Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am at my wit's end. I have a 1998 e39 528i with 162,000 miles, I have replaced almost everything on this car (due to former owner neglect) and I am now down to one code which is holding me up from getting it snogged. I only have a few days left and have replaced it twice on aftermarket and one oem and I clear code with my creader pro 909. Check engine light goes off until I shut off the engine and then comes back on when I start it up. I have done the crank shaft wire update and have replaced vanos solonoid, and about everything to refresh the engine, (oil change, spark plugs, ECT.) The car runs great just keeps throwing a code. I have checked all the wiring, connections, ECT and replaced it with an oem part and still a code comes up when I start the engine after clearing the code. Help me please! Thank you for this forum. I have learned so much.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,472 Posts
crank or cam? CPS seems to be used interchangeably....

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,556 Posts
So, what is exactly the error code ? ... "which is holding me up from getting it snogged."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, a long story shortened, I am down to 7 days left to have it snogged here in northern California and I have had countless issues with it since I bought it last winter. I bought the car because it was in perfect condition and it belonged to a classmate who was struggling with bills. It had 159,000 miles on it and being a returning student at the age of 43 and losing everything my kids and I had when Paradise Ca burned to the ground. I needed a car. Honestly I really do like the car but since repairing just about everything it's now a love hate relationship. It's in all ways, a "new car" and I have learned about BMW first hand which is awesome (I love learning).
So I am down to trying to figure out why I only am getting 2.5 volts from the center wire an nothing from the 3rd wire which should be 12 volts? Yes?... I have yet to find a pinout diagram that matches the wire colors on the harness that match the CPS and so I have no reference to make sure the wires are in the plug correctly. So I have just bought the third CPS and I don't want to install it yet until I am sure everything else is working properly. I really don't want to burn up another CPS or risk damaging it before I smog it.
So if you folks can help me figure it out, I would be grateful.
Also If there is any other fixed that are optional. Or if anyone can advise me on some performance upgrades for a newb what would you all recommend.?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
You have 3 wires going to the cam sensor.
One is 12 volts that comes from one of the fuses in the fuse block on the back side of the DME box.
Another wire is ground.
The third wire is the signal output from the cam sensor that goes to the DME.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
This from my 540, your wiring should be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One is 12 volts that comes from one of the fuses in the fuse block on the back side of the DME box.
Another wire is ground.
Another wire is ground.
Ok so I checked the fuses and they were good, however I am still only getting 2.5 volts from the wire. I installed the new sensor and checked. My harness is pretty clean. I guess I have to chase the wires to see where I am getting a voltage drop. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I checked the fuses and they were good, however I am still only getting 2.5 volts from the wire. I installed the new sensor and checked. My harness is pretty clean. I guess I have to chase the wires to see where I am getting a voltage drop. Any recommendations?
Oh and now I am getting 2 fault codes - camshaft Position Sensor and crankshaft sensor errors...

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,556 Posts
What's next ? another code may show up : Throttle position sensor.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts