1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
In the US, NHTSA says:

September 30, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V601000
Debris in Hybrid Battery may Cause Fire
Potential Number of Units Affected 4,509
Debris may have entered one or more of the hybrid battery cells during their production.

If there's another recall in the NHTSA doesn't know about it yet and it appears to affect some vehicles built between Feb & Sept. Europe appears to have a lot of people impacted and there BMW is offering compensation - no word on compensation from anyone in the US AFAIK and the # of reported vehicles seems less but who knows.

To complicate matters, BMWUSA.com and BMW.ca appear to have pulled the previously posted 45e features and specs which is usually a move when major changes are coming (or at least the original features/specs are in doubt).

BMW isn't providing a lot of info and dealers don't seem to know either (or if they do they're not saying).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,994 Posts
Elsewhere GreenCarCongress reported poorly finished welds as a source of trouble.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The weld issue and cell contamination are two different issues, and covered in two different activities. Each can result in similar problems, though, but the fix is potentially different. Some vehicles affected in Europe is related to a defective cable. BMW doesn't make every part in their vehicles, and while they set standards for their suppliers, and require some level of testing, generally, once they arrive at BMW, they only get spot checked, so problems can slip through if there's a defective batch. Then, not every item in that batch is likely faulty, so the number of affected vehicles may not indicate how many are actually faulty, but a list of those that need to be checked to be sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife drives a X3 30e which is also affected by this recall. I've linked a couple of documents from the NHTSA announcement of what appears to be this recall. Of interest, if I'm reading it correctly, is the BMW estimates that only 1% of the vehicles produced in the time frame covered may have the defect.

Her car was a factory order submitted in June 2020, built in early July 2020 and delivered to the dealer on July 9, 2020. We picked it up on the 13th of July. To date, we have not had a notification that her car is affected and when you look up it's VIN on the BMW recall lookup function it comes back as having no open recalls. It's been charged dozens of times, in fact, at present, two thirds of her total mileage has been in EV mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a call from BMW NA today on the recall. I was told

Don't plug in my car
Don't use sport mode
Don't have an ETA for a fix

Would you take 1000 for your troubles...

Hmm.

·
Registered
2016 M235i
25 Posts
I’m not sure what to make of the news. I just got my VIN so production to to start soon. Presumably they won’t be installing the faulty batteries. I tried to download the manual but got the message not available for this vehicle (X5 45e). Previously on the thread it was mentioned that that spec sheets were also down. Seems like some change is coming I just hope it’s not a downgrade.

Reactions: GrussGott

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
To get a feel for what's in the manual, find a vehicle at one of the dealers and pull the VIN off of their website, then get a manual for that. You'll probably find that yours won't be much different, if at all, but it will give you a good intro to the features of the vehicle.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I’m not sure what to make of the news. I just got my VIN so production to to start soon. Presumably they won’t be installing the faulty batteries. I tried to download the manual but got the message not available for this vehicle (X5 45e). Previously on the thread it was mentioned that that spec sheets were also down. Seems like some change is coming I just hope it’s not a downgrade.
Here's one in case it's helpful

Attachments

·
Bimmerless
1,070 Posts
You won't be able to access the manual for your vehicle until it finishes production. Mine finished on a Saturday and I couldn't access the manual until the following Monday. This has nothing to do with whatever is causing the spec sheets to have been taken down, it's the way it has been for a while from what I was told by BMW when I called a few weeks ago.

Reactions: SunFun

·
Bimmerless
1,070 Posts
Attaching the one currently posted on BMW's site for the 45e:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received a phone call from BMW Corporate saying there was a recall on the battery that I have in my new 2021 X5 xDrive45e that we picked up the very end of August. I would have to say that it's been running great without any issues. The called me to say that they didn't want us to charge it, and not run it in sport mode because that can charge the battery as well as using paddle shifters. I have as well pasted below the email that they sent me that says the same thing. The representative with BMW said that there have been some 45e's that have caught on fire. They call them "Thermal Events" in the letter. Now we now that Thermal Event = Fire. :) . I just paid an electrician $1000 to install a 60 amp 220 volt line for the new ChargePoint charger that I can use anymore. That being said I'm hopeful that BMW will find a solution to this problem. Certainly it is not acceptable not to use the battery function or sport mode for any extended period of time. It will be interesting to see if it is a re-weld of the battery connection, or replacement of the battery that has to occur. Are they equipped at the dealerships to swap out a hybrid battery or is it going to be easier to produce a new X5 in Spartanburg and ship it to me. I understand that Mitsubishi makes the batteries so I'm guessing it's going to be at their expense but that's between them and BMW. Needless to say that I've only had the vehicle for 7 weeks that this would fall within the guidelines of most lemon laws. I'll post whenever I get an update. Hope this helps!

Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me today regarding the Safety Recall on your 2021 X5 xDrive45e.

As we discussed, your safety is important to us and we wanted to advise you that it’s important that you do not plug in your vehicle for charging. You can continue to drive the vehicle; however, it must be driven in standard mode only, please do not use sport mode.

Important Note: It is recommended that you drain the high-voltage battery. The following instructions are for your specific model:

For BMW 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, X3, X5:

• Using iDrive, go to Settings > Driving mode > Battery Control > Set or leave the charging state at 30%.

At this time, a remedy to repair your vehicle is currently being developed. You will receive a letter in October via First-Class Mail advising you of this Safety Recall. If the remedy is available, we request that you schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center. If the remedy is not available, you will receive a follow-up letter as soon as the remedy becomes available.

Should you need to reach me, please email or call me at 1-855-269-3361, Monday through Friday from 8:39a.m. to 4:30p.m. Eastern Time.

We care about your safety and are sorry for any inconvenience this recall may cause.

Thanks again for your time.

The recall concerns the vehicle’s high-voltage battery which may not have been produced to supplier specifications. When charging the battery, this could lead to a short-circuit and, in rare cases, a thermal event.

Your safety is important to us, so I want to advise you that you should not plug in your vehicle for charging. You can continue to drive the vehicle; however, it must be driven in standard mode only, please do not use sport mode.

Important Notes:

Your safety is important to us, so I want to advise you that you should not plug in your vehicle for charging.
You can continue to drive the vehicle; however, it must be driven in hybrid mode only, please do not use sport mode or use the shift paddles (if equipped) as this will charge the battery.

At this time, a remedy to repair your vehicle is currently being developed. You will receive a letter in October via First-Class Mail advising you of this Safety Recall. If the remedy is available, we request that you schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center. If the remedy is not available, you will receive a follow-up letter as soon as the remedy becomes available.

Should you need to contact me, I can be reached at 1-855-269-3361, Monday through Friday from 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m.. Eastern Time.

Once again, we care about your safety and are sorry for any inconvenience this recall may cause.
Thank you.

·
Bimmerless
1,070 Posts
That being said I'm hopeful that BMW will find a solution to this problem. Certainly it is not acceptable not to use the battery function or sport mode for any extended period of time. It will be interesting to see if it is a re-weld of the battery connection, or replacement of the battery that has to occur. Are they equipped at the dealerships to swap out a hybrid battery or is it going to be easier to produce a new X5 in Spartanburg and ship it to me. I understand that Mitsubishi makes the batteries so I'm guessing it's going to be at their expense but that's between them and BMW. Needless to say that I've only had the vehicle for 7 weeks that this would fall within the guidelines of most lemon laws. I'll post whenever I get an update. Hope this helps!
They don't seem to have a problem any longer, as the ones coming off the line now are not included in this recall. Thus., they clearly have a way to remedy the problem, though it seems unclear how difficult it is to "fix" a vehicle that has already been built.

I would be shocked (no pun intended) if they even entertained replacing these vehicles with new ones, as that would leave them with hundreds (or thousands) of corrected and near-new vehicles that they could not sell as new. The financial impact of this would be enormous. There is virtually nothing on these vehicles that cannot be removed and replaced, it's simply a matter of how involved that might be.

At a minimum, I would think you would be entitled to some compensation if you are unable to use your X5 on electric power for more than a week or two, or if it takes them more than a few weeks to repair. You should also be able to get a loaner vehicle while yours is in the shop for correction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought xdrive45e on 9/21/20 and drove it for a week by charging it everyday. I noticed even with all night charging, it would only charge to 40%. So I took it to the dealer I did not buy from, and they said there was this recall announced on 9/24/20 - literally 3 days after the purchase. I sent numerous emails to the manager at the dealer and also contacted the corporate. They compensated me with $1000, but really I just wanted to be able to return the car. I bought it for the plug-in hybrid driving, but cannot even use it. I received the compensation based on their anticipation of getting the remedy within next 1 or 2 months. I am not sure if I did a right thing. What else can I do about this situation? Can I just take it to the dealer and walk out with a loaner without too much hassle? Can I take this up to the Lemon Law? Or should I just wait for the remedy? I need some advice.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,994 Posts
Lemon Law details depend on the state. They’re state laws.

