BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of what cams will fit the M62TUB44? I heard that the 4.6 cams from the X5 should drop in. Is that true or no? Thanks for the input guys

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

· Registered
15,976 Posts
What do you suppose that will do for you? The cams are designed for the specific engine. I doubt you'll realize any performance increase. These engines are tuned electronically for a specific output these days.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I guess cams are unimportant in increasing power huh? That's weird. I guess muscle cars have been doing it wrong all along too? No they give more lift and flow. I would tune it later.

· Registered
15,976 Posts
Have you compared duration and lift between the camshafts on the two engines? I'm not sure where that info resides, but that might be the first step in determining if this is feasible.

It's also possible that the VANOS operating profile might be different for the two. That would tailor the torque curve.

These are not small-block Chevy engines!

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
So I guess cams are unimportant in increasing power huh? That's weird. I guess muscle cars have been doing it wrong all along too? No they give more lift and flow. I would tune it later.

No, it`s YOU who`s missing the boat, Bucko....BMW spends a *sh!tload* of R&D money developing a well-engineered system which will give maximum performance under all design parameters. (Why do you think these cars are so friggin` expensive ?)

Even something as relatively simple as the air intake system is hard to improve on, and luminaries such as Steve Dinan have admitted that their carefully-crafted (and expensive) CAI had *maybe* a one horsepower difference from stock.

These engines are not like Hondas, Supras, Mustangs, `Vettes, or whatever, where you can bolt on a few simple parts and pick up 60 or 70 HP....it`s more like $100 per horsepower of improvement on these engines.

· Registered
6,964 Posts
+1, the BMW is a highly engineered and optimized system. Changing any parameter of the car (engine, suspension, etc.) will result in trade offs. To simply change a component without knowing the outcome is experimentation, whereby your results could be good but more likely bad. If you wish to improve an aspect of the car, research into who has done what and with what effects so that your reduce the risks associated with randomly changing parts.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
i have heard the 4.6 and the 4.4 heads are the same. so dropping in the 4.6 cams would be of no use as I believe they are the same as the 4.4 cams.

VAC Motorsports make cams for the 540i with the m62 (non-tu) motor. You could call them and ask if they could make ones for the vanos motor.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks bricas that's the response I was looking for. I clearly know that they spend millions of hours on research. I was asking because I wanted to know what has and hasn't been done. Besides wasn't the 4.6 tuned for more torque than the 4.4? As I recall it was 325 at 3600 for the 4.4 and 354 at 3700 for the 4.6. I still need to check out the lift and duration but I've been busy. Like I said I was looking into what people had been using and confirming if a rumor was true or not. Was not expecting to get such a negative attitude from all of you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.