BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got this letter yet? I don't have any type of state emissions, and warranty is already done, so I'm thinking this is a engine detune, and something I'm not going to get. Does anyone have any info on what they're actually doing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got it today as well. I think they have to warranty the emissions for longer than the basic warranty by law, but don't hold me to that. So it could effect that warranty. I just wonder if it will effect the performance of the car? I live in Florida and we they don't do emissions testing here so it is no big deal to me, but I guess I should help out the earth and get it done.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,186 Posts
Yeah, definitely a "de-tune".

Next thing, BMW will be vaxxing your car...

Sheesh

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I got the recall notification. It has the following language under the Repair section:
"Failure to have this complimentary repair work performed could be determined as lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle and may jeopardize your full protection under the emissions warranty provisions."

It sounds like they are afraid owners will not want to comply. I am guessing a reduction in power and/or mileage. My X3 is out of the factory warranty.

🍺

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got the recall notification. It has the following language under the Repair section:
"Failure to have this complimentary repair work performed could be determined as lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle and may jeopardize your full protection under the emissions warranty provisions."

It sounds like they are afraid owners will not want to comply. I am guessing a reduction in power and/or mileage. My X3 is out of the factory warranty.

🍺
Standard Exhaust emissions warranty goes Longer if your vehicle has California emissions installed, which most do. Seven years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I received similar notice. The number is different since I live in Canada.
I have made appointment with a BMW dealer. I hope the engine will not under perform after they fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If you live in California, you won't be able to do the annual renewal of your registration without having this emission recall done. We have no choice. Also, note that for all US states, a failure to have this done may void your emission warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mississippi doesn't even have vehicle safety inspections, people ride around with half a car missing and nobody says anything to them, so not worried about that. Nearest BMW dealer repair is 1 1/2 hours away, so don't think it's worth the drive to get this done for me.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I had the emission recall service done on my wife's 2015 X4 (F26) 2.8i.
Old I-level: 14-07-504 - Car was produced 08/20/2014
New I-level: 21-11-535 - guessing this is the November I-level from 2021.
I had extensive coding and that was all wiped out with this update of the DME. Guessing they flashed all modules in the car.
This does not feel like a "de-tune" at all as some had speculated. Same old pep. However, I now see the car is running much, much cooler. My oil temp gauge is in F and it used to indicate abt 230 F (110 C). Now it hovers around 195 F (91 C). Has anyone else noticed a change in their oil temperature?
I plan to check the real live oil temp (not just the gauge on the dash) next few days.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Update to original post:
The max oil temperature is indeed 195F (90C). Seems very low. Anyone?
Also, the dealer flashing everything (updated I-level) has resulted in my car no longer displaying the tire pressure or tire temp. The screen is there, but the wheels are now greyed out and no values are shown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is currently in the shop right now. They told me that it was at least an overnight thing. Kinda surprised me since iti's software.

So, my question is, if it's wiping out coding, will it wipe out my Carplay coding too? I had that done by a third party. (works perfectly by the way).

- late 2017 X3

I had the emission recall service done on my wife's 2015 X4 (F26) 2.8i.
Old I-level: 14-07-504 - Car was produced 08/20/2014
New I-level: 21-11-535 - guessing this is the November I-level from 2021.
I had extensive coding and that was all wiped out with this update of the DME. Guessing they flashed all modules in the car.
This does not feel like a "de-tune" at all as some had speculated. Same old pep. However, I now see the car is running much, much cooler. My oil temp gauge is in F and it used to indicate abt 230 F (110 C). Now it hovers around 195 F (91 C). Has anyone else noticed a change in their oil temperature?
I plan to check the real live oil temp (not just the gauge on the dash) next few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update.. just got a call.. and I'm one of the 'special ones' - another forum said that this update can sometimes brick the car. Of course, the dealer only said that the update 'failed' and they are trying again. Kinda frustrating for what should be a simple software update. Also note - I had Carplay working perfectly...however all the places i checked said that my car (by VIN) did not have the right hardware to handle it.

So, warning, be prepared for them to maybe have your car for a few days. ( I did get a nice loaner, 330e).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Update.. just got a call.. and I'm one of the 'special ones' - another forum said that this update can sometimes brick the car. Of course, the dealer only said that the update 'failed' and they are trying again. Kinda frustrating for what should be a simple software update. Also note - I had Carplay working perfectly...however all the places i checked said that my car (by VIN) did not have the right hardware to handle it.

So, warning, be prepared for them to maybe have your car for a few days. ( I did get a nice loaner, 330e).
My dealer said it was a software update. They only worked on the car for just over an hour. I think you can expect your Carplay functionality to be gone.
BTW - would like to know more about the Carplay thing. Are you an Apple or Android guy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer said it was a software update. They only worked on the car for just over an hour. I think you can expect your Carplay functionality to be gone.
BTW - would like to know more about the Carplay thing. Are you an Apple or Android guy?
That's gonna suck. I did mention that I had Carplay to the service advisor and that it better still be there :). I didn't mention 'how' i got it. But, I'm a bit concerned since their records likely show the incorrect hardware (which may be why they update for the recall didn't work correctly)

And, I'm an Apple guy at the moment but have had android phones. The carplay has been working very well for me. I was never affected by the bugs that have popped up. The guy that did my Carplay was awesome... he did it remotely and it initially bricked my car but he busted his butt to fix it right away and then also refunded my money for the trouble. (i'd have to look for his info, he posts on the 'other' forum). My mfg date was sept 2017 and all the info says 2017s didn't have Carplay support. So....wondering if I got an early 2018 head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

Yup, Carplay gone, and the software is set to default. Nothing retained. I'll try to get the dealer to put Carplay back.. but if not, back to easybimmercoding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts