BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trans runs fine, but it is showing signs of aging. I was thinking what if I wanted to put a transmission from a later model e39 with the 5spd ZF trannys? I'm sure a manual swap is next to impossible (my first choice) but i guess if it would be more cost effective to go auto, i'd like to avoid the 4L30e altogether. Seems like a problematic unit.

Let me know what you guys think...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Why do you think its problematic ? if that tranny goes it'll be alot cheaper to fix it than the zf thats for sure ... i think these tranny holds and feels pretty good

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree these trannys seem to be less prone to catastrophic meltdowns and should be serviceable by most transmission rebuilders being Gm in origin. unlike the Platinum plated ZFs in the later cars.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not sure why you feel that these autos are more problem prone than the ZFs (at first blush I'd claim the opposite). Also, why spend extra money to end up with just another slushie? Can there possibly be all that much of a difference between one to another? I mean, one has 4 boring non-interactive gears and the other has 5 boring non-interactive gears. Some ZF's have the tiptronic bit, or whatever it's called, but that has to be the lamest gimmick going (speaking to the several makers I've driven, not just BMW here).

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
no way...theres defenetly an upgrade from the 4 to 5 speed auto ive driven both.....i have the 5 in mine no problems so far with 140k

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just seems every other tranny thread is about the 4L30e probs... and every OTHER thread is about how to change the oil in our trannys (all the e39 trannys) haha. I agree with the 4L30es being cheaper to service. Oh well. Anyone ever do a swap to a manual? Sure sure its more money, cheaper to get another car, etc etc. but what if i actually like my own car and the mods I put into it? Hah. thx

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can't recall when i read about a 4l30 transmission problem any time in the recent past. Here are some details on this tranny. It was used in sever 4 wheel drives as well(vehicross and Rodeo/pathfinders) so it is not a weak transmission. The rebuild kit cost $140 bucks FWIW.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001206054700/http://www.gmpowertrain.com/tran4L30PS.htm

Did a search for 4L30E on the forum and returned 2 Obvios failures reported on this forum and this thread about a bunch of 97s with well over 100K with no tranny issues at all. Where are you seeing all these failures you mentioned?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211191&highlight=4L30E

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I see nothing but trouble in swaping auto to auto or autp to manual.

Would it bolt up? If not forget it right there. The electronics in these cars are highly integrated so I doubt you could make the tranny fully integrated whether auto or manual.

It would be easier to swap in a Wankle engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts