Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I’m gonna be turning to random people on the internet for help. 2011 335i N55. Car sounds cammed. Changed my spark plugs (gapped correctly), all new coils, just replaced my valve cover gasket, valve cover, ofhg, and cam shaft positioning sensor due to code P054B. Everything is torqued to spec and everything was done correctly. I already checked for vacuum leaks. No smoke is coming from the exhaust either. Only thing I can think of is bad gas since the car has been sitting for 2-3 months but I’m skeptical. Any ideas as to what else I’ll need to replace before lighting this **** on fire? Car is still throwing that code after just replacing. I tried clearing codes but no luck. Anyone else ever experienced this bizarre issue after all of said maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the last 7 of your VIN?

Oil level / condition?

Have you pulled the VANOS solenoid and cleaned them?

I have not just because the only code was that P054B so I didn’t think to do it. I just changed my oil not even 100 miles ago so oil level is just below max and it’s in good condition. When I pulled the valve cover there was no trace of sludge build up anywhere. Liqui-molly has been used to change the oil ever 3-5k miles as long as I’ve owned the car. Owned it since 42k miles and it sits at 74k right now. I’m currently removing all of the fuel out of the tank to see if maybe the fuel went bad since it sat for about 3 months without being driven.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why are you thinking fuel? The code your getting is Cold Start 'B' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarted (Bank 1) right?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fault description
The diagnostic function monitors adjustment of the exhaust camshaft during the catalytic converters warm-up phase.

Condition for fault identification
Voltage condition:
- On-board electrical system voltage between 9 V and 16 V
Temperature condition:
- Engine cold start to ensure that catalyst heater is active.

Other conditions:
- Engine ON

The fault is recognized when the camshaft cannot be adjusted to the specified position.
Potential problem source(s):
- Contaminated oil passage at VANOS solenoid valve
- Oil pressure too low
- Defective wires or plug terminals on VANOS solenoid valve
- VANOS solenoid valve seized
- VANOS solenoid valve defective

Condition for fault memory entry
The diagnostic fault code is logged when the fault remains present for longer than 1 min.

Action in service
- Check oil level, change engine oil and filter as indicated
- If faults related to the camshaft position sensor have been logged, repair these first
- Check wiring harness between VANOS solenoid valve and DME
- Perform system test
- Check camshaft and VANOS unit for freedom of movement and mechanical damage
- Clean VANOS solenoid valve, replace as required

Fault effect and breakdown warning
Breakdown notice:
The engine reverts to its emergency limp-home program, continued vehicle operation is possible, because power is reduced the driver should refrain from passing maneuvers.

Possible apparent symptoms:
- Engine runs poorly

Driver information
- ECE emissions warning lamp: on
- ECE electronic engine power reduction: on
- CC message: on
- US emissions warning lamp: on
- US electronic engine power reduction: on
- CC message: on

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you thinking fuel? The code your getting is Cold Start 'B' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarted (Bank 1) right?

It’s the only other thing that could be bad that I can think of. It didn’t occur to me that it could also be Vanos solenoids. I’ll try that out before thinking something more expensive is wrong. Thank you for your help. Do some more research to see if I can find the cause of the issue before I end up taking it to bmw...

·
Registered
306 Posts
And also because I just replaced that sensor earlier today.
If there is a running issue the sensor could be reading correctly and the cam is just actually in the wrong position. That's why I think you should check the VANOS solenoids and or swap them to see if it moves to the other cam.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If there is a running issue it the sensor could be reading correctly and the cam is just actually in the wrong position. That's why I think you should check the VANOS solenoids and or swap them to see if it moves to the other cam.

Ok I will check it out. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Oh well... Thanks for the help. I’ll check it tomorrow and give you an update I guess haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts