kit to mount a camera on his seat belt harness bar. I'm personally not aware of such a bar for the e46 but they may exist.

I had the idea of making a rigid tripod type of thing. the front legs could leverage the outer rear seat track mounting bolts of the front seats. removing the rear seat cushion would uncover the seatbelt mounting bolts which you could leverage as well for a rear leg.

I might buy this bar for the miata:
http://www.flyinmiata.com/store/images/13-70000.JPG

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
I have seen some of the advertisers in Roundel who sell camera mounts for use on E46 harness bars. I have one that mounts on the rear headrest bars (I have to remove the cushion) - it vibrates quite a bit, but I am sure it is because my camera is 10+ years old and does not have a good shock-dampening system. I will try someone else's newer camera some day to see if it makes a difference. I used the mount at 4 different track events and autocrosses, but got sick of it after that. I had no patience to sit and watch my track sessions all over again.

I am sure you can make a good and inexpensive one by getting a nice, vibration-dampening camera mount from a camera store and somehow mounting it on or under the rear shelf, if you have the folding seats.

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
Speedmount $139!!! WoW!

Built the same thing with a square tube of aluminum, and a few bolts from the store. Skipped the fancy camera mount by cutting a pice of PVC pipe at the right angle and put it under the camera bolting it in place. To adjust the camera, you use the controls on the seat to raise or tilt the back.

Total cost about $5. Time about an hour.

BTW, it does not jitter when bolted to the seat, but when the windows are down during an AutoX, it does pick up a lot of wind noise.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
:thumbdwn: on Speedmount. I went thru this same dilemma months ago and wound up building my own mount with materials attainable at your local camera shop and Home Depot. Grand total came to about $35. I get a much better shot when it's mounted on the drivers' side headrest posts. Here are some pix:

And here is a video:

Video

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
I went the aluminum tube bar route. Measured the distance between the headrest posts, drilled carefully with a 1/2" bit, made the holes a tad bit larger with a Dremel tool and then put rubber grommits in the four holes. I "reclaimed" a lighting clamp from my uncle which bolts the camera to the bar (but I think I will eventually replace with a ball head to allow a greater range of positioning freedom). I've done some tests over some very bumpy turns and with my MiniDV camera's IS the image is essentially vibrtation free. I still need to trim the aluminum tube to size (it's way too long right now) and add a backup tether strap. If anyone wants to see pics, let me know.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Chris330ci said:
:thumbdwn: on Speedmount. I went thru this same dilemma months ago and wound up building my own mount with materials attainable at your local camera shop and Home Depot. Grand total came to about $35. I get a much better shot when it's mounted on the drivers' side headrest posts.
nice! I think I'll build one just like that before my next DE... cool!

--Andrew

·
Will work for track time.
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys are awsome:thumbup:

I'm going to do this for my next rack events, now back to Home Depo and camera shop.

thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.