·
Bimmerless
1,070 Posts
I bought xdrive45e on 9/21/20 and drove it for a week by charging it everyday. I noticed even with all night charging, it would only charge to 40%. So I took it to the dealer I did not buy from, and they said there was this recall announced on 9/24/20 - literally 3 days after the purchase. I sent numerous emails to the manager at the dealer and also contacted the corporate. They compensated me with $1000, but really I just wanted to be able to return the car. I bought it for the plug-in hybrid driving, but cannot even use it. I received the compensation based on their anticipation of getting the remedy within next 1 or 2 months. I am not sure if I did a right thing. What else can I do about this situation? Can I just take it to the dealer and walk out with a loaner without too much hassle? Can I take this up to the Lemon Law? Or should I just wait for the remedy? I need some advice.
I read somewhere on one of these forums where someone had a similar situation with a brand new vehicle having issues and they simply never went back and picked it up. They contacted the lender and said the vehicle had problems and that they wanted to cancel the purchase, and they never made a single payment.

So I suppose you could consider that, as the dealer and BMW may not find it worth their time to fight you over it, and simply let you cancel the deal altogether. However, if you already accepted the $1k compensation, you may have agreed to some terms that would make walking away a bit more complicated.

If it were me, I might push them to make all of the payments for the vehicle while it was in for repairs and also provide me with a comparable loaner. If you could walk away with a fixed vehicle after two months and having had BMW make a couple of thousand dollars in payments, that would be reasonable.

I have to say that after having a 45e for 48 hours now, it appears to be a really incredible vehicle. Significantly improved over the F15 40e version in almost every way.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
As to charging...you are likely not charging at the full rate the supplied device can provide. It seems by default, and sometimes it resets itself to that value, it is set to charge at a maximum rate of 6A. The provided device can provide 10A in the USA, and that will make a big difference in how fast it will charge. So, go into the iDrive menus and check...you can set it to (I think the option is) FULL, and it will take the maximum the devices can provide. AN EVSE sends out a signal that announces how much power it can provide, then it is up to the vehicle to decide how much it can use, never exceeding it's internal maximum or the device's capacity. That internal maximum could be from a menu choice, or physical hardware (that in the X5 can handle up to 16A and 3700W - power=volts*amps). By default, most BMWs limit the maximum power they can consume during charging in case the device supplied is on a shared circuit (say with your garage door opener, or lights, or who knows what) so that it doesn't trip the breaker. Unlike say the UK where the plug has a fuse in it to protect the device, stuff sold here (while it may have an internal fuse), the protection is at the power panel and protects the wiring, not the device plugged in.

A vehicle built on your date may not actually have the battery issue...did they say yours was on the list? The issue appears to be mostly an issue with the battery supplier where some contaminants got into them that doesn't show up initially during assembly test (but probably should have on the raw material check unless it was in the machine that fills the batteries).

·
Bimmerless
1,070 Posts
As to charging...you are likely not charging at the full rate the supplied device can provide. It seems by default, and sometimes it resets itself to that value, it is set to charge at a maximum rate of 6A. The provided device can provide 10A in the USA, and that will make a big difference in how fast it will charge. So, go into the iDrive menus and check...you can set it to (I think the option is) FULL, and it will take the maximum the devices can provide. AN EVSE sends out a signal that announces how much power it can provide, then it is up to the vehicle to decide how much it can use, never exceeding it's internal maximum or the device's capacity. That internal maximum could be from a menu choice, or physical hardware (that in the X5 can handle up to 16A and 3700W - power=volts*amps). By default, most BMWs limit the maximum power they can consume during charging in case the device supplied is on a shared circuit (say with your garage door opener, or lights, or who knows what) so that it doesn't trip the breaker.
To confirm this information, when I took delivery of my 45e this week, my SA asked if I had a L2 charger at home. When I told him I did, he had one of the BMW Geniuses go and change the settings in the car to make sure it could accept max charge rates. He indicated that by default, they set it to a reduced charging rate.

When I got home and plugged in, it went from under 10% charge to nearly 100% in about 4.5 hours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